Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Need tips for transition to big boy bed

I'm 11 weeks along with my second pregnancy and have a 15 month old son. DH and I have decided to leave the nursery as is for the new baby and move DS into his new big boy room. We are trying to make due with the furniture we have now, so DS will have a full size low platform bed. Ideally I'd like to move him over at least two months before my due date (Feb. 14) so that he's got time to get used to his new surroundings before the baby comes. Obviously, we will need to buy the mesh rails, but I am still worried about his wild sleeping. He's all over his crib! I will continue to use the monitor so that I can keep an eye on him in his new bed. Can anyone that has made the transition already give me some pointers? What did and did not work for you? FX that this goes smoothly...it's a very nervewracking step as a FTM!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need tips for transition to big boy bed

• We had to put our son in a big boy bed at only 12 months because he started climbing out of the crib and we didn't want him falling and hurting himself.  Anyhow.  I think what helped the transition work so quickly is that we also gave him a tv for bedtime. We don't use rails or guards- our son isn't much of a mover while he's asleep though, so we just leave our door open for him if he wakes up he can come to our room.  He really likes the bed- even durin the day he will go in there just to jump on the bed or sit and "read" a book in his bed.  It's a really cool step!  I always try to change his blankets and room decor around every couple days or so, just to keep him interested in being in his room.
  • We just transitioned to a toddle bed but my DD is a bit older. It went really smoothly for us and she is sometimes a wild sleeper. We didn't make a huge fuss over the change of bed, we did let her play 'sleep' and praised her when she did after we set it up. We did how ever make a big deal out of letting her pick out her own bed spread.

I don't support that idea of putting a tv in their room because that can cause some bad habits in my opinion, and in my own experience of having a tv when I was younger and I still need to watch tv before I fall asleep.

I also think you should plan ahead for consistency. So make a game plan for if your LO does get out if bed. Will you put a gate up/ close the door and let him wander around his room letting him fall asleep where ever. ( My DH supported this) Or will you put him back in his bed with out saying a word every single time he gets up. ( this is what we decided to do but haven't needed to do it because I felt it would create better sleeping habits. It is a harder way to go though I think.).
    Those are just two methods that we thought of but I am sure there are others out there.

Good luck and congrats on the new baby on the way!
    You will never know how much you mean to me my little jelly Bean.
    Mommy loves you Eevee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    <a href="http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz270/cpali/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • We had to put our son in a big boy bed at only 12 months because he started climbing out of the crib and we didn't want him falling and hurting himself.  Anyhow.  I think what helped the transition work so quickly is that we also gave him a tv for bedtime. We don't use rails or guards- our son isn't much of a mover while he's asleep though, so we just leave our door open for him if he wakes up he can come to our room.  He really likes the bed- even durin the day he will go in there just to jump on the bed or sit and "read" a book in his bed.  It's a really cool step!  I always try to change his blankets and room decor around every couple days or so, just to keep him interested in being in his room.

Love the idea of making little changes to keep them excited about it. Never thought of that!

• My 18m old transitioned really well to a full size bed. I toddler proofed and bought the mesh rails... I got some body pillows from Target and made a barricade with them. He is a wild sleeper too and the pillows and the rails are both keeping him safe in his sleep. I toddler proofed the whole room and took all of his toys out so that he knows his room is for sleeping and not playing. Our routine is bath, pj's, snack, milk, and then we go up and read together before lights out. This routine has been successful for two weeks so far. We gated his doorway because of our staircase too. Stay consistent and Good Luck!
  • My 18m old transitioned really well to a full size bed. I toddler proofed and bought the mesh rails... I got some body pillows from Target and made a barricade with them. He is a wild sleeper too and the pillows and the rails are both keeping him safe in his sleep. I toddler proofed the whole room and took all of his toys out so that he knows his room is for sleeping and not playing. Our routine is bath, pj's, snack, milk, and then we go up and read together before lights out. This routine has been successful for two weeks so far. We gated his doorway because of our staircase too. Stay consistent and Good Luck!
    The body pillow is a great idea. I was trying to think of something to barricade the bottom portion of the bed, and I think that might do the trick! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"