December 2012 Moms
Options

Dr sending mixed signals! Confused and mini vent

I know we've had the food and feeding discussion  a lot here..But I was caught off  guard at the dr appointment visit this time.  We had our 9mth well visit and  shes growing  great! 19.8lb 29.75in.  Anyway... My doctor told me I'm nursing to much.  she nurses at 3am, 6 or 8 am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, 9/930pm (Sometimes a "snack" in between 5 and 9).. She said that I should only be nursing 2-3x a day, everything else should be food. (Purees OR Table.  I told her we didnt do purees and she said thats fine, they are made for convenience) But then,  they gave me a sheet of things we went over (pretyped for all the parents) and it said i should nurse a MINIMUM of 3x a day.  Sooo.. I was confused. i asked her about it and she kind of gave me a round about answer about weaning and by 1 they should be on all solids. ya da da da da.

So then, I asked her about this bottle strike we're having and said that even with a sippy, shell drink water but as soon as its BM or Formula she wants nothing to do with it.  She said put a little cows milk in there....  Anybody else giving their baby cows milk yet? 

I kinda already decided that I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing-- Ill offer more solids, because I know I haven't been offering as often as I should, but If she's growing fine  then whats the rush?  She also said I should start weaning her, but then the sheet she gave me said weaning is at discretion of mom and baby.. 
OH!  and then she misread Fayes shot records and told me i didn't need shots for her.. 15 minutes after we got home she called and said she did.  (We had switched Drs and apparently they gave shots in different combinations so it looked like we were up to date when we weren't) Which yea, it sucked, but i  can walk up there and i had prepared myself for shots anyway.

and PS.  I put faye in her crib for nap.  She fell asleep and  as soon as i got to the bedroom she woke up, but i put her down anyway...  and shes talking to me and looking at me... like "come get me mama!!"
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dr sending mixed signals! Confused and mini vent

• Options
    I would continue doing what you are doing. I am not a dr, but I don't agree with a lot of the things she told you to do. 

WHO recommends BF''ing until they are 2. The AAP recommends that cows milk not be introduced until at least a year old. Here is some info from Kellymom.com on cows milk: https://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milk-supplements/I wouldn't start weaning until at least a year. 

For myself and DD2, I work so I have to pump and around the year mark, I will be cutting back on my pumping sessions. I have a large freezer stash as well. I plan to then continue nursing as often as she likes when I am home, evenings and weekends. Hoping to make it to the 2 year mark.  During the day while I am gone we will skip cows milk and offer Almond milk.

HTH!
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    My pedi said the opposite. He said I should be nursing on demand still, to offer breast before food, if I pump to make sure she gets 25-30oz a day, that food is just for practice and not to deliberately replace bm with solids until 12m. He said if she started to on her own in a month or two to follow her lead.

Since she gave a roundabout answer, I think it was her personal opinion. 9 months and cows milk is a huge nono. I feel like I should send you my handout, lol.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thanks. that's the impression i was under as well from what our previous dr said. i guess i just needed reassurance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think 6 mo to 1 year is kind of a grey area. Would go with your plan of upping solids a little but continuing to BF whenever able to, but postpone the cow milk till 1 year. My LO is on a similar strike. Gets oatmeal mixed with BM at day care a result.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We just went to the pedi today for dd's 9 month checkup. When I told him we were nursing about 7 times a day he told me that was kind of a lot but was not concerned. He said it was up to us and we could start offering bm with meals or letting her nurse after. He told us though that we should not do any cow's milk until after a year because their gut is too immature and it can cause it to bleed if done too early. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    There's a reason I don't listen to my pedi. Pediatricians are for medical advice. I don't think choices like weaning, car seats, ect are for pediatricians to enforce, just recommend. I can ignore a recommendation. There's also a huge divide in pediatricians out there. Most are stuck using old information, some are using new information. So things like solids are so widely diverse, when so many places say one thing. For instance my pedi gave me a lecture about BLW. He wanted me to do cereals and purees. I ignored his opinion. I saw a different pedi this last week and she never batted an eye at BLW (and actually knew what it was). So it's one of those things. It sounds like yours is pretty old school. Which sucks. We're in the battle trying to switch from our old school pedi to one that jives more with our parenting style.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"