Natural Birth
Options

How late to find doula is too late?

I had thought about having a doula for DS1, but opted not to ($ at time). While I was induced (low amnio fluids), I did labor without an epi and had a vag birth. There was a slight episiotomy. (level 1, although she said it shouldn't even have been called that).

So, I have confidence in birthing again, but want to have a doula to (1) be an advocate for me at the hospital, (2) to have someone on hand in case DH is traveling with his job, and (3) hey, wouldn't hurt to have someone massage my back, etc. (#1 is the biggie for me. My doctor said she was o.k. with my squatting, i.e., but after 13 hours of labor when "negative nurse Nancy" couldn't figure out how to get the birthing bar down, I didn't persist.)

I haven't made it a priority yet among my many other to-do's (and DS1 occasionally skipping naps) to seek one out. DS just started mom's day out today, so I envision more time, and would like to call with my list of questions next week. I just started 3rd tri. Is this too late?? I don't envision needing any classes or anything, just the meet and greet prior to get a good feel for the doula.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How late to find doula is too late?

• Options
    It's just a matter of finding someone with a gap at your due date. I'd start calling around as soon as you have a minute. The initial meet-n-greet is typically free, and then once you sign a contract you can lay out what you want for prenatal meetings, and post-birth support.

For #2, I said I didn't need prenatal meetings and she moved my time to post-birth - I've only had one visit so far. She cooked us supper and washed the dishes. Much more useful to me than birth education (I'm plenty educated from round one).
  • Options
    It is never to late to find a doula.  Since you are in your third tri you will have to find one that is available around your due date.  This may limit your selection but hopefully you will find one that is open.  In addition to the meet and great we had a prenatal meeting at 37 weeks.  We liked this meeting as it allowed us to talk about what specifically we wanted from our doula.  It also let her know what our concerns may be during L&D.  We went over my birth plan and talked about how to approach situations we may encounter.  As a FTM I found the prenatal meeting to be really helpful but it may be something you don't need.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've taken clients who were past their due date. Like the others said, it was just a matter of having time in my schedule and hitting it off with the mom. 

• Options
    I'm a FTM - we just found our doula 2 weeks ago, at 36 weeks.  We had 2 prenatal visits with her to get to know each other.  

Like others said, it's mostly a matter of finding someone with availability - we lucked out because there are so many doulas in our area. Good luck!
  • Options
    I found one at 37 weeks. I had tried to get a more experienced doula back at about 28 weeks and every one I contacted was booked already. 

Then, at 36 weeks I tried experienced doulas again...all booked. At 37 weeks, I tried again. I switched to looking at less experienced doulas and I found one right away. I think any basic trained/certified doula can do the things you really need from them. 

Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didnt start my doula search until 34 weeks. I think we'll be making our final decision tomorrow at 35w6d, so it's not too late! 3 were recommended to us by the place we did our birth class and of the 3, one was already booked. When talking with one she said it happens a lot that women decide closer to the end that they want a doula.
    One DD born 9/23/13.
    We're one and done!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"