Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

MMR vaccine

I know the MMR vaccine will be coming up soon for our LO and I would really like to wait for her to get it until she is two. She isn't going to be in daycare so I don't really see a need for such a big vaccine this early. I am going to ask my pedi about delaying the vaccine on my next visit. I'm hoping she doesn't give us pushback. Has anyone had pediatricians who are against delaying certain vaccines? Are there certain types of pediatricians to look for who allow for altered vaccination schedules?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: MMR vaccine

• Options
    I must have misread the chart I was looking at, I thought it started at 6 months. I still feel like she  is a little young. I don't like the idea of getting so many vaccines at once when they have a fairly weak immune system still. While I know it is a rare side effect, there is a possibility of a very high fever and it is more likely to occur when the child is younger. I don't feel comfortable with the risk and I feel like it is unlikely she is going to be exposed to any of the diseases until she is in school.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I really dont want to have a debate about it. I was just trying to ask: 1) has anyone had pediatricians who are against delaying certain vaccines? and 2) are there certain types of pediatricians to look for who allow for altered vaccination schedules?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Umm Im not refusing to vaccinate. I wanted to delay vaccination. I really wasn't trying to get into a debate about it, sorry I asked. I should have just asked my two questions without background info.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If your child leaves your house or anyone enters your house, she risks being infected.  Truthfully, since MOST kids are vaccinated, her risk of catching one of those diseases at school isn't very high.  It's out in the general public where people are not vaccinating and don't believe they have to because they're not at risk (i.e. you)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Its usually around 12-18 months old. I did push my sons back till he was 2. My Dr had no problem with it since he stays at home.
    I did it because my friends son had a severe reaction after his mmr vaccine and it spooked me. Our Dr completely understood.
    I would definitely discuss this with your Dr.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You know what they say: "Educate before you vaccinate". I agree, these discussions get heated! Talk to your pedi. I recently switched Pedi's/offices to one that was more understanding and supportive about my concerns.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

CafeMom Tickers

• Options
    My mother almost died of the measles in the '50s.  My parents were older and I always heard these terrible stories about kids getting polio, measles, etc.  I would much rather have my son experience a difficult reaction to a vaccine - even if it means 5+ hours of inconsolable crying - then have him contract a potentially fatal, yet preventable disease.  I don't think that the effects of those diseases are vivid enough in public memory but before vaccines they were a total menace.  
  • Options

She should really really get vaccinated once she is old enough and ready. Daycare isn't the only place where a child could pick up measles, mumps or rubella. Measles can kill a child who contracts it. So far as I know, no children have died or gotten autism from the vaccine, despite what Jenny McCarthy may want you to believe.

Please, vaccinate your child once you can.

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/complications.html

https://www.standard.net/stories/2011/09/02/measles-left-baby-39teetering-near-death39

• Options
    Okay, to clarify, I am NOT worried about autism. Never mentioned it once. There are other reasons aside from autism that people want to delay vaccines. I want her to get vaccinated. I like vaccines. I am concerned at the potential of a high fever as a side effect of this particular vaccine. I have looked it up, it is a potential side effect though it is not common. High fevers can cause many problems, including ferbile seizures. I would feel more comfortable having her vaccinated when she is a little older (two).

I do not see how she would be any more likely to catch any of these diseases before the vaccine can be given at age one than she will be by waiting until age two. I understand you can catch things just going out of the house, but I feel the chance of encountering one of these diseases is much higher once she would go to daycare or school. I was not trying to debate the MMR vaccine. I was just trying to ask two questions, and I appreciate those who actually answered the questions I was asking.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I do not see how she would be any more likely to catch any of these diseases before the vaccine can be given at age one than she will be by waiting until age two. 
    I can't really understand what this means.  Are you saying you don't understand how your child would be more likely to get a disease in two years of not being vaccinated than one?  It's the same idea behind why you think your kid is less likely to get a disease from being exposed to fewer children at daycare.

You're playing an odds game, is all posters here are saying, and sometimes you lose.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Okay, to clarify, I am NOT worried about autism. Never mentioned it once. There are other reasons aside from autism that people want to delay vaccines. I want her to get vaccinated. I like vaccines. I am concerned at the potential of a high fever as a side effect of this particular vaccine. I have looked it up, it is a potential side effect though it is not common. High fevers can cause many problems, including ferbile seizures. I would feel more comfortable having her vaccinated when she is a little older (two).

I do not see how she would be any more likely to catch any of these diseases before the vaccine can be given at age one than she will be by waiting until age two. I understand you can catch things just going out of the house, but I feel the chance of encountering one of these diseases is much higher once she would go to daycare or school. I was not trying to debate the MMR vaccine. I was just trying to ask two questions, and I appreciate those who actually answered the questions I was asking.
    Your argument makes zero sense.  The less time you have to encounter something shitty, the better.  So it is twice as risky for her to wait until 2 than until 1.  That's an entire year of protection she won't have.  And the kids at daycare, with rare exception ARE vaccinated.  Actually, I'm unsure a private daycare even has to allow an unvaccinated child like a public school does if the parent says it's for religious reasons or whatever.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    We do an alternative vaccine schedule. Are very PRO vaccine, but also have concerns regarding so many given at once. I had a bad bad reaction on occasion, and we would like to know which one our LO is reacting too if it happens to her.

If you have concerns, but are still wanting to vaccinate. Check out the Dr. Sears Vaccine Book. He is a very pro vaccine pedi who has concerns of his own and addresses things very well.

Our pedi had no problem with this. She is our family practitioner and also a PA not an MD. I know a hot button issue! Good luck! HOpe that book will maybe help you find the info you are l ooking for.

• Options
    emg2010emg2010 member
    edited October 2013
     Has anyone had pediatricians who are against delaying certain vaccines? Are there certain types of pediatricians to look for who allow for altered vaccination schedules?

Yes my pedi office advises against delaying vaccines however will delay vaccines if that's what you request. They do not accept patients that chose to not vaccinate at all. We had a discussion with our doctor about delaying the vaccines and why we are choosing to do so. There are doctors that follow delay schedules. You can find them on Dr. Sears website. Ours isn't on there but they will go forward with delaying vaccines.

Some doctors delay vaccines if your child is sick. I think but I'm not sure that the CDC references it on their site that some doctor's may hold off on vaccines if your child is sick. I can't remember if it was the CDC or a state government site but I remember reading that some doctors wait on vaccinations if a child has a fever or is sick. That's not a recommendation by the CDC it was only stating what some doctors chose to do.  When my nephew was due for his MMR, his doctor  delayed the vaccine because he kept getting ear infections. He didn't get his MMR until 20 months. My friend's doctor will hold off on a vaccine if the baby has a slight temperature or even a cold. Her doctor feels their immune system is already fighting something off so it's best to wait until they are better before introduce something else to their immune system.

• Options

kristinyoung111 :  I am neither completely for or against vaccination, I think each parent should do what they feel is best.  I think it's unfortunate that so many people are pressuring you to have your child vaccinated.  You shouldn't be pressured to do something you don't want to, regardless of what it is.

With that being said, you should educate yourself about the pros and cons of delaying vaccination.  And I would also recommend "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears. 

And of course talk to your pediatrician.  HOWEVER, NOT ALL PEDIATRICIANS ARE GOOD OR KNOW THE FACTS REGARDING VACCINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I work in the medical field and have a doctoral degree, so I know this first hand.   Some pediatricians stick to the vaccine schedule but don't know the data that supports it or is against it. 

So again, educated yourself and do what YOU think is right.

And to answer your questions, some pediatricians may or may not be okay with delaying the MMR.  Your best bet to find one that will (if you choose to do so) it to ask people you know, a midwife at a hospital or birth center may know of one, or maybe search the internet for a discussion board or mom's group in your area.

• Options
    Congrats to you Kristin, for asking some hard questions. Sorry to hear and read that people are judging you on that. Our GP is letting us delay as long as we want, slightly begrudgingly so. If you want to message me personally that would be fine but in no way am I going to lower myself to reply to the fear mongering angry moms on this forum:) peace.
  • Options
    Hi Elmoali, just wondering, did you report his reactions? So many reactions go un reported. Sounds awful. I have seen some pretty bad reactions with the kids I teach.. And yes, physically it is ' bad stuff' that is in the injection. But few people care to dig deeper into that. Good luck with your decisions and I hope that your kids do better with their next set, if you choose to do so. Peace
  • Options
    mamato3girlsmamato3girls member
    edited October 2013
    As someone whose child landed in the hospital twice with vaccine reactions because I felt pushed into getting the vaccinations when everything in me was screaming not to I urge you to do your own research. I am not anti vaccine. My kids will ultimately have all their vaccines (with the exception of a few and my dd who reacted of course won't get that one again) but i will never agree to doing more than 1 vaccine at a time, had I listened to my gut the first time we wouldn't have had to make two trips to the hospital but because I was talked into a combo shot that contained 3 different things we had no idea which one my daughter reacted to. Do your research and be confident in your decision no matter what it is, know that both decisions have the potential to be risky so you have to decide for your family which option you feel most comfortable with. FWIW my ped used to push the CDC schedule, now she actually prefers her patients split up their vaccines and do 1 a month or 1 every other month until they are caught up. My kids get 1 vaccine every 3-4 months. By the time they are 7 they are completely caught up with the exception of 2.
  • Options
    During a recent outbreak of measles in the upstate ny area 85% of those affected received both rounds of the vaccine and 12% received only one round... In addition to that fact DNA from aborted fetuses is used in the making of that vaccine... Some studies have shown that certain vaccines from certain companies contain the actual brain cells of those fetuses causing the body to attack the vaccinated child's own brain cells... Do your own research and make your own educated decision... I have
  • Options

I would say to you don't delay the vaccinations. If your child is susceptible to febrile seizures they will get them regardless which to me is the only other real concern about MMR. Your child doesn't have a weak immune system, rather a very strong one and the doses of MMR are so small it's nothing to even worry about. Remember children are exposed to 100's of 1000's of germs a day and they certainly don't get sick from that, it actually builds their immunity. Same for the immunizations; it builds their immunities.  My daughter has many issues, including asthmatic tendencies and allergies, but that did not stop us from giving MMR on schedule, she was fine a bit warm afterward but no different than before. She's now 2 years and 3 months and going strong. Speaking 6 to 7 word sentences and just hitting milestone after milestone. Frankly, there are so many measles outbreaks happening now that I couldn't risk exposing her. I also asked four friends and family members that are doctors (one a pedi)  if they gave their children MMR, they all did, that convinced me, if four doctors will give their children MMR protection why wouldn't I. Incidentally the reason I asked them was that their children are all either a month or two older or younger than our daughter so it was extremely relevant to me to find out if they had done this.  I agree with everyone here who says stay off the internet as it concerns immunizations. I personally know of a 4 month old baby who was exposed to HIB at a pediatrician's office and almost died, the culprit, a sick child who hadn't been immunized exposed that baby to that disease. Lastly, two months ago while shopping in the city we live in there was a baby that was brought to Costco and Target that was in a full measles outbreak, there was an outbreak that occurred as a result of that and while no babies died, many were extremely sick and hospitalized. Why risk it. Measles can kill, mumps are painful, endanger your life and your ability to procreate and rubella can also kill. I hope this helps you, please know I am not judging you at all as I was in a similar place too. I really was considering delaying the vaccine for my daughter but after speaking with people in the know I determined that it was the right thing to do.

• Options
    JakMark said:
    During a recent outbreak of measles in the upstate ny area 85% of those affected received both rounds of the vaccine and 12% received only one round... In addition to that fact DNA from aborted fetuses is used in the making of that vaccine... Some studies have shown that certain vaccines from certain companies contain the actual brain cells of those fetuses causing the body to attack the vaccinated child's own brain cells... Do your own research and make your own educated decision... I have

Um...what?
  • Options
    JakMark said:

I am completely in support of people delaying, selectively or not vaccinating but it is things like this that make people think all those who don't vaccinate on schedule are crazy and pulling misinformation out of thin air. It doesnt help those who do not vaccinate on the CDC schedule to say things like this, it only hurts credibility.
  • Options
    There are real and legitimate reasons not to vaccinate on schedule. Like I said several post up I had a child who was hospitalized twice due to vaccinations. Not everyone who chooses to delay and selectively vaccinate is doing so because of misinformation, most are the exact opposite actually. There are always a few out there that want to spout off autism or aborted fetal tissue but the vast majority of us have very real reasons not to follow the CDC recommended schedule. Vaccines can cause reactions, some very serious and some of those reactions can cause long term damage. I will be the first to admit those situations are rare and liked said in my other post there are also risks to not vaccinating on schedule. I don't think anyone who actually has educated themselves on vaccines will tell you that not vaccinating on schedule is completely risk free but for some of us we do have to weigh the risk of both and decide what we can live with.
  • Options
    JakMarkJakMark member
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    Here u go smart asses https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5905a1.htm https://www.cogforlife.org/catholicguide.pdf Put that in ur pipe and smoke it! U want more I got it... Have a nice night haters
  • Options

@JakMark, here you go:

person smoking crack

Dumbass.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"