March 2013 Moms
Options

When oh when?

Mostly a vent...

Every single night I try for 2-3 hours to get my LO to sleep on his own. I fee like the ONLY way to get him to sleep is if my boob is in his mouth. It's comfort nursing all night long. I'm so not comfortable with cosleeping and neither is my husband so after hours of trying I end up on the couch.

I've tried the lay him down drowsy and it's instant screamfest. If I can nurse to sleep then transfer he still wakes up as soon as I put him down and screams. There's nothing gradual about my son. Lol

At this point I don't feel like it's going to get better. He's fed and clean. I've let him cry but he just doesn't let up. I know it's not reflux because as soon as I pick him up he's fine. I just don't get it. I miss my bed and my husband. Thankfully he's a happy baby during the day but he and I BOTH need better sleep.

Again, just a vent.... Thanks for listening lol
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: When oh when?

• Options
    My little guy comfort nurses for naps, as soon as I try to get up he's awake. At night I've been trying to break our habit of nursing back to sleep every time he wakes up. I'm hoping time will help. He'll be 4 months on Saturday.
  • Options
    He's just at 4 months. A late marcher
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My daughter does the same thing! She's impossible to put down in her crib. Now we bed share, and everyone gets sleep (and no one gets upset.). Some might say this is the easy way out, but I wouldn't change a thing. GL!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    does your LO like to be rocked to sleep too?  i nurse to sleep and when i put him down if he wakes up i hold him and gently bounce up and down on one of those big Giam exercise balls. its amazing! i cant believe i didn't get one sooner. they only cost about $40.  i just do that for a few minutes and then he is out for the night.  

i have tried putting him down drowsy but awake and it doesn't work for us. he will wake up and start crying.  my husband can do the drowsy but awake with him and it goes fine but for some reason it doesn't work when i put him down.  good luck!  i can relate to what you are going through. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    My LO wakes up the instant I put her down as well. What I found works for us is giving her a pacifier as soon as I put her down. She seems to think she is still nursing and just falls right back to sleep. GL! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

First, you have to decide if you believe in sleep associations and the formation of habits that could affect sleep in the months to come. I personally did believe that associations and habits were being formed that could inhibit my LO from being a good sleeper. So I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I've been taking steps to remove sleep associations like the boob and the paci but keeping ones like white noise. I know some moms don't have any worries about sleep associations or habits, so my advice is just what I would do. I know not all would agree.

My advice is to tackle one sleep issue at a time. We started with putting down drowsy but awake. We waited to master that before dealing with MOTN stuff, which is our current project. It was tough and took a few nights. We did CIO. Again, flame away. So he would nurse in his quiet, dark bedroom with white noise, and if he fell asleep, I woke him up by giving him kisses or changing his diaper. I put him down in his sleep sack, he would cry, and we would sit through the torture. It took 3 nights. Now not a peep. He smiles at me before I leave the room and drifts off.

Even if you're anti-CIO, I thought Ferber's book had some insights into baby sleep habits and sleep associations that I found compelling. The pediatrician confirmed my thoughts/ plans at our 4 mo appt and we felt we had made an educated decision on how to conquer sleep (for LO and myself) which we are now undertaking.

It's not easy to hear your baby cry. It's heart wrenching. And the path of least resistance was my strategy up until a couple of weeks ago after his appt and we knew he was healthy and sleep training, while sucky, was the next step for us.

I definitely believe in sleep associations. I've read ferbers book and try cio for 30 minute maximums at a time each night. This baby is so persistent. I know many are anti cio but they don't realize that you're not just leaving them in a room to cry to sleep. In the long run you're helping them.

I think right now (at least I hope that's the case) he's just a little to young to self soothe. I do hope it gets better.

Thanks everyone for the their suggestions and sympathy. It gives me hope! Lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"