July 2012 Moms
Options

Daycare food

What kinds of things does your daycare provide for lunch?  I'm curious because our menu just doesn't seem very healthy and I'm wondering if it's the norm.
Dating since 3.8.2008. Married since 6.4.2011. Bryson born on 6.28.2012
 CafeMom Tickers

Re: Daycare food

• Options
    StokedWifeyStokedWifey member
    edited September 2013
    @bellaxanthe Your menu looks like our old center's.  It looks like they make an effort to keep processed food to a minimum and use whole wheat products where it's possible.  You get breakfasts too???
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    Here is a week of the meals our DC provides.  I let LO eat some of the things they offer but most of the time I send substitutes that are similar.  For instance, when they offer chicken nuggets I send the nuggets I make using your recipe or I send my own scrambled eggs because I prefer LO to have fresh, organic eggs instead of the egg mix.

MONDAY 9/23
    Breakfast - Waffles, Applesauce & Milk
    Parent Breakfast - Ham & Cheese Biscuits
    Lunch - BBQ Turkey Sliders, Tater Tots,
    Pineapple Tidbits & Milk
    3pm Snack - Goldfish Crackers

TUESDAY 9/24
    Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs, Grits, Diced
    Pears & Milk
    Parent Breakfast - Chefs Choice
    Lunch - Oriental Chicken w/Rice &
    Vegetables, Mixed Fruit & Milk
    3pm Snack - Cheese & Crackers

WEDNESDAY 9/25
    Breakfast - Pancakes, Diced Peaches & Milk
    Parent Breakfast - Banana Choc Chip Muffins
    Lunch - Chicken Nuggets, Mashed Potatoes,
    Pineapple Tidbits & Milk
    3 pm Snack - Vanilla Wafers & Banana
    Pudding

THURSDAY 9/26
    Breakfast – Oatmeal, Applesauce & Milk
    Parent Breakfast - Cheddar Bay Biscuits
    Lunch - Turkey Stroganoff w/Noodles,
    String Beans, Diced Pears & Milk
    3pm Snack – Fresh Apple Slices

FRIDAY 9/27
    Breakfast - French Toast, Mixed Fruit & Milk
    Parent Breakfast - Peach Muffins
    Lunch - Tuna Noodle Casserole, Green Peas,
    Diced Peaches & Milk
    3pm Snack - Trail Mix
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Breakfasts are usually cereal or eggs and tater tots or biscuit with jelly or cinnamon roll
    Lunch is stuff like shepherd's pie, chicken and veggies, ravioli, Mac n cheese. Always with a fruit or veggie on the side.
    Snacks are usually crackers or fruit.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    StokedWifeyStokedWifey member
    edited September 2013
    imageOne of my coworkers has her copy of the menu, so here's ours.  I'm not thrilled with some of it.  I don't want him eating fried food, nor am I fan of processed meat, especially fish sticks. They also don't offer vegetables and fruit every day.  

@alyafsu88 you're a genius.  I will play around and see what I can do about sending him something similar.
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    @trixi282 Thank you for that first paragraph.  I thought I might be overreacting a little because of my background in nutrition.  You notice on the fry/pizza day, the dessert is pudding?  No fruit, no veggie (sorry, but fries aren't veggies IMO).  
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    hijinx said:
    @trixi282 Thank you for that first paragraph.  I thought I might be overreacting a little because of my background in nutrition.  You notice on the fry/pizza day, the dessert is pudding?  No fruit, no veggie (sorry, but fries aren't veggies IMO).  

I think it was a couple of years ago when congress voted that the tomato paste on pizza counts as a vegetable serving and that french fries also count as a vegetable for school lunches.
    What?  That makes me sad.  The members of Congress are obviously the picture of health.  smh
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    Kdoy705Kdoy705 member
    edited September 2013
    @stokedwifey you are not overreacting at all! honestly, that is unacceptable they aren't getting fruits and veggies every day! Plus, they are serving the kids chips and ice cream? I'd consider discussing with them to see if they can make some simple menu changes to at least cut the junk and add fresh fruits and veggies.

I attached our menu for the week - she is there on Tues / Thursdays. For the most part it is OK, but I have been surprised they serve sausage and salami slices on occasion. I do also bring in organic milk for her, but they don't allow any other outside food there due to allergy concerns for other kids. 

One of the professors in my school program is doing a research study right now on how to improve nutrition quality in the daycare setting. Here's a link to her survey on Minnesota daycares. Since you have a nutrition background, I think you'll find this really interesting! I have a lot more reading material on this topic from school (studying public health) if you are interested...but didn't want to bombard you :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @roo1582 They do provide breakfast for the parents.  It is usually some version or a muffin (blueberry, banana) or a crossant with ham/sausage and egg.  It is decent and really convenient if you are in a hurry.

• Options
    @heatherbee710 I wish tuition was lower if I provided food.  I would rather provide it all so I know what he's eating and saving would be awesome.

@kdoy705 I would love to read it.  Thank you!
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    @zpanjwani I want to go there for lunch!
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
     Unfortunately in Alabama the DHR minimum standards only say that the child has to be offered a fruit, veggie OR juice at each meal. Completely unhealthy in my opinion. Juice is not the same as fresh fruit and veggies. Also, PP was correct in saying that pizza sauce and fries count as veggies by the state licensing board. Not acceptable IMO, but that's how it is. 
    No wonder we're one of the fattest states in the Union.  
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for reassuring me, y'all.  I spoke to my husband about it last night.  He's actually never seen the menu or known that I had an issue with it.  Once I showed it to him, he said, "Forget that we pay extra.  He's not eating crap!"  We decided to pack everything for him and take turns doing it.  We'll see how long that lasts since he's not quite the helper outer at home for long.  Ha
     CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"