Pregnant after 35

Covering the Gray?

Anyone else dealing with this?

Unfortunately I started going gray 10 years ago and I color my hair (single process) but now that I found out I'm pregnant I know I can't.

I called my OB's office and was told that highlights were OK after the 1st trimester (for me that's late January?ugh!) but not put color directly on the scalp. In February I'll see how I can remain a brunette with highlights.

But for the next 2 months what do I do? Just go gray?

I have this Bumble & Bumble colored hair powder... can I use that daily to camouflage it? It's mostly corn and oat starch.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!

Re: Covering the Gray?

• My doctor told me to color if I wanted.  I have a friend who went to the same doctor, and she colored her hair throughout her entire pregnancy.

I got mine done about a month ago.  Actually- longer.  The hairstyist used a demi- permanent organic dye that has less chemicals in it. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I had to cancel my highlights and general color appointment for the first tri.  But I found an at home alternative.  Nice and Easy has this "root touch up" color where you just brush it on in the front where your gray shows up.   I've used it twice so far.  It is similar to a rinse and fairly mild.  But I've been gray since 29- so desperate times, call for desperate measures!  :-) 

I'm well into 2nd tri and making an appointment for Christmas time.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much for the suggestion, ZheeZhee! I'm going to buy that and hopefully it will do the trick.

I'm not going to risk getting my hair professionally colored until my 2nd trimester, no matter how tempted I am!  But after that, I will probably get demi permament color and highlights to cover the gray.

• I have struggled with this myself. My doctor told me not to color. It drives me crazy not to, but I'm waiting until 12 weeks. I want to be as safe as possible. Then maybe I'll try root touch up idea.
  • Yeah- My doc said - If you can make it through the first trimester, then go to.   We can't have a bunch of pregnant ladies with their roots showing running around, can we?

I like my doc. LOL - I did make it, (wanted to die, but I made it) and headed to the Aveda salon after that.    I do the Clairol root touch up between trips to the salon.   I should buy *stock* in that stuff.. it's fab.  :)

Christine

• My OB said it was fine to color the whole time but I waited to do all over color until mid 2nd tri just because I am a freak.
  • My OB said highlights are fine.  The one bad side effect of my pregnancy is that the amount of gray hair I have has quadrupled.  It's awful.  I have to color more often since having the baby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I did all-over color during both pregnancies.  What is the reluctance about hair coloring?  I can't see how it would have any effect on a pregnancy. 

• KKMMex, the reluctance to color is because there are mixed reports about the amount of chemicals absorbed into your skin through your scalp during single process coloring.

I don't want to chance it?especially during the first trimester?and have already cancelled my hair appointment for next week. I may do the Nice & Easy stuff in the next few weeks (if it doesn't touch my scalp) or I'll just look like a skunk until late January. Maybe I'll wear hats!

It's good to know that I'm not alone. Younger women most likely wouldn't understand this. 

• Hmmm-I highlighted throughout both pregnancies, but decided to go dark last month.  My hairstylist used a semi-perm dye a couple times on it.  My doctor didn't bat an eye, but you will find that different doctors give different advice. 

I would try the powder and then go with highlights.  Maybe if you use an organic dye?

• I say Go Grey!  You've earned every one of those hairs--wear them proudly!  =)
  • I've had my hair highlihgt through both pg's so far.  I asked my DR and she said that highlights are fine.  I also asked my hairstylist and she agreed .  She said that when you highlight, the color does not usually touch the scalp so it is considered safe.
  • I'm hanging my head in shame...

Dr. told me not to color in 1st tri...fine, except I had already been slacking and hadn't colored since Feb.
    It is now December, and I STILL haven't colored my hair. DH calls me "Old Grey"
    I am lucky enough to have a skunk streak and more scattered throughout...it is ugly and I am coloring my hair tonight and painting the nursey...so, color for all!

P.S. Here is a pic of my shameful grey!

• I'm so glad you girls are talking about this. I don't have massive amounts of gray, but I was thinking about getting a fancy dye-job for my wedding. I have dark hair and wanted to get rid of the gray and have an Audrey, circa Breakfast At Tiffany's, blond streak. I then thought the better of it fearing that the handful of grays I have weren't worth covering if my hair grew out and I started looking like my calico cat because I couldn't dye. I'm now thinking about doing a cheeky 2nd Tri job and seeing how long I can get by after that.

• I'm so glad you asked the question. I am paranoid to color mine right now too and it is SO bad. Originally a dirty blonde but it's been getting darker as I get older (39) so I have been highlighting it. Problem is the prenatal vitamins make your hair & nails grow real fast. So now I have like 2 inches of brownish roots with highlighted streaks on the rest of the head. I just feel like a mess. As soon as I out of of 1st trimester I am coloring the whole head the same as my roots and then get just a tiny bit of highlights that won't be so noticeable should I go 6 motnhs without doing anything else. I wish I could wear a baseball cap to work.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think there's any real reason you can't color your hair.  I honestly can't remember if I did, but I did get a relaxer.
  • What about using something like a non-permanent color? like Natural Instincts by Clairol, it has no ammonia.... I'm guessin this has to be the most harshest of chemicals, right?  I'm going to call up by doc on Monday to see if I can use this, I desperately need a color too!
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I colored my hair while pg.  My doctor said it was ok.  My DD is fine!
  • My doctor told me to wait till 3rd trimester.  He said that there was a very slight (something like 3%) chance of heart defects.

He is out of  a hospital in Boston - and is very current on research studies, ergo this may make him a little more paranoid than usual.

I have been using waterproof mascara.... yes, it takes a while.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"