January 2013 Moms
Options

Pulling on ears

DD has been pulling on her ears /flicking her ears like crazy these past few days. At first I thought it was just because she had discovered them because she didn't seem upset otherwise but now I'm wondering if its something else. She doesn't seem feverish but she has been sleeping poorly. She tends to yank on them the most when she nurses.

I think I remember someone posting that ear pulling can coincide with teething? Any experience with this? No teeth buds yet but she has a lil swelling at the gums. She goes to the doc tomorrow for her 6 month checkup so I'll check then but just wondering if anyone had any advice to offer!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Pulling on ears

• Options
    It could be teething but it could also be an ear infection, just make sure they look in her ears tomorrow. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Mine pulls on her ears especially when nursing.  It coincided with her teeth coming in. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO has been pulling on her ears a lot here recently. Im assuming it is from teething. I dont see any teeth popping through yet though. She is not running a fever so I guess it is not an ear infection? Hopefully not. She has had issues with ear infections all ready , but my ENT doc told me to look for her to be running a fever. Im not 100% sure that would be my only clue though.
  • Options
    My DD was playing with her ears off and on while her first tooth was coming in. I was afraid it could be a ear infection but she didn't have a fever or a problem laying down. Since her teeth have popped through she's stopped playing with them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Could be teething.

An ear infection would present with other symptoms.

DD plays with her ears when she's tired.  If I don't keep her nails short (they grow so fast!) she ends up scratching herself :(
  • Options
    Mine pulls at her ears while she's eating as well. She also does it when she's super tired. I agree about ear infection, there would be other symptoms.
  • Options

My DS currently has a double ear infection and is on antibiotics. Poor little guy :( He was not pulling or tugging on his ears at all. I was shocked when his pediatrician looked in his ears and said it was an ear infection. Besides a little runny nose he seemed totally normal. So it could def be teething, but it's good you have her 6 mo. appt and can have them peek at her ears.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm so glad to see others saying their babes are doing this too! My LO has been pulling, twisting, and bending her ears for several weeks now. Sometimes she does it when she nurses, or is sleepy, or just playing, so there's no pattern there. She hasn't been overly fussy or sleeping any differently, and no fever. So I assumed she must have "found" them and just be playing. My grandmother, who cares for LO twice a week is convinced that something is wrong and I'm ignoring it! Honestly if I thought my daughter was sick I'd certainly take her to the doctor! Ugh. Well I'm glad our 6 month checkup is Friday just so I can double check.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DD went through a phase from like 5.5-6 months old where she was constantly scratching the sides of her head and pulling her ears. It was so cute, she looked really frustrated but with no other symptoms it was just chalked up to discovery!  
  • Options
    dd does this when she's tired....esp while i'm feeding her and she's tired.....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DS does this when he is really tired -- he rubs and flicks his ears.  But, he's also been teething for a few weeks now (we think!), so that could have something to do with it.  Mostly though, it is because he is tired.

Psalm 139:14 -- "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made."
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Her pedi said it is most likely a tired cue. She said that though this is the time teeth normally appear that DD isn't showing signs of imminent teeth at the moment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"