Adoption
Options

Awkward?

So tomorrow husband and I are driving two hours to meet a friend of a woman we're donating breast milk to (meant for our adopted child, but still haven't been matched, so would rather donate than throw away. ugh!) It's going to be really difficult to let go of. Would it be awkward to give her a bunch of our pass along cards and ask her the share our blog? The woman getting the milk just had her healthy baby girl and I don't know if me talking about adoption would just be weird. I'm not asking for payment for the milk of course, so her helping sharing our hopes to adopt would be a nice "thank you". Is it inappropriate though? I just want everyone to know we want to adopt so they can help us connect with our EM!

Re: Awkward?

• Options
    Grrrrr! My signature still isn't showing up!
  • Options
    I think it's likely fine.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm assuming she knows your story. I don't think bringing up your adoption journey would be weird, and asking her to pass cards to people she knows wouldn't be that weird IMO.
  • Options
    Eh I don't know. I think it's reasonable to give her some cards if the opportunity presents itself. But as a recipient of donor milk myself, I always felt incredibly uncomfortable when the donation came with strings attached. Obviously I was super grateful and provided storage bags if appropriate, did the pickups myself to make it more convenient for them etc. For the women that were regular donors I gave them a gift card to our local fancy grocery store and sent a thank you card. But there were a few women that wanted things from me that felt super uncomfortable.

So I think it's fine to ask that she think of you if she comes across a situation, but I probably would not ask her to actively do outreach for you. If you do give her cards and she WANTS to do outreach that's fine and she will do it on her own.

Also, milk is good for 6 mo in a deep freeze (ie chest freezer) so if I were you and I was building a stash I would only dontae that milk that is close to expiring.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"