Pregnant after 35
Options

Induction at 39

Hello ladies,
Doctor dropped a bomb on me yesterday and said I had to be induced at 39 weeks. I was shocked because I have had a perfect pregnancy and am in great health. She said because I was AMA it's not advisable to go further for safety of baby. I was planning on a natural birth. Anyone experience the same? Not sure what I am going to do.

Re: Induction at 39

• Options
    I was over 35 for my last two babes and I never heard of that.  My last was delivered naturally at 41 weeks.  I would ask more questions I were you. Good Luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My OB told me the same thing at my first appointment.  Said due to my age we would probably induce.  I'm 41.  She said there is a higher risk in stillbirth going full term but didn't explain exactly why.  I'm 23 weeks so still a ways to go.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Reviving and old thread... Because I'm hoping to hear some current experiences. 
    Like the OP, I was just told by my OB that their norm is to induce mom's 40+ at 39 weeks. 
    I really don't want an induction, but am assuming I would probably hear the same thing anywhere else go.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    My OB told me I'd be monitored extra closely the last month and that she wouldn't let me go past my due date.  I'll be 42.
  • Options
    I had my son at 41wks at age 35 with no dramas - 4hr natural labor. Kept getting told I needed to be induced, but I refused. I did have a stretch and sweep 2 days before delivery which did something. Lost mucus plug that evening and labor started next day. I preferred that to meds/induction. Maybe ask for a stretch and sweep? 
  • Options
    I'm 38. Had my first at 36. My doctor never said anything either pregnancy about me induced early. 
  • Options
    I'm in a different boat than you guys, with mo/di twins. The babies share a placenta, and sometimes the placenta fails in late pregnancy. So the farthest we'll go is 37 weeks (36&6 is what the data I've read supports).

But I have read that late term placenta failure (and stillbirth because of it) is more common with AMA. I suspect that with that, I'm going to get more monitoring. I've been told to think of 35 weeks as full term for this pregnancy.

I might get induced, but more likely, it will be c-section.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)