July 2012 Moms
Options

Food Q

I feel a little lost.  Those of you doing WCM and solids, can you give me a rough outline of what a day's meals and snacks look like?  As in, how much of each thing your LO eats?  My know-it-all book has numbers that seem astronomical.  And it says I should absolutely NOT, under any circumstances, be giving her milk during the night, ESPECIALLY in a bottle.  Um...woops?

My problem is that I don't know if Emily is getting enough. She seems to just want to graze all day, and I'm not sure she's getting the calories and nutrients she needs.  When I put her in her high chair for a meal, she will eat a few bites, but then she's done, even if it's food she loves.  An hour later she's asking for a snack (usually we'll do fruit, crackers, puffs, or something simple for snack).  She has a little bit of whatever we do for snack, but then she's done with that too.  It's like that all day.  Very rarely, like once or twice a month, she'll eat like a truck driver and I wonder if she's always that hungry or just going through a growth spurt.  Because I worry about her intake, I am nervous about night weaning.

I know for adults they say that grazing is good, as opposed to stuffing it all into a few meals, but is it the same for kids?  How do you keep track of whether they are getting enough if they eat that way?  She's got her one year check up tomorrow, so definitely going to ask for guidance, but thought it would be good to get the input of real moms.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Food Q

• Options
    MissMusic said:
    I'm interested to see what people say, because we are having trouble introducing WCM and my kid is becoming a grazer because she's not nursing/drinking as much.
    I'm sorry you're in this pickle too, but glad we're not alone.  Em drinks the WCM okay, but she's down to maybe two full sippies of it a day.  Of course, she also gets a bottle overnight, so that's about 5 to 6 more ounces.  I think I heard or read that WCM doesn't have as many of the nutrients they need as formula does though, so I'm wondering if she's getting enough food.
    Gah!  Why do babies have to be so freaking complicated???  It's like advanced mathematical formulas or something.  "If baby only eats 1/8 of X, but drinks 2/3 of Y, then you are still F'd from A to Z."

• Options
    nesenotesnesenotes member
    edited August 2013
    Ok here is how our day runs:

7AM wake up and I give her a sippy with 8oz of Milk + multi vitamin drop and a handful of cheerios to munch on while I drink coffee.
    8:30- Breakfast. Normally Oatmeal or 1 egg and some fruit
    9:30 ish nap (sometimes no nap if she is being an asshole)
    12:00 Lunch. 1 slice of whole wheat bread with Almond butter spread over half and I fold it to make a sandwich + applesauce or fruit. Or 1 string cheese stick + Low sodium turkey+ Fruit.
    1 nap
    3:00-ish Snack. Yogurt
    5/5:30 Dinner. Either leftovers of whatever we had the day before for dinner or some organic spaghetti o's or my go to of a palm size chicken breast cut up and about 1/4 cup of frozen veggies.
    7pm bath, PJ's, and I give her 8oz of milk in a sippy while I read her book. Then we brush teeth and she goes to bed.

I cant for the life of me fit in more veggies. So I give her a multi every day to make up for it.

ETA: she chugs water all day long. She goes through at least 3 10oz sippies full. Her dad is a camel also.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jesus my kid eats a lot.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • Options
    Em doesn't like veggies either @nesenotes.  I hadn't looked into the vitamin drops.  Maybe I'll do that.  From what everyone has said, it doesn't seem like we're too far off the norm, so adding in the multi might give me the peace of mind to stop trying to push food on her!

• Options
    wcm replaced her formula so it wasnt a big deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"