Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Hotel with Baby?

H and I are planning a few trips with DS when he will be 11-14 months (he is currently almost 8 months). We have never slept in the same room as him (he was in his crib from night 1) and currently have a good thing going as far as night time sleep is concerned. How do you best handle sleeping in a hotel room with LO? His bedtime is 7:00 pm... do we just go to bed then? Is the only real option to book a junior suite that at least has a bedroom and a sitting room? I want to make sure that DS gets the sleep that he needs, but I'm not sure the best way to help that to happen.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hotel with Baby?

• I agree that you will probably want a suite so you can close the door and let the little one sleep. We did this with our 7mo old. Don't forget a fan to drown out hallway noise!
  • A suite is my first choice for if we will be somewhere at least 2 nights. But, we made a bed n breakfast room work in August without much trouble at all for 4 nights. My 5 year old gets the pullout bed (or his own bed in a hotel room) and my infant gets the pack n play we bring. We put the kids further from the door and bathroom to minimize disruption. DH and I aren't big tv watchers, so we would read or do Internet if the kids are sleeping.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • The only time DS has stayed in a hotel, we didn't have the option of a separate room. We ended up putting a sheet up kind of like a tent held up by the doors over his crib. Once we did this, he slept fine. We also brought his white noise machine.
  • We have always just got a regular room with our LO. But, the only reason it works is she has a LATE bedtime, earliest is 10 latest 11:30pm......woomp wuuumm :(. I know I should get her to bed earlier and will probably regret it before too much longer. She sleeps well even with the tv on so we don't struggle with that very much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • We always get a suite. I was reading on another board someone puts the pack in play in the bathroom at night time and wheels it back out when they are ready for bed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • I get a suite. I also like having a kitchen to make bottles and baby food. My twins go to bed at 6:30 pm so it would be really hard to share a room with them!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    IVF #1 BFP b/g twins!; loss at 23 weeks due to I.C. and PTL. IVF #2 BFP 5/26/12; due date 2/6/13; TAC surgery 7/20/12, blessed with another girl & boy! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We stayed in a hotel for the first time over the weekend. It was an adventure. Pack and Play wouldn't fit in the closet (yes, we actually considered that) so we put it in a corner behind the desk in the room. I hung a blanket over the desk so it blocked us from his view. 

I requested a room on the top floor at the end of the hall, so we'd have minimum elevator and hallway noise...and so there would only be someone on one side us (so we disturbed as few people as possible). 

LO is teething, so he had one wake up at 2am. I felt really bad, but we got him back to sleep eventually. I also took a benadryl so I could sleep. I wake up that easily, and have a tough time getting back. Even with that, I was waking up every hour or so. Not fun, but we managed for one night. If we had to go any longer, I'd have to have a suite.
    Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi - We just traveled with LO for the first time when she was 9 MO old.  We did an Embassy Suites.....it included breakfast and happy hour and the accommodations were nice.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think getting a suite is optimal. However, if you can't do that, I know people who have done two different thigns: 1) rig up a sheet to create a second "room" with separation - the down side is you still have to be quiet and dark, although you could probably read on a kindle/nook etc. 2) put baby in the bathroom - the downside here is that you cannot go to the bathroom after baby goes to bed; in this case, my friend who does this gets ready for bed before putting baby down and/or keeps her toiletries in the room with a couple of cups of water (a la pre-runnign water days) for brushign teeth etc and goes down to the lobby if she needs to pee. It's more of a pain in soem ways, but it also means you can stay up and talk and watch TV and so forth.
  • sorry about typos. sheesh.
  • We're going on vacation in Nov and will be spending 11 nights with DD in a hotel. A suite was not an option for us as we're going to Disney and single rooms are expensive enough. Luckily for us, DD doesn't go down for the night until 10 or 10:30 (she usually naps from 8:30 or 9 until 10 and then eats for the last time) but she also has no problem sleeping with the TV on as she has napped in the living room during the evening since she was born. The hotel is providing us a pack-n-play which I have purchased cute sheets for, so the plan will be to keep the room dark-ish and the TV on low and she should be fine. My biggest concern is how I'll sleep. DD and DH sleep like logs but I tend to be a lighter sleeper and DD tends to move a lot in her sleep, so I'm not sure she won't keep me awake. However, my parents and sister are traveling with us and Mom has offered to keep DD in her room whenever we need, so we may have to switch off some nights....
    It sounds to me like it really boils down to what kind of sleeper your baby and you are...if your LO is a good sleeper, I would think a single room would be ok.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• We traveled to St. Louis when DD was 6 months and stayed in a hotel. DD usually goes to bed around 7/7:30 pm but while we were there she was so interested in everything going ont hat she went to be later after we got back to the hotel from hanging out with my family (around 11 pm central time). We had one room and she slept through every noise! GL traveling!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We put DD to sleep while it was quiet and once she was asleep turned on the TV. It worked when she was 8 months old, I'm hoping it works again next month.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"