Working Moms
Options

Teachers...

I am new to the field. In previous jobs, I have had FMLA, and the coverage doesn't take effect until after 1 yr of employment. Just wondering if it is the same everywhere, specifically in schools? I know this is not the ideal situation, but it may turn out that I am pg during my first yr of teaching, so just wondering. Would love to hear from other teachers how their maternity leave worked out and if generally, admin. is understanding...

Re: Teachers...

• Options

I'm a former teacher and had DD while teaching in an independent school. I haven't heard of any schools, public or private, where the 1 yr of employment policy for FMLA wasn't in effect. But someone out there correct me if they've been able to avoid this.

I had sick/personal days saved up, but we got pg before we were expecting to, so I was always thinking we'd have a summer baby- not one in Feb! I had a few weeks paid, but couldn't return for the end of the year because it would've been more expensive to have to pay for childcare. It was a rough rest of the year- my paycheck went down to $69 bi-monthly. 

My administration was very supportive, but my advice is to plan ahead for any expenses you might have if you are having a baby during the school year. It's not possible for everyone to plan a summer baby, but the reality is that teachers don't have paid maternity leave (like many other working women) so you want to be ready to deal with the money factor. I don't mean to be a downer right now- in the end, money is tight for a little while and then things get better :) GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I worked in a private school and my principal said I could take the year off and they'd hold a position for me the following year.  But of course that's unpaid.  DD was born in Sept.  I set up my classroom, taught for 2 weeks, and then had her.  I worked the day I went into labor.  I used my sick/personal days and went back after 6 weeks.  It was tough but workable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"