Baby Names
Options

What could be a full name for "Rory"?

Husband and I love Rory as a nickname but can't think of a good "full/formal" name to go with it....any suggustions?  I'm googling it and coming up with the following....

Lorelei - good possibility....
Aurora
Caroline -  I like this but DH doesn't
Gloria
Victoria

Just curious to see if anyone has any suggustions!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: What could be a full name for "Rory"?

• Options
    I love the name Caroline, but Rory is a full name in itself.  It's considered a boy's name in Ireland.
  • Options

imagemdsjch:
    I love the name Caroline, but Rory is a full name in itself.  It's considered a boy's name in Ireland.

Lots of girls names are originally boys names...Riley, Jamie, Avery....those are the ones on the top of my head and i know there are lots more.  So I'm okay with that. 

I love Rory, but not as a full name.  So just trying to think of some full name possibilities...even if it's a stretch i'm okay with that.  I love Caroline, but DH is not a fan...darn it! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

To me Rory is a boy name. I've only ever heard it used for a girl as a nn for Lorelei and that's from Gilmore Girls. I don't get how you get Rory out of Lorelei and I don't think it's necesary to nn Lorelei, unless in the case of GG, where she was named after her mother. I can see it working for Aurora but not the others.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hmmm... maybe something that starts with R would work, like Ramona? 
  • Options
    imagestarsjaime:

imagemdsjch:

Lots of girls names are originally boys names...Riley, Jamie, Avery....those are the ones on the top of my head and i know there are lots more.  So I'm okay with that. 

I love Rory, but not as a full name.  So just trying to think of some full name possibilities...even if it's a stretch i'm okay with that.  I love Caroline, but DH is not a fan...darn it! 

Oh I have no problem with boy as girl names.  My sister's name is devin, which I know goes to both genders.  I just meant it was a real name on it's own. 

• Options

Well, you already have the traditional one- Lorelei. And you've spelled it correctly, which is awesome (a LOT of people spell it wrong). So I think you should stop looking for other options. Lorelei is gorgeous, and anything else is just going to be a stretch. For instance, Roberta, Rosemary, Veronica... see what I mean? Plus, none of those names seem like your style anyway.

• Options

I like it as a nn for Aurora or Victoria.  Here's a post asking the same thing on Nameberry, with a few good suggestions.  Of those, I like Aurelia and Cordelia.

• Options
    My friend named her first DD Aurora and she goes by Rory. I think it's cute.
    DD#1 born July 2007 (22 days early via emergency c-sec) DD#2 born March 2009 (14 days early via c-sec) BFP 5/21/10 - Confirmed miscarriage 6/25/10 - D&C 7/6/10 BFP 10/6/10 - u/s @ 5w5d and 7w1d showing a healthy growing baby. C-section scheduled for 6/17/11. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

All I can come up with is what you have on your list already plus Veronica & Corissa.

Aurora is my fav for this nn option. 

Some of the names make me think of Scooby Doo when trying to get the nn Rory ie "Groria" or "Carorine"

"When the world says, 'Give up,' Hope whispers, 'Try one more time.'" -Anonymous

• Options
    imageCluckyEV:
    Some of the names make me think of Scooby Doo when trying to get the nn Rory ie "Groria" or "Carorine"
    LOL'd.
  • Options
    imageCluckyEV:

All I can come up with is what you have on your list already plus Veronica & Corissa.

Aurora is my fav for this nn option. 

Too funny! So true!

Thanks everyone!  I do love lorelei....Oh who knows what we will do! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Aurora is the only one that you listed that makes any sense to me.

Also, I think it's silly to choose a name for its nickname. The nickname should come naturally from a given name you love. Picking a given name just because it works for the nickname seems backwards.

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options

I know a bunch of Rories, both boys and girls.  Here's the breakdown:

GIRLS

Rory (full name)

Rory (nn for Aurora)

Rory (nn for Lorraine)  <-- I don't get this one either...

BOYS

Rory (full name)

Rory (nn for Robert)

imageimageimage

TTC since March 2009 // Me and DH - 28
    Testing Summer/Fall 2010 - Unexplained IF
    IUIs #1-4 ~ Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
    IUI #5 ~ Femara/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ BFN
    IUIs #6-9 ~ Research Study Meds/Pregnyl/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
    IVF Consultation, More Testing
    Diagnostic Cycle ~ Mucinex/Progesterone/TI ~ BFN
    IVF #1 ~ Menopur/Bravelle/Ganirelix/Novarel/Progesterone/Lupron
    7R, 6F // 2 transferred // 3 frosties ~ BFN
    FET #1 ~ Estrace/PIO/Lupron
    3 thawed // 2 transferred // 1 lost // no more frosties ~ BFP!!
    Beta #1 - 456 // Beta #2 - 1176 // Beta #3 - 2933 // Beta #4 - 6753
    EDD: May 16, 2013
    Threatened MC at 6w2d
    Bedrest for SCH // 6w2d through 10w1d
    Elevated TSH and Lazy Thyroid DX @ 10w - Started Synthroid
    Finally released from RE at 13w
    Charles Everett ~ Born 5/20/2013

~~ My IF Blog ~~ 

• Options

One that came to my mind was Corinne. I know that Cori is a nickname for that, but I think Rory could work too.

imageimage
  • Options
    DD's name is Aurora (after my grandmother) and her nickname is Rory. It fits her perfectly!
    Photobucket
    aCg 3.1.07 | hCr 5.5.11
  • Options

My first name is Rory, so I am fine with it being used for a girl. :)

I also have a friend who named her little girl Aurora, but calls her Rori.

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"