Homeschooling
Options

Kindergarten math.

We were given the A beka k4 program. But I am missing a ton of stuff in the math section. Like it is not even doable. I am seriously struggling on where to even start with it on my own. Math is not my strong subject and I am not really even sure what she should be learning with it. 
Does anyone know of curriculum that is free/online based (as in printables) that I can use?

DD1 | Jan 2009
DD2 | June 2011
DS1 | Oct 2013
   ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
DS2 | June 2016
DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Kindergarten math.

• Options
    wifeofadamwifeofadam member
    edited September 2013
    I don't know of a free curriculum, but you could easily pull your own together following the outlines of the other curricula out there. 

Last year I started K math with DS1 without any formal curriculum.  We had lessons on the following:

-counting to 100 by 1s (all you need is a 100 chart and you're good to go)
    -counting by 2s, 5s, 10s, etc.
    -the difference between odd and even numbers
    -more and less
    -patterning
    -basic addition (start with 1+1, 2+2, 3+3; then do 2+1, 3+1, 4+1; then do all numbers under ten, etc.)
    -story problems (very basic - Johnny has four coins.  His dad gave him two more.  How many coins does Johnny have now?)
    -basic subtraction

You could do all of that without a curriculum if you're trying to save money.  Search Pinterest for free worksheets on each of those topics.  Some useful manipulatives or tools to help you teach would be an abacus (DS taught himself to add in no time at all using one) and some Cuisenaire rods.  Having a large 100 chart is great too.

I'm actually the opposite.  I enjoy teaching math, but phonics bores me to death and I have a hard time teaching.  The rules aren't as clear with language.  Just yesterday DS1 and I were learning about the ge,gy,gi sounds and how they make a j sound.  Then he came across the word "girl" and got all confused, asking me why it doesn't make a j sound too.  All I could do is shrug my shoulders and say the English language doesn't make sense sometimes.  I hate not having the clear rules like there are in math!

• Options
    Thanks! I am looking into the Math-u-see Primer. 

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Check out the core curriculum also to check that you are doing it all.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    AA0417 said:
    For manipulatives to use for counting, patterns, addition/subtraction, you can use pennies, blocks, cut-up pieces of paper, or whatever else you have around the house. A great way to start out with teaching inequalities (more than and less than) as written expressions, is to make two piles of manipulative to compare. Print off a picture of a gator or croc with mouth open, saying gator/croc is very hungry and wants to eat from the pile that has more, and have LO place the picture facing the bigger pile. Eventually work up to using the written numbers instead of manipulatives. Then add a greater/less than sign over the gator/croc's mouth so they see the similarity. After a while, remove the gator/croc.
    Great idea!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• Options
    runnergirl79runnergirl79 member
    edited September 2013
    I just saw you are looking at Math-U-See Primer.  My 6 year old is currently about through the first 19 lessons, and I highly recommend this program.  I ordered Alpha for her to start once she's completed Primer, and was looking through the teacher's manual....I think they explain things very well.  I plan on continuing with MUS with all my kiddos, and possibly supplement with Mathematical Reasoning from the Critical Thinking Co.
    Natalie 7.27.07/Lukas 5.29.09/Noah 3.4.11/Brooke 7.31.12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"