3rd Trimester

opinions- coffee in chocolate cake for toddler bday cake ok or no

I am baking the cake for my DD's 3rd bday party this weekend and freezing them until her party in July. I have some recipes for chocolate cake that I know are good and will freeze well, but they have brewed coffee in the batter, say, 1.5 cups. We don't have decaf around because of the way the caffeine is chemically leached from the beans (it freaks me out). Do you think 1.5 cups of coffee in a whole cake will turn my kid and everyone else's kid into nightmare children? TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: opinions- coffee in chocolate cake for toddler bday cake ok or no

• Um definitely asking for a nightmare. I wouldn't risk it. I'd be really pissed if my 4 year old daughter came to that party, ate the cake, then I found out you added coffee to it.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• skioskio member
    Yeah, I wouldn't put coffee in a cake for toddlers.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't worry too much about it. 1.5 cups in an entire cake is so minimal per serving.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Soleil3Soleil3 member

imageMommyKristin88:
    Um definitely asking for a nightmare. I wouldn't risk it. I'd be really pissed if my 4 year old daughter came to that party, ate the cake, then I found out you added coffee to it.

This. 

image image

• imagejane.says:
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. 1.5 cups in an entire cake is so minimal per serving.

Yep. Should be fine.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Also, you can find decaf that is decaffeinated by water process. It's slightly more expensive but it's out there. Not all decaf is done with chemicals.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• There are ways to decaffeinate coffee without the chemicals.   If you find a shop that is organic certified they probably have decaf coffee that has been decaffeinated this way (you can ask if the swiss water process was used) and you can get a tiny bit that may be enough if you are sold on this cake and don't want to make your kid and everyone else's kids crazy. Good Luck! :)

https://www.swisswater.com/consumer/swiss-water-process

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • nycnolanycnola member
    imagebendicott7:

There are ways to decaffeinate coffee without the chemicals.   If you find a shop that is organic certified they probably have decaf coffee that has been decaffeinated this way (you can ask if the swiss water process was used) and you can get a tiny bit that may be enough if you are sold on this cake and don't want to make your kid and everyone else's kids crazy. Good Luck! :)

https://www.swisswater.com/consumer/swiss-water-process

Hmm, you've expanded my horizons. I will go on the hunt this weekend. Thanks! 

• I wouldn't worry I have feed my toddler chocolate cake with coffe in it and she actually got calmer not hyper
  • imagejane.says:
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. 1.5 cups in an entire cake is so minimal per serving.

That's my thought, too.

Chocolate in and of itself is caffeinated, particularly dark chocolate, so any mom that's feeding her kid a piece of chocolate cake and is irked that they're bouncing off the walls isn't really thinking through that process much...  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • There are plenty of chocolate cake recipes that don't use coffee. Go to allrecipes.com and read the reviews to find a good one.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagems.mittens:
    There are plenty of chocolate cake recipes that don't use coffee. Go to allrecipes.com and read the reviews to find a good one.

This. There are lots of good recipes. As PP said chocolate already has caffeine in it, why add more? 

• Soleil3Soleil3 member
    Why does 1 1/2 cups not seem like a lot? Take out 1 1/2 cups of sugar from the recipe and see how it affects the cake...
    image image

• I wouldn't worry since a cake that has been in the freezer for 1 to 2 months probably won't be exactly gobbled down.
  • nycnolanycnola member

imageCarolineEmma:
    I wouldn't worry since a cake that has been in the freezer for 1 to 2 months probably won't be exactly gobbled down.

Nope, it will, which is why I am so attached to this coffee recipe. I've made it and frozen before. This chocolate cake is thebomb.com, seriously. Here is the link-

https://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/07/project-wedding-cake-the-cake-is-baked/ 

• imagejane.says:

Agree with this. It'd be equal to about a tablespoon of coffee per slice.

• I'm not sure that it would really effect the kids but I don't know if some parents would like their kids having caffeine.  
  • Ruger04Ruger04 member
    imageRedheadBaker:

imageSoleil3:
    Why does 1 1/2 cups not seem like a lot? Take out 1 1/2 cups of sugar from the recipe and see how it affects the cake...

That's approximately 150 mg of caffeine, though the amount in a home-brewed cup of coffee can vary widely, between 40 and 170mg.

Divide that 150 among the total number of servings of cake (the cake the OP linked to will serve approximately 24 people), and that's 6.25mg of caffeine per serving. That's about the same as an ounce of milk chocolate.

Whoa!  :)

ITS A GIRL!!! TTC 8/11 November Clomid 150mg+trigger+IUI+TI= BFP<br>
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' 
    Eleanor Roosevelt 
    image image 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"