Third-Party Reproduction

steps to gestational surrogate?

How does it even work? I only have one ovary left. Are there risks to getting eggs from this ovary?

Re: steps to gestational surrogate?

• I haven't yet made it to the medical aspect of this whole thing so I cannot answer this as an informed person, but this sounds like a good question for your doctor. If you are considering using a surrogate, you should find a doctor/fertility clinic if you don't have one already. Then you should schedule a consultation appointment to go over your options, risks, etc with that doctor. I'm sure there are some risks, but you might also be looking at other things associated with only one ovary - not as good response for egg retrieval, etc. That's how we started on this whole process. 

TTC since April 2010
    BFP #1 – March 2011, missed m/c April 2011
    BFP #2 – October 2011, m/c November 2011
    Surprise BFP #3 – December 2011, diagnosed as cornual, terminated January 2012
    BFP #4 – June 2012, m/c July 2012
    Diagnosed with bicornuate ute and MTHR gene mutation
    BFP #5 – October 2012, missed m/c November 2012
    BFP #6 – January 2013, m/c March 2013
    No longer TTC. Diagnosis: Hostile ute. Heartbroken and bitter. Pursuing surrogacy.
    June 2013 - Carrier found! Could this really happen?!
    ~All AL always welcome~

• Hi. We've just started down this road, but I can tell you how it's worked for us so far:

First we found out about our IF issues and started looking at our Tx options. GC is pretty much the only way we can get PG, so once we decided that adoption wasnt for us at this point that was a short discussion. Then we found an attorney who specializes in reproductive issues. We met with her, and she outlined the legal issues/process and also referred us to a different RE/clinic that specializes in couples using surrogacy. At this point we've done our initial intake with them and have a treatment schedule outlined (we're trying to treat DH's MFI so that we won't have to use DS for IVF).

As you can see the process really varies based on the couple...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"