"Oh, like Grey's Anatomy?"

While introducing DD to a longtime friend yesterday:

Me: "This is Meredith."
Friend: "Adorable! What is her middle name?"
Me: "Christine."
Friend: "Oh! Just like Grey's Anatomy!"
Me: "What? No. Wait. Shit, you're right." ::sad face::

How did I not see this coming? We've also gotten, "How is little MC Hammer?"

Any other unintended NNs, mispronunciations, or name fails?

Re: "Oh, like Grey's Anatomy?"

• Options
    linzland said:

Every time someone asks what DD's name is and I say Aubrey, they say "Oh Audrey, what a cute name!" So many people have told me they've never heard the name Aubrey before...really?! I know it's not super common, but c'mon.

That would drive me crazy. Aubrey is a beautiful name, btw!
  • Options
    Alex has gotten Alec, Al, AJ, Alligator and Kal (everyone in my familys name starts with K).
    Whats so hard about Alex?!?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I didn't think that people wouldn't get that Vinny was a NN for Vincent. One of my friends was like "Vinny? Why are you calling him that?" Ok...

Bonus: 

• Options
  • Options

Erin, Leah was on our list as well because I adore bible names. I would be annoyed by others as well. Again, THOUSANDS of years old. You can't really screw it up all that much.

My grandmother though is funny. I named Elizabeth after her mother. My great grandmother. Her name was Josephine Eliza. Well I named my daughter Elizabeth Josephine and we call her Eliza. My grandmother asked me why we call her Eliza and where did it come from. It's seriously the first five letters of her name. What's not to get?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    My older dd is Katie and now LO is Allison, but going by Allie.....anyone remember the show Kate and Allie?  Lol, we didn't realize until after we had named her....not that we would have changed it, but we do get reminded of it.....

Karen - 36      DH - 39

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Our son's name is Amadeo--- we call him Deo for short- in effect, we have nicknamed our son with the dative form of the Latin word Deus, God.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    linzland said:
    Every time someone asks what DD's name is and I say Aubrey, they say "Oh Audrey, what a cute name!"  So many people have told me they've never heard the name Aubrey before...really?!  I know it's not super common, but c'mon.  
    @linzland My BFF's name is Aubrey and people do that to her all the time too.  It is really annoying!  It shouldn't be that hard to read/ say a name correctly!  Aubrey is a great name, come on people!

Mine is that DD's full name is often mispronounced.  I knew this might be an issue.  We named her Lillianna because we wanted to use both the names Lillie and Anna, which are family names.  A lot of people pronounce it like Lilli-ON-uh but we pronounce it Lilli-ann-uh.  I thought using the two N's would make it more clear.  In my mind the name Anna is pronounced ANN-uh and the name Ana is pronounced ON-uh.  Luckily we just call her Lillie so that makes it a little simpler.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Big brother James 6-19-11  ****  Little sister Lillianna 6-26-13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My fav name mishap is with my dd1 is Charlotte and ds Arlo. We would go to a baby and me class (arlo was just under a year) and Charlotte did a tumble class at a gym. One of the moms in the baby class said she loved our kids names and how creative it was that Arlos name is from his older sisters. Huh? We did what? I had no idea but ch-ARLO-tte. Seriously. I just looked at the lady and said, "oh yeah, cute huh?!?"
    Then with the twins I tried so hard to find something similar- but really, I'm just not that smart.
    We had no idea
  • Options
    dinomama13dinomama13 member
    edited September 2013
    I've had the "le-ya" or "lee-ya" battle my entire life. I honestly don't care anymore but it's pronounced "le-ya". Jaes name is Japheth pronounced "jaypeth" & NO ONE can say it right. EVER. They say Jah-fith, Jah-pet, Jah-peth. It's irritating. I usually have to say "Just call him Jae". My aunt tried calling him JJ, didn't fly with me. DHs dad called him Gepetto, almost threw a fit. So we either call him Jae or Dastan which is one of his middle names :)

image image

BFP: 12/01/2012      EDD: 07/26/2013    Birthday: 07/25/2013 

• Options
  • Options
    @maryannespier how do you pronounce Giles? C:

image image

BFP: 12/01/2012      EDD: 07/26/2013    Birthday: 07/25/2013 

• Options
    My mother calls DD Abby....short for Abigail.  DD name is Morgan.  I told my mother that is what Morgan's sisters name will be (if she has one) and my mother was "NO, that is DD name".  Last  I checked I get to name my kids. 
  • Options
    Meimsx said:

I only get "how do you spell it?" they don't know if it's Issac or Isaac. There is no reason to spell it Issac. Why? The name is literally THOUSANDS of years old.

We get that all the time @Meimsx! I don't know why everyone spells it with two s!

• Options

My mother calls DD Abby....short for Abigail.  DD name is Morgan.  I told my mother that is what Morgan's sisters name will be (if she has one) and my mother was "NO, that is DD name".  Last  I checked I get to name my kids. 

So your kids name is Morgan but your mom calls her Abby?
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options

Um, say what now? Your mother seriously refuses to call your daughter by her name? That's straight up crazy cakes.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    babykkbabykk member
    edited September 2013
    Cfreymc said:

So your kids name is Morgan but your mom calls her Abby?
    I really want to understand what you are saying, but I just can't :-?

Eta: way too many emoticons!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We get Ava instead of Eva often.
  • Options
    I've heard Lilla, Layla, Leela... Is Lilah that hard and I wasn't aware of it? No issues with Morgan yet, you never know, though, most people are morons.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    Fayga said:

I usually always have to correct people on DD name.  They think her name is Keigan...  Nope...  I *try* and put a emphasis on the T in Teagan and I usually still have to end up spelling her name out.

DD1's name is Teagan and I have that problem too! Also, people pronounce it "Tay-gun" and assume she is a boy (unless they see her, obiously). Drives me nuts.
    Two under two, here we come!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage image
  • Options
    DD's name is Arianna but my coworker keeps calling her Adrianna.. Ugh.. I correct her but she always gets it wrong.
  • Options
    Our last name is Koon and everyone spells it coon. Like raccoon? Seriously?
  • Options
    I'm so shaking my head at some of these. We named our son Grayson and we are always having to repeat his name because people for some reason can't get it the first time. His twin sister we named Rebecca and I'm always getting asked with two c's or two k's...I honestly never seen the name Rebecca spelled rebekka.
  • Options
  • Options
    DD is Riley and people assume she's a boy. But that's kind of our fault! :)

The Abby/Morgan situation is crazy cakes.
  • Options
    Who knew Max was always short for something? People are baffled that his name is Max.

Person- What's his name?
    Me- Max?
    P- Oh like Maxwell/Maximus/Maximillion/Maximo/Maximilianus?
    Me- No just Max
    P- Just Max?
    Me- Yes
    P- Hmm, that's different.

DH's Grandpa even called us a week or so ago because he had "Actually met another person JUST named Max!!"
  • Options

Stina2012 said:

DD is Riley and people assume she's a boy. But that's kind of our fault! :)

The Abby/Morgan situation is crazy cakes.

I promise Riley won't be scarred by this. 

-Devon (also assumed to be a male by 95% of people who haven't seen me yet)

In a twisted way it may help her. I love the name Devon!
  • Options

Who knew Max was always short for something? People are baffled that his name is Max.

Person- What's his name?
    Me- Max?
    P- Oh like Maxwell/Maximus/Maximillion/Maximo/Maximilianus?
    Me- No just Max
    P- Just Max?
    Me- Yes
    P- Hmm, that's different.

DH's Grandpa even called us a week or so ago because he had "Actually met another person JUST named Max!!"

We get it now with "just Luke" and I'm sure it will be even worse if we have another boy because we will be naming him just Alex. I feel your pain.

• Options

Bmore721 said:

While introducing DD to a longtime friend yesterday:

Me: "This is Meredith."
    Friend: "Adorable! What is her middle name?"
    Me: "Christine."
    Friend: "Oh! Just like Grey's Anatomy!"
    Me: "What? No. Wait. Shit, you're right." ::sad face::

How did I not see this coming? We've also gotten, "How is little MC Hammer?"

Any other unintended NNs, mispronunciations, or name fails?

(This isn't intended to be snarky, sorry if it comes off that way...) But I'm pretty sure Christine is different from Cristina (as in Cristina Yang from Grey's Anatomy), so I think you're fine :) No name fail.

@Silv3rlining You are absolutely correct, but apparently Christine is close enough to Cristina that we hear this comment a lot.

@mermomo5 Are there any nicknames for Meredith that you didn't mind being called (now and while growing up)? I was not planning to use one with DD, but family has been complaining that 3 syllables is too long. (major eyeroll) And DH has a cousin named Mary, so it makes me irrationally stabby when they call DD Mary. I want to be able to suggest an alternative that won't make me want to launch certain family members out the window. So, any suggestions? Or should I hold my ground and not use a NN?
  • Options
    My name is Alexa and people ALWAYS think I say Melissa. Wtf?? Melissa?!?!? Especially over the phone.
    And LO is Calista and we get all sorts of responses-- Calissa, Alissa, Melissa (again) Larissa. It's not that hard people!

• Options

I thought Dashiell was becoming more popular and common--I've heard of three other Dashiells born in this year alone. Boy was I wrong.

I guess I'm more of a book nerd than I realized.

We had to actually post on FB where we got it (Dashiell Hammett) and how to pronounce it (dash-el).

I still like it. I'm glad he has a literary name and Dash will be a cool nickname.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    My mother is crazy cakes. She thinks that Morgan is too harsh of a name for a little girl and Abby is so much more girlie. My little girl is a chatterbox and my mom interpreted her babbles as her saying 'Abby' and my mom was like right that is your name. I guess it does not help that my father calls me by my sister's name. My family just can't get names right.....ugh!
  • Options

My mother is crazy cakes. She thinks that Morgan is too harsh of a name for a little girl and Abby is so much more girlie. My little girl is a chatterbox and my mom interpreted her babbles as her saying 'Abby' and my mom was like right that is your name. I guess it does not help that my father calls me by my sister's name. My family just can't get names right.....ugh!

Makes more sense now ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"