Pennsylvania Babies
Options

Starting whole milk

Eli is 11 months and a week. ?I am going to start to wean him soon from breast feeding. Do yu think its okay to start some whole milk now even though he is not quite a year? ?He does well with the yobaby yogurt and whole milk cottage cheese. ?also how did you wean?

Re: Starting whole milk

• Options

I started weaning Cameron around 11 months as well..we were already down to two feedings a day, morning and night, so I started by having my DH give him a bottle (some may disagree) at night so he would get used to me not nursing him before bed, that worked out REALLY well, he did this for about 2 weeks and then the bottle ended and then the morning one was a little harder so it took longer than I thought, but I started off by feeding him his breakfast before I would nurse him, and one day he sort of just popped off of my lap and that was it, I was TOTALLY not prepared for that, but it was good because I did not have that sadness thinking this is the last feeding.  I was also 8 weeks pregnant so didn't really bother me all that much :)

As for giving him milk before he is one, my own personal opinion is not to only because my pedi says it can cause early allergies and I was allergic to dairy as a child, so I waited and just gave him sippy cups of formula or  EBM for  a few weeks before his b-day. He too was eating yo-baby, but figured I'd better wait.

Good Luck!  

• Options
    I had stopped nursing at around 7 1/2 months and around 11 months we started mixing formula with whole milk ( yes some say no no to that but that is how we weaned her) and by her 1st birthday she was on all milk.  She still gets a bottle at night, but is starting to show signs of not needing that.  I am letting her lead that and when she no longer wants the night bottle of whole milk.  I would say it is fine to start introducing whole milk, even if it is just at a meal...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do have some frozen breast milk that I can use up. ?I hate pumping now because I really only get like 4 ounces out anyway because hes not really feeding long at all anymore. ?He usually wakes up around 7 and i feed him then lay him back down. ?Then he normally feeds again around 9-9:30 and then after he breastfeeds i do the yogurt with oatmeal and a fruit with cottage cheese. ?Do you think I could drop that 9 o'clock breast feeding? ?I'm so attached, I dont know how I'll do it! ?I'm ready to, but i'm sad because that means, I'm not longer giving him his nutrition.
  • Options
    Is he only feeding twice a day? That is a GREAT way to start weaning! I would absolutely start with dropping the 9AM feeding when you are ready.  The first morning feeding was the hardest for me...That was like our special bonding time. I do miss it, but you did great for doing it this long, you should be really proud of yourself.
  • Options
    He actually still feeds around 5-6 times breastfeeding. ?gets solids like 2-3 times a day. ?
  • Options
    I would start cutting out the middle of the day feedings.  You really at this point only need to give him 3 servings of dairy a day. Yo-baby being 1/2 of one. So my advice to you is to start off with only doing a morning, afternoon and evening feeding.  That is what I did, and it worked out for Cameron really really well.  If you do this over the next few weeks, weaning completely will be a breeze. Good Luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"