2»

Re: If you were induced, POLL!

• Options
    Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child: 1st

Was it successful or did it end in CS: successful vaginal delivery

Total length of induction process: 14 hours

Did induction start at night or early morning: 4 in the morning

How far progressed were you prior to induction: 1cm. 70 effaced

Worst part of induction: the epidural caused my blood pressure to drop significantly and the anesthesiologist wouldn't let my DH back in the room until it increased to what he felt was safe. DH had to wait an hour for me in the hallway and both of us were freaking out.

And for a bright side, best part of induction: delivering my sweet girl.

Anything else you'd like to add: My uterus wouldn't contract to stop the bleeding after I gave birth and I almost ended up with an emergency hysterectomy. I lost a lot of blood so I was very dizzy and out of sorts for the first hour or two of my DD's life. My ob had to give me large doses of oxytocin to get it to contract. That was scary.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    First child.
    Successful... I suppose. No c-section.
    Total length: about 30 hours
    Cytotec started at 10pm, pitocin the following morning at 6 am.
    I was not dilated at all prior to starting.
    Worst part was the pain. I wanted to go med free but induction was necessary because of extremely low fluid. I still didn't want the epi, and I went without it for 15 hours on pit and did. not. dilate. At all. So I got it, slept, and had my baby. The epi is probably the only reason I didn't end up with a c-section.
    Best part was my baby at the end. I'm sorry, but that's all I've got.
    Anything else you'd like to add: from what I've heard, inductions can be awesome or suck royally. Mine sucked royally. That doesn't mean yours will! My best advice is to try to relax and not worry as much as possible... I know that's impossible though. Best of luck to you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With my first I was induced at 10 days over. Went in night before and had the tape with hormone inserted- i was 1 cm- went home, next morning went back, I was 2 cm- gave me gel that was about 8am. I went home - contractions started around 11am - went back to hospital had epidural - I was 7cm then and delivered at 6pm. No complications, no c section.
    With my second baby I wasn't induced and delivered at 9 days over.
  • Options
    Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child: First
    Was it successful or did it end in CS: Successful
    Total length of induction process: I had Cervidil put in at 7:30pm on 7/17, it was removed at 7am on 7/18. Pitocin started at 8am and DD was born at 1:39pm.
    Did induction start at night or early morning: Night with the Cervidil, morning with the Pitocin.
    How far progressed were you prior to induction: Less than a centimeter.
    Worst part of induction: My experience with induction was really positive - mainly because DD was so low and only needed a little encouragement. As my labor progressed, I had no break between contractions. That was a little exhausting.
    And for a bright side, best part of induction: Quick and successful - couldn't have asked for more!
    Anything else you'd like to add: :)
  • Options
    Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child:
    1st and 2nd.

Was it successful or did it end in CS?
    1st ended in CS and 2nda was a VBAC

Total length of induction process?
    Both times we started around 10. 1st ended at 11:05pm and 2nd at 3:49am. So 13 and almost 18 hours.

Did induction start at night or early morning?
    In the mornings for me.

How far progressed were you prior to induction?
    1st i was almost 3cms, like 70 percent effaced and soft. Never progressed past 4 cms. 2nd I was at 2 about 50 percent effaced, and soft.

Worst part of induction?
    Pitocin contractions suck butt. Bad! I had an epideral both times.

And for a bright side, best part of induction?
    Knowing we were almost done and soon to meet LO.

Anything else you'd like to add?
    As i have experienced induction twice with two very different deliveries my best advice is to take it slowly. With my first it felt like they tried to rush things along. We/they never really gave my body a chance to do what it was supposed to. With the second they held off doing interventions like pitocin until it was clear the foley bulb didnt push me into active labor. And even that was started low and increased very slowly! Oh and try to hold off on breaking your water. You put yourself on a clock once thats done. :D

Good luck!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    water broke at home .started pitocin at 4:30 pm and he was here at 10:13 pm
  • Options

Depending on how my final growth scan goes next week, I may be facing necessary induction due to asymmetrical IUGR.  My doctor is conservative when it comes to induction, so he will only do it if medically necessary.  Since I didn't go into labor with DD until 40+5, I'm worried about how my body would handle induction at 38+5.  Right now, at 37 weeks, I have no cervical progress. 

So if you don't mind sharing the following about your own induction experience....

Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child: 1st child
    Was it successful or did it end in CS: it was a successful vaginal delivery
    Total length of induction process: took cytotec at 9 pm then slept. Woke up and dr broke my water at 9 am. Had my son at 1:27 pm later that afternoon
    Did induction start at night or early morning:
    How far progressed were you prior to induction: 1 cm
    Worst part of induction: sleeping all hooked up
    And for a bright side, best part of induction: it was pretty quick and much faster than I expected
    Anything else you'd like to add:

Thanks, 0-3 months!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Total length of induction process: 17hr labor 1hour sewing and placenta removal
    Did induction start at night or early morning: early morning
    How far progressed were you prior to induction: 1cm
    Worst part of induction: length of labor and due to the quick descent I suffered "the worst tearing my dr has ever seen." This probably wasn't only due to the induction but also because my son was 9lbs and I didn't have an episiotomy
    And for a bright side, best part of induction: I felt really in control and lucky to have a scheduled delivery.
    Anything else you'd like to add: With an epidural it's pretty easy to make it through the early contractions (ask for it early if you plan on having one). I didn't have any qualms about the whole process. I also found that soft music and a light book helped the whole process.
  • Options
    1st pregnancy. I was induced at 40+6 after my baby showed some slight distress during my non-stress test. When admitted I was 1 cm dilated. We started with the balloon and after 24 hours of that I had only progressed to 2.5 cm dilation so they removed the balloon and began pitocin. Six hours into the pitocin I hadn't dilated anymore although I was having intense contractions lasting about a minute every 2-3 minutes. At about 32 hours into the induction process my baby's heart rate dropped and wouldn't rise so an emergency c-section was performed. 
  • Options
    Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child: 1st child (FTM :D)

Was it successful or did it end in CS: Successful vaginal delivery

Total length of induction process: A little over 24 hours

Did induction start at night or early morning: Night. We went in on a tuesday night to start the medication to soften my cervix. The following morning I was placed on pitocin to start labor.

How far progressed were you prior to induction: 1cm, 30-40% efaced.

Worst part of induction: I would have to say, fear of not knowing what was going to happen, and of course the contractions (ouch!)

And for a bright side, best part of induction: Ours was scheduled, so I would have to say, the best part was knowing when we would be expecting our LO instead of being in a random place going into labor :)

Anything else you'd like to add: After they started me on the pills that night, I had already started contracting, so much so they had to skip two doses until very late in the evening. The following day after I was placed on the pitocin, my water broke on its own and LO arrived late that evening.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

Was it successful or did it end in CS: Ended in CS

Total length of induction process: Checked into hospital at 7 am, pitocin was started right after 8, broke my water at 10, and by 3:30 a CS was called. I was immediately prepped & he was out by 4 pm.

Did induction start at night or early morning: early am

How far progressed were you prior to induction: 1 cm, & a little thinned out. Got to a 1.5 before my water broke, & i then swelled back down to a 1. After 7.5 hours on pitocin my body never went past that. And that's at 41w+2d.

Worst part of induction: not being allowed to eat before midnight. especially because I couldn't eat until after 8 that night due to the CS so when it hit I was starved. & how terrible the pitocin contractions were. especially since it was pain that wasn't getting me anywhere. pain with a purpose I could've handled.

And for a bright side, best part of induction: while getting prepped I finally got a spinal. even though they'd stopped the pitocin, contractions were still coming & that spinal was heaven. I'm sure an epi would've had the same effect if in labor, but I was trying to last to 4 cm before getting one. obviously that never happened. the beautiful baby that came afterwards of course!

Anything else you'd like to add: if it does end in a CS, it's not the end of the world. you still get a beautiful baby, & sometimes that's what is best for both mom & baby. it's taken me a long time to accept that. I was so mad at my body (& the pity looks I kept getting!) because it never progressed, but my baby was a serious chunk, sunny side up, my body wAsnt tolerating any of it. best of luck to you!!
  • Options
    Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child: 1st Was it successful or did it end in CS: success . No CS Total length of induction process14 hours: Did induction start at night or early morning: afternoon How far progressed were you prior to induction: 1 Worst part of induction: very strong contractions And for a bright side, best part of induction healthy baby: Anything else you'd like to add:
  • Options
    I was induced at 38w2d for preeclampsia. I hadn't made much progress less than a cm. I went in at 9 pm and ended up having to have a csection 36 hours later. He was my first. For me the worst part was the waiting. And once the contractions started they were ridiculously intense.
  • Options
    Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child: 1ST

Was it successful or did it end in CS: Successful Vaginal Delivery

Total length of induction process: 10 Hours from Cervidil to Birth

Did induction start at night or early morning: Night

How far progressed were you prior to induction: Not at all. Cervix was high and closed.

Worst part of induction: Laboring w/o meds for the first few hours. I did not need any pitocin, but I heard that makes the pain even worse.

And for a bright side, best part of induction: Being able to plan our last romantic dinner as a child-free couple before going to the hospital. 

Anything else you'd like to add: I was really afraid of induction, but it wasn't the nightmare I thought it would be. I was induced due to GD and IUGR at 39 weeks.

• Options
    Total length of induction process: 13.5 hours
    Did induction start at night or early morning: Early morning, started with cervadil the night before.
    How far progressed were you prior to induction: Zip, Ziltch, Nada
    Worst part of induction: Contractions were on top of each other at 3 cms, I wasn't prepared for that! There was no "early labor" to get used to labor which made it harder for me mentally.
    And for a bright side, best part of induction: I had my baby! He was safe and healthy!
    Anything else you'd like to add: I was induced at 38 weeks because of cholestasis of pregnancy.. this condition could have caused fetal distress and ultimately stillborn... so it was very important to get him out asap! Also, I ended up finally progressing quickly (3 to 10 cms) in about an hour. Also, it only took 2 pushes to get the baby out, so just because I was induced and had an epidural I was still able to push effectively! :)

Good Luck! 

• Options
    2nd child. Induced on my due date due to suspected macrosomia.

Was it successful or did it end in CS:
    Successful!

Total length of induction process:
    2 hours and 15 minutes

Early morning. We checked in at 5:30 AM and settled into our room at 6:15 AM.

How far progressed were you prior to induction:
    When I was admitted, I was 3 cm dilated and 75 percent effaced. I'd been 2 cm dilated and 50 percent effaced for the prior three weeks.

Worst part of induction:
    The fear that it would fail and that I'd have to have a c-section.

And for a bright side, best part of induction:
    My induction was phenomenal and a huge surprise, given all of the research and stories I'd read on the Bump. They started me on the pit at 7:30 AM; the epi kicked in at 8:30 AM; my water broke at 9:00 AM; I was fully dilated at 9:30 AM (so from 3 to 10 cm in 2 hours!) and I pushed for 15 minutes. I ended up with an episiotomy due to her head size, but no other tearing, and she was 8 lb. 13 oz. Not that big at all!

If I've learned anything from my experiences, it's that each pregnancy and delivery is completely different. Aside from the fact that contractions are a bitch and pushing is really hard, it's hard to predict what will happen. Doing the research is important, and preparing yourself for any scenario is the best way to head into the induction.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Was it successful or did it end in CS: success!
    Total length of induction process: Started pitocin at 8:15pm (not planned), didn't really go into painful active labor until around 1am, started pushing at 10:30am he was born at 11:11am
    How far progressed were you prior to induction: 2cm, 75%, -2
    Worst part of induction: around 7am contractions were one on top of another and so painful all I could do was scream. I thought I was in transition and would have waited it out, but she checked me and I was only 4. All I could do was scream for the epi which made it much more tolerable (it didn't help much with the pain in my pelvis of him moving through it and pushing him out though)
    And for a bright side, best part of induction: My nurses were wonderful, and of course meeting my baby. Also, getting the spinal/epi combo was fantastic (especially the spinal part, the best relief ever)

image   image
  • Options
    Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child: First one was induced

Was it successful or did it end in CS: c-section, though not the fault of the induction, IMO. I pushed.

Total length of induction process: 55 hours from cervadil to c-section

Did induction start at night or early morning: night

How far progressed were you prior to induction: 0 cm (I was 42 weeks though)

Worst part of induction: everything. It sucked.

And for a bright side, best part of induction: Ummm.

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    Was it successful or did it end in CS:  Successful, barely
    Total length of induction process:  22 hours
    Did induction start at night or early morning:  Pitocin started at 8AM, water was broken at 10:30AM
    How far progressed were you prior to induction: 2cm, 0%effaced

Worst part of induction: My contractions never got strong enough, I kept being told to "push harder" - I pushed so hard (for 3 hours), I tore a 5CM gash in an artery in my neck (VERY VERY rare), which could have potentially caused me to have a stroke, which wasn't diagnosed for 3 weeks and caused me a LOT of pain (like I said, it is VERY rare, I'm not even sure if it's ever happened to anyone else)

And for a bright side, best part of induction: Knowing for sure when the baby was coming (even at 41 weeks), I had no choice but to be "ready!" and of course, my very healthy 9lb, 7oz, 22" baby boy (My OB thought the baby was only going to be 8lbs)!

Anything else you'd like to add: If something seems "off" to you, make it known.  I feel I put too much faith in the medical staff knowing what they were doing (they've delivered thousands of babies, right??), but I feel like I would have gotten better care had my OB been there (she wasn't) and looking back, I probably should have insisted on a C-section after pushing for an hour or so (the OB delivering brought it up a couple times, but thought if I pushed some more, he would come...he did, but at a great cost to my health).  Good luck!
  • Options
    1st baby, had a great induction experience.
    I wasn't dilated, started on cervidal. It was started at 7 pm. 12 hours later, no progress, started pitocin. 2 hours later, I was at 3, dr broke my water. 3 hours and 40 minutes later, started pushing. After 20 minutes, had the baby.

I have nothing to complain about. This is my first baby, and it went extremely well. Way easier than I thought it would be!
  • Options
    Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child: induced with all 3 Was it successful or did it end in CS: all 3 successful Total length of induction process: 1st was about 13 hrs, 2nd was around 12hrs and 3rd was around 7hrs Did induction start at night or early morning: all 3 in the morning How far progressed were you prior to induction: 1st-not even a fingertip, my water broke 2nd- maybe 1-2cm and 3rd-4cm Worst part of induction: not sure, I don't know any other way and all labors were fairly "easy". 1st two got epi, 3rd was epi free :) And for a bright side, best part of induction: knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and knowing you get to meet your LO soon . Anything else you'd like to add: it's not as scary as everyone makes it out to be.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So if you don't mind sharing the following about your own induction experience.... Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child: my second Was it successful or did it end in CS: success !!! Total length of induction process: 8am pit start & baby at 4:11pm Did induction start at night or early morning: went to hospital at 5am How far progressed were you prior to induction: not at all Worst part of induction: being checked by residents (but that's what happens during the day, my last child was born at night and the residents had all left by then) And for a bright side, best part of induction: MUCH less tearing/episiotomy I'm guessing because it was a longer labor for me. My first labor was 2 hours. Anything else you'd like to add: I think you ate going to be just fine. I'd live to hear a follow up though :) well wishes!

• Options
    Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child: First and Second

Was it successful or did it end in CS: 2 Successful vaginal delivery

Total length of induction process: first was 53 hours, and the second was about 30 hours

Did induction start at night or early morning:  My first induction was started at about 9:00 pm due to preexisting hypertension, using cervidil.  The second was started at 6 pm because my water was leaking.

How far progressed were you prior to induction: For my first I had absolutely NO progress before hand, and for my second I was thin, soft, and 2 cm.

Worst part of induction: My body takes awhile to kick into gear with inductions, but when it finally is ready, things go FAST.  The worst part for me would be being checked every 4 hours, and being told that I hadn't made any progress.... this happened both times. I progressed rapidly during the last hour of both inductions. 

And for a bright side, best part of induction: Having 2 healthy beautiful girls, one at 39 weeks, and the second was born 2 weeks ago at 36 weeks! 

Anything else: My only piece of advice could go for typical labor as well. If something happens, and you're unable to get the epidural.. you'll be fine, STAY CALM!   With my first daughter, I waited too long and was not able to sit still during the epidural, which led to it not working, at all.  This time, I chose to get it at 3 1/2 cm.... but the rest of my water ruptured, and I delivered as the anestesiologist walked into the room. The pain IS bad, but it is a pain that is SO worth it! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child:   1st (age 40, surprise after 14 years of marriage!)
    Was it successful or did it end in CS: Successful, vaginal birth with vacuum assist 
    Total length of induction process: Pitocin given at 7 am- baby born at 5:41 pm
    Did induction start at night or early morning: early morning, but I was checked into the Birthing Inn the night before for a Cervadil insertion, which did nothing
    How far progressed were you prior to induction: 70% effaced, 2 cm dilated
    Worst part of induction: The doctor scheduled it for me without asking. I had no problems during the pregnancy and was only 4 days overdue (by their guestimated calculations since I was never trying to have a child and had not kept track of periods). I really am upset considering the latest JAMA research findings about the link between inductions and Autism. )-; I feel the docs should have let my labor come naturally!

And for a bright side, best part of induction: I knew I was having a baby and that he was alive.

Anything else you'd like to add: If I had it to do over again, I'd refuse to be induced until I was significantly overdue. The new findings about links to autism really bother me.
  • Options
    First baby

Water broke the morning of my induction but no contractions. Started pitocin 2 hours later. 7 am. Worst part of induction is contractions on top of one another as strong as they come. Epidural was needed so I could keep energy to push. She ended up being too big for me to get through the birth canal and used forceps to get her out. Fourth degree tear. Best part was ... Her finally getting here . But induction was not good for me !
  • Options
    MrsSteSteMrsSteSte member
    edited August 2013
    1st

Ended in CS :(( like deep down I knew it would.

Total length of induction process:
    Almost 6 hours spent trying to get out of the induction (monitoring, US, talking to drs, poking/prodding, etc), then 24 hours of actual induction/labor prior to CS. ETA: started induction at 40+6, CS at 41 weeks.

Appt was at 6:30am. Didn't actually end up starting induction until 1pm.

How far progressed were you prior to induction:
    Not enough, obviously. I think I was 1-2 cm and 60ish% effaced? I can't believe I don't remember these details already!

Worst part of induction:
    All of it, ESP the CS. It led to nearly every single thing I didn't want to happen.

And for a bright side, best part of induction:
    There isn't one. Well, I guess the fact that I get more STD now? But really, nothing.

Even though I'm more thankful than there are words to have a perfect, healthy little boy, I'll never stop regretting agreeing to the induction, which led to one of my biggest fears, the CS.
    image"">imageimageimage

• Options
    Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child: I was induced for both my first (water broke, but labor didn't want to start on its own) and second (twins @38weeks).

Was it successful or did it end in CS: CS both times.

Total length of induction process: The first one lasted 6 hours before an emergency CS due to both DS and my heart rates dropping dangerously.  The second lasted 32 hours.

Did induction start at night or early morning: Early morning both times.

How far progressed were you prior to induction: 1cm with the first, 2cm with the second.

Worst part of induction: My epi didn't work during the second induction so I felt everything for all 32 hours including two attempts at turning Baby A.  With the first induction, the worst part was needing an emergency CS.

And for a bright side, best part of induction: I don't have one. 

Anything else you'd like to add: I personally had two bad experiences with being induced.  Given the choice again, I would have an elective CS.  Everyone is different, but inductions just don't go well for me.

• Options
    Was it your 1st, 2nd, etc. child: 2nd

Was it successful or did it end in CS: successful

Total length of induction process: induction to delivery was about 12 hours

Did induction start at night or early morning: around 9pm

How far progressed were you prior to induction: 1cm

Worst part of induction: the anticipation and going to the bathroom with the cervical balloon in.

And for a bright side, best part of induction: I felt very little because we started at night. Two hours after the balloon was inserted I was given Tylenol and a sleeping pill. When they woke me up to move me to L&D I was at 5 cm and the gave me the epi before they broke my water. I slept through most of it.

Anything else you'd like to add: I had pitocin and the balloon with my first, but my water broke first and I was only 1/2 cm, the 4 hours before I could get the epi were the most excruciating pain I have ever felt. I was beyond thrilled with my induction.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    I went in to be induced at 5:30 in the morning they started pitocin at like 7:30 and broke my water at 12:30 then I dilated pretty good ended up getting a epidural after a few hours. Then I stopped dilating at 9cm at about 9 something but got a high fever of 102 and she wasn't coming down anymore. So they decided to a emergency c section because of my fever and I stopped dilating. Turns out she was stuck and turn slightly. I have birth at 10:26 pm to a 9.2 lbs and 20inches long. She was my first
  • Options

It was successful

Total length of induction process: started pitocen around 7pm had her the next day at 1 o'clock in the afternoon

Did induction start at night or early morning: evening

How far progressed were you prior to induction: 3cm

Worst part of induction: honestly, nothing was really bad for me. It was an easy process.

And for a bright side, best part of induction: getting my to hold my baby when it was over

I had an easy induction, everything went well we had no problems
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"