May 2016 Moms
Options

Hospital Bag

Since (for the most part) we all know what we're having or are team green and have started actively shopping I thought we should have a discussion about the hospital bag! STM's what did you bring/forget/wish you would have had? FTM's have you read any good articles/spoken to anyone with good ideas about what to bring? I didn't see another post on this so forgive me if there is one! I will say DH made fun of me for bringing all of this but we didn't want or need anything. I bolded what i actually used and was thankful I had.

I brought:

4 pairs of PJ's (shorts bc I had hot flashes like crazy after birth and was told that would happen): 4 shorts, 1 pair pj pants, 4 flannel shirts (I BF and these were so comfy and easy), 4 nursing tanks, 2 pairs of socks (I hate wearing socks), flip flops (2 bc I wore some in the shower), and plenty of headbands and hair ties.
Shampoo/conditioner/body wash/loofah (I had an in room shower)
Chap stick
Phone chargers
Lotion
Clothes for DH
1 going home outfit for DD (we did a lot of skin to skin with blankets so we didn't dress her often)
Boppy
Snacks
Money for vending machine/cafe at the hospital
A book for me and one for DH
2-3 towels for my shower
Pillow from home
Blanket from home (I'm sentimental that way) and one for DH too (he never used it)
Tylenol and daily meds (including prenatal)
Nipple cream
Night time nursing bras (4)
Nipple pads (for leaking JIC)
Puzzle books (didn't use any of them)
Toothbrush and tooth paste (some for DH too)
Hair brush
Ziploc bags (for my rings or jewelry JIC I couldn't wear them)
I didn't bring this per se until the last day but I had DH go across the street and buy the nursing staff coffee and donuts.

This time I will bring (in addition):

Tablet/charger
I may make my own presents to give my nurses

Been married since 2009.
Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
Several MCs
DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

Re: Hospital Bag

• Options
    Great post! In addition to what you mentioned, I took boy short underwear and pads. Although the hospital provides the mesh panties and large pads. I haven't thought about this but your list is a good starting point. Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Great post! In addition to what you mentioned, I took boy short underwear and pads. Although the hospital provides the mesh panties and large pads. I haven't thought about this but your list is a good starting point. Thanks!
    Totally forgot about the underwear haha!!
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Options
    Definitely second the towel and depends if your water breaks! I felt silly in adult diapers but it was really great for getting to the hospital without making a huge mess. I've heard they can be good for after too but I had a c/s so less issues in that area.

I'm the less is more type. So I brought: pillows for me and DH, the boppy, going home outfit for DS, yoga pants and a loose top for myself, snacks, phone chargers, a mix cd and some toiletries. I stayed in the hospital gear until it was time to go home. DH went home a couple times anyway since we didn't board the dogs (it happened early at 3 am).

This time we can hopefully board the dogs but we now have DS so I don't know how we'll do that exactly. Hoping for a VBAC so I don't need 4 days in the hospital afterward.
  • Options
    Thank you for posting this. I was going to ask you experienced mamas what to take.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    Just a few to add:
    -purell wipes (I like to wipe off bed rails and call bells)
    -bar soap. I can't stand the liquid antibacterial stuff.
    -Depends for post-delivery containment of body fluids!  It's hard to keep a pad in place if you have a catheter from a c-section.
    -camera
    -contacts, glasses, solution
    -bath towel

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    jessiedee13jessiedee13 member
    edited January 2016
    I brought:

For myself:
    Travel size toiletries
    My own tp (I can't do that hospital stuff)
    3 pairs of sweats
    4 t shirts
    Nursing bra
    Body pillow
    Blanket
    Camera/charger
    Phone/charger
    Wallet and all essentials in it (money, insurance cards ect)
    Prenatals

For labor I also brought a couple books, but ended up needin a c section so I didn't bring anything like that the second time.

For dh:
    He packed his own clothes idk what he brought lol
    A magazine to read
    Phone/charger
    2 blankets
    Pillow

For baby:
    Outfit for hospital pics
    3 size nb sleepers
    1 size 0-3 sleeper
    1 size 0-3 outfit
    Baby blanket
    Several baby mittens
    Several socks

This time I'm planning to bring more clothes for myself, since *tmi* I'm a bleeder and a half and ended up back in the hospital gown calling my MIL to bring me some clothes so I could come home. I'm also considering bringing more 0-3 sleepers for baby. I used them alot with ds2 but it was December and very cold and naturally the heater in our room wasn't working. He wore the same sleeper for our whole stay. I'm also bringing our own baby book since our hospital no longer provides them. Plus I'm hoping to remember to do nurse gifts this time, because I forgot the other times and felt bad afterwards when I realized.

Edit to add: slippers or flip flops! Oh my lord, I had to put my actual shoes on with ds2 because I forgot them and it was December so I didn't just wear flip flops...was real shoes (and naturally I forgot extra socks as well) or barefoot because "we're remodeling and don't have anything on hand to give you". Ugh. Thanks guys. Post c section and knee high boots was not a good time.
  • Options
    These are great. I'm copy and pasting as I scroll through this and editing to make my list from your suggestions. You guys are great! Although.. not sure I have a big enough bag to accommodate all this stuff! -_- and I now realize I need to buy some tops that make BF easy and bigger yoga pants.
  • Options
    Last time I packed too much since we don't have the option to leave things in a car. Plus even though we were lucky enough to get a private room, it was roughly the size of a dorm room cut in half so space was an issue. Below is what I actually used.

FYI if you don't get a private room the showers are in the hallway (at NYU and most hospitals here) so I would pack with that in mind. Also DH went home the night before we were discharged to get the car seat.

For me:
    Nursing pjs and robe
    Slippers that you either don't mind throwing out or can wash later
    Flip flops
    Toiletries, towels and hair dryer
    Lounge pants
    Nursing tanks
    Maternity leggings/this time I'll bring whatever is seasonally appropriate
    Black boy shorts (black everything actually, much easier for the first few days when you're bleeding the most)
    Phone chargers
    Nipple cream (hospital did not supply at all, DH had to go buy some)
    A new package of hair ties (they always go missing when you need one)
    Treats for nurses

DH:
    Lounge pants and tshirts
    Socks
    Sweatshirt
    Camera and laptop
    Small speakers to play music during labor (actually ended up being the most important thing he brought, the music was really helpful in keeping me calm)

Baby:
    Going home outfit
    Newborn onesies and socks
    Cozy blanket/nice blanket for photos
    Pacifier in case we decide to use (hospital doesn't provide)
    Maybe a small gift for DS1 from DS2

• Options

Omg the pads!! I forgot how monstrous they are! I will definitely be bringing slim ones this time around.
  • Options
    This is my actual list from my iPhone. Evidently, I checked off everything as I packed it.

Hospital bag:
    Colace✔
    Mints and sugar free hard candies✔
    Baby book for foot prints!✔
    Slippers✔
    Flip flops for shower✔
    Nursing bras✔ nursing pads✔
    Chapstick✔
    Hairbrush✔
    Toothbrush/paste✔
    Deodorant✔
    Face wash/makeup remover✔
    Makeup✔
    Shampoo/conditioner✔
    Contacts/glasses
    Loofa✔
    Headband/hair ties✔
    Cell and charger✔
    Camera/memory card✔
    Video camera ✔
    Bag for hubby✔
    Extra pillows with colored pillow cases✔
    Going home outfit-yoga pants, sandals
    Leggings, sweater/cardigan✔
    Bath towels✔
    Body wash✔
    Cheap hanes Underwear ✔
    iPod
    Rice sock✔
    Lotion/essential oil
    Snacks✔and coconut water (need to put in fridge or make a small cooler)
    Boppy✔
    Food!✔
    Ziplock bag for all important documents

For baby:
    Scratch mittens✔
    Socks✔
    Swaddle blanket✔
    Car seat w/ snuggle me✔
    Coming home outfit/ hat✔
    Warm receiving blanket✔

• Options
    I way over packed last time. I'll take this as an opportunity to make my new list:

-Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash, loofah, towel
    -hairbrush
    -toothbrush and toothpaste
    -deodorant
    -Going home outfit for baby, the rest of the time baby can be in the hospital-provided shirts and diapers and just be cuddled up with mom and dad
    -Postpartum binder! I'm not a c section momma, but a binder would have helped my abdominal and pelvic floor muscles so much!
    -Pillows and blankets for me and hubby
    -Phones and chargers
    -iHome for music during labor
    -birth ball
    -chapstick
    -healthy snacks for labor (midwife approved)
    -birth and postpartum preferences for all
    -swim top for laboring in water
    -loose fitting tops and super soft camis for easy access nursing and skin to skin. I never got into nursing tanks and bras, I just push whatever I'm wearing to the side. Less fussy.
    -super soft and stretchy sleeping bra only. No under wires or molded cups will grace my bag ever again.
    -pj and yoga pants only, ***dark colors to hide any breakthrough bleeding
    -lightweight cotton robe
    -socks (don't like hospital socks)
    -whatever shoes I wear into the hospital
    -CPST installed car seat

I love the idea of buying coffee and donuts for nurses. Last time I made cupcakes while I was in labor. Nixing that. Simpler is better.

On standby at home:
    -frozen colostrum in syringes in case we'd need to supplement for whatever reason.
    -hair dryer

Don't bother worrying about:
    -make up
    -makeup remover
    -hair straightener
    -diapers
    -clothes for baby beyond a going home outfit
    -baby blankets
    -baby book (I thought I'd ask the nurses to help me get dd's footprint in her baby book. No dice)
    -pads
    -panties
    -cute clothes
    -jewelery
    -bras with any shape
    -pump (use the hospital grade pump if you need to! Take your pump to a la Leche league before you have your baby to learn about how to use it)
    -Boppy. Boppy and I didn't get along, but some women swear by theirs. Mine is staying home this time.
    -dedicated camera for the birth (phones are better)
    -books to pass the time
    -crossword puzzles
    -laptop
    -anything meant to kill time. There's no time between people in and out of the room, baby care, self care, eating, and sleeping.

While we're at it, here's what is going to be waiting for us at home:

-a hot meal
    -ice pads, aka padsicles
    -colace
    -prep h or comparable hemmy cream
    -Epsom salts
    -witch hazel
    -lavender essential oil (to be combined with Epsom salts and witch hazel for postpartum sitz baths)
  • Options
    These lists are such a good resource, thank you! Question: what kind of nurse presents do you bring? I haven't heard of it before but it sounds like a great idea.
  • Options
    babyfmama said:

These lists are such a good resource, thank you! Question: what kind of nurse presents do you bring? I haven't heard of it before but it sounds like a great idea.

@babyfmama I brought them food. Cookie trays and edible arrangements.
  • Options
    what's a postpartum binder?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I wore the hospital gown the whole time I was in...didn't see the point in ruining my own clothes, the amount of blood postpartum is like a horror movie.

What I did pack and use:
    Underwear
    Nursing bra
    Going home maxi dress/cardigan
    Flip flops
    Bathrobe (for walking around while in labor)
    Toiletries (toothpaste, lotion, shampoo etc.)
    iPad
    phone charger

That was it, the hospital had or gave me everything else I needed!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

What I packed and used -
    underwear
    2 nursing tank tops
    a pair of shorts, and a pair of pajama pants
    maxi dress to go home in/flip flops
    bathrobe
    slippers
    toiletries
    make-up (I was happy to have my concealer and mascara)
    phone charger
    outfit/blanket to take the baby home in

DH didn't bring anything; we live 20 minutes from the hospital and he went home each day to shower and change.  I think he probably brought back a pair of pajama pants and a toothbrush for himself.

image        image

• Options
    kp90 said:
    These are great. I'm copy and pasting as I scroll through this and editing to make my list from your suggestions. You guys are great! Although.. not sure I have a big enough bag to accommodate all this stuff! -_- and I now realize I need to buy some tops that make BF easy and bigger yoga pants.
    Yeah...DH has a huge military style bag. It was definitely packed to the brim and was a site seeing him haul the thing.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Options
    kbrands7 said:
    I brought -- travel sizes of toiletries for DH and me -- cotton robes, nursing tanks, and maxi skirts/maternity leggings. I was warm at night, but the hospital bedding was scratchy so I was ultimately more comfortable in long pants. -- flip flops -- change of clothes and comfy pants for DH -- a pillow for DH and for me from home with a bright pillow case (so they didn't get mixed with hospital bedding). -- going home outfit for DS. We did lots of skin to skin too, so he was either swaddled or on me under a blanket most of the time. -- snacks for DH -- health info/birth preferences -- hair ties -- phone chargers, tablet, tablet charger -- prenatals and DH's meds/vitamins -- thank you gift for nurses (my mom brought this in for me on day 2) As a FTM, I wish I would have brought my pump on day 1. DH brought it in later and the lactation consultant showed me the tricks and how to clean the parts best. This time, I'm also packing some books to read with the baby and DS as well as a support postpartum binder for me. The hospital gave me a cheap one last time and it didn't fit well. If I get to vbac, I'll bring an exercise ball for labor. If I rcs, I'm bringing natural antinausea stuff so I hopefully won't have zofran making me and DS2 sleepy. Not a hospital bag thing, but starting around 36 weeks, I started sitting on a puppy training pad in my car and on the couch in case my water broke. We got a waterproof pad for the mattress too. This time, I'll keep a diaper with me as well (my experience with water breaking was that a pad doesn't cut it at all...I soaked a small towel in the 10 minutes between home and the hospital). I also stashed a towel in my car.
    WOW that is an excellent idea about the puppy pads/towels! Buying a waterproof mattress pad as we speak! Thanks!!!
  • Options
    amovin21 said:
    what's a postpartum binder?
    Think of waist training corsets. I think belly bandit is very popular. It's to help shrink your belly back/keep your belly in. The one I have also shrinks your hips back.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Options
    babyfmama said:
    If you don't want to bring food there's a ton of cute ideas on Pinterest.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Options
    Question: obviously I'll try to get my act together and bring this stuff, but what if I don't? Anyone have any experience in going straight to hospital with no bag packed? Was it horrible? What did you wish you had the most? If you could only have three things with you, what would they be? Mostly because these lists are overwhelming me, and I'd like a simple grasp on what is truly most essential to get my planning in gear!
  • Options
    Pascal86 said:

Question: obviously I'll try to get my act together and bring this stuff, but what if I don't? Anyone have any experience in going straight to hospital with no bag packed? Was it horrible? What did you wish you had the most? If you could only have three things with you, what would they be? Mostly because these lists are overwhelming me, and I'd like a simple grasp on what is truly most essential to get my planning in gear!

If I was you, I'd plan on packing the bag about 4 weeks ahead of your due date. It might seem overwhelming now, but you'll be happy you packed them. Especially your comforts from home. For example, I was explicitly told at our birth class not to use the hospital pillows. They've been everywhere including the floor...I used absolutely everything on my list except for essential oils, because I couldn't focus on breathing, let alone breathing in lavender scented aromas. Haha
  • Options
    Pascal86 said:

This was me. I really wasn't expecting to be admitted 4 weeks before my due date! DH had to run home and get everything I needed. He basically grabbed me comfy clothes, phone charger, and stuff to shower. That's really all I had!

I would suggest packing before 36 weeks.
  • Options
    Ok reading through this list and making my own, it dawned on me that I can travel internationally for a month and needs less than I will need for 2 days in the hospital!

What I am thinking I need as a start...

For me
    PJs (2 pairs)
    Yoga Pants
    Tanks
    Bras (3)
    Underwear
    Robe
    Go Home Outfit
    Socks
    Hair Ties
    Brush
    Toothbrush/paste
    Lip Balm
    Cold Sore Meds
    Vitamins
    Phone Charger
    Ipod
    Kindle
    Pads
    Pump
    Soap
    Glasses
    Nipple Cream
    Deoderant

For DH
    Change of clothes
    Snacks
    Water
    Money
    Toothbrush
    Deodorant

Meds
    Phone Charger

For baby girl
    Going Home Outfit
    Hat
    Scratch Mitt
    Blanket
    Socks
    Couple of onesies
    Pacifiers

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    JennyS86JennyS86 member
    edited January 2016
    Pascal86   Also keep in mind that if you go early, like I did, you really only need things for yourself because baby will be staying in the nicu.  I was admitted in preterm labor with just my purse and outfit I was wearing.  DH came straight from work, but I really didn't need anything immediately because I was bedridden with a hospital gown on, and of course no underpants. My MIL came later that day with a blanket, water bottles, a journal, and trashy magazines.  I wasn't in a place to care about reading, but I did journal our hospital stay and nicu stay.  DH used the blanket.
    About 36hrs later when I was stabilized, DH went home. I spoke with him on the phone and directed him to bring more clothes, toiletries, flip flops, a bath towel, chapstick, glasses, my laptop & book (I didn't use either one), and my calendar.
    You really don't need much in the imperfect situation, but that being said, my bag is already packed in case I get admitted for labor or shortened cervix. It is just my basic toiletries, towel, flip flops, and 2 outfits.  I am certainly hoping to repack my bag around 34-35weeks to include newborn items!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    Pascal86 said:
    I can definitely speak to this! I went in, not in labor, but in complete liver failure at 34 weeks and needed an emergency CS. I was in no way prepared to be going home with a baby! We literally brought nothing to the hospital. I felt like such an idiot at first, but was shocked how well we managed. I only had my purse with me which had chapstick, my wallet with some cash and my insurance card, my cell phone and charger. That's it. I didn't have my contact lenses (I was wearing my glasses), any extra clothes, nothing for the baby, nothing for MH. My mom ran to Target and bought a few nursing tank tops and black maternity yoga pants and a pack of black underpants, granny panty style that go up to your belly button and are super baggy. The NICU had preemie outfits for my son since we only had NB and 0-3 sizes and he was too tiny. I was in the hospital a bit longer than most so MH had time to get the car seat installed before discharge. He hadn't had a chance to officially ask for time off work so he would just come by in the evenings. One night he brought my favorite maxi dress as my going home outfit and I am so glad he did. It felt nice to be wearing something special on the ride home. I did use the hospital pads, slipper socks, gowns, and toiletries, but would've preferred flip flops and my own soap/shampoo. The hospital also provided a pump, nipple pads, nipple cream, diapers, formula samples, everything.

Basically, if you have the opportunity to only pack a few things, here is my bare-bones must have list:
    -phone/charger
    -wallet with insurance card and some cash
    -black VERY comfy pants (high waisted, especially if a CS is a possibility)
    -Nursing tanks (2-3)
    -Light sweatshirt (depending on if you get chilly)
    -Flip flops/slippers
    -one NB and one 0-3 sleeper for baby
    THIS!! This is what my bag looks like no matter when i pack it. We live 5 mins from the hospital so going back to get something isn't a big deal at all. Also, since we have two kids at home DH wont be staying overnight or anything with me, he will go home to be with the other kids at night/after school etc. I do like to have my own pillow with me though. 
  • Options
    Pascal86 said:
    I'm a planner so that's why I had everything. I don't have experience with not having a bag. The 3 main things I would want is toiletries, pajamas, and a pillow. The hospital does provide some things.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Options
    @artteacher19 Ehhh I wouldn't categorize my list as all "needs." I definitely could have done away with a lot but didn't want to. I hate staying away from home...Especially in a hospital. Plus I was new to everything too. It is overwhelming at times but I started about now (I'm 6 mos) just to cut down on the rushed feeling I would get closer to time. Anytime I went to the store I'd pick up some here and there just so it wasn't so overwhelming.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs

• Options
    This might not be the right place for it, or maybe it is? 
    Found this cool hack of how to do easy DIY nursing tanks! I will definitely make some! :-)

https://www.babybellykelli.com/diy-nursing-tankcami-in-under-10-mins/

• Options
    Question for all experienced c-section moms: As I may or may not need one, are there specific items that you'd need to consider packing in your bag for a c-section? 

• Options
    doozer1345doozer1345 member
    edited February 2016
    @mumbolino Not specifically for a c section. You'll bleed the same as a natural birth so you'll need pads. Although the hospital usually provides them. I know a lot of people say they don't like the hospital pads but I did. I actually swiped the pack and took them home.

ETA: Maybe loose boy short panties. You want something really loose that doesn't hit your incision.
    Been married since 2009.
    Several MCs