August 2012 Moms
Options

Mouth injury.

So Howell fell while carrying my camelback water bottle and the gums between his front two teeth are bleeding. The teeth aren't loose or chipped, he cried maybe fifteen seconds and the bleeding has stopped. I called the pedi and am waiting on a call back but is there anything else I should look for? Mouth wounds always look so much worse than they are and it doesn't help I am wearing a pale colored shirt.
Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

Re: Mouth injury.

• Options
    I don't know what to look for, but we have had at least 3 mouth injuries in the last couple of months as she's started to run instead of walk. I just figure as long as there are no loose or chipped teeth, and the bleeding stops, we're good. I do give her a very cold, wet washcloth to chew/suck on to help with swelling and pain relief.
  • Options
    B face planted on the corner of a dining room chair last week and cut her lip and bruised her cheek. It bled profusely and was scary so I'm very empathetic. Poor H.

We didn't call her pedi though. We tried a bit of pressure to stop the bleeding and then gave her a washcloth with ice and some Motrin. I tried to look to make sure her teeth were ok (they were) but that was near impossible at the time; however soon she was semi smiling with her fat lip and jumping around and it started bleeding again. More washcloths.

My findings on the topic were to limit inspecting the injury so it doesn't bleed again. Use ice or frozen cloth to soothe. Apply pressure if they let you. Take them in if they fall with a pointy object in the mouth (i.e. straw) so a doc can check for punctures. And call the dentist if teeth are damaged.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

B face planted on the corner of a dining room chair last week and cut her lip and bruised her cheek. It bled profusely and was scary so I'm very empathetic. Poor H.

We didn't call her pedi though. We tried a bit of pressure to stop the bleeding and then gave her a washcloth with ice and some Motrin. I tried to look to make sure her teeth were ok (they were) but that was near impossible at the time; however soon she was semi smiling with her fat lip and jumping around and it started bleeding again. More washcloths.

My findings on the topic were to limit inspecting the injury so it doesn't bleed again. Use ice or frozen cloth to soothe. Apply pressure if they let you. Take them in if they fall with a pointy object in the mouth (i.e. straw) so a doc can check for punctures. And call the dentist if teeth are damaged.

Thanks ladies. He did fall with a straw but it's rubber. It's like a giant straw cup for a grown up. The dumb pedi hasn't gotten back but what you said about checking/bleeding makes sense because it bleeds every time I try to look at it.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• Options
    DS feel yesterday in the bathroom face first into the tub.  He was bleeding from his mouth - which looked terrible.  He ended up chipping his front tooth.  We called the dentist (who we had already seen before) and he said not to worry.  No need to take him to the er or anything.  I'm going Wednesday morning for a follow up just to make sure everything is ok.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Poor guy! It sounds like you're doing the right things. Hopefully you'll get a call back soon.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Options
    if you don't mind the sugar (or think it's a worthwhile exception), an ice pop is good in these situations. It's hard to get a kid to keep ice on his face/in his mouth.
  • Options
    He is most likely Okay. The mouth bleeds a lot, but it is very vascular, which means that it heals very quickly. If he isn't bothered, I would just leave it alone and dab with a towel to clean the blood when necessary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"