Food Allergy
Options

DD with allergies, new baby on the way

DD2 has a few food allergies.  At 8 weeks her baby acne got much much worse to the point where she was pretty much covered head to toe in bleeding eczema.  Took her to the dermatologist and the family doctor who both just claimed eczema until finally around 10 months she broke out in hives when I gave her cheese. We got her tested at 1 and that's when all of her allergies showed up.  I'm pregnant again and wondering how early I can get this one tested for allergies.  I plan on breastfeeding and will cut out food as necessary but would rather not have to do that for no reason.  And a few blood tests would be way less painful for the LO than the eczema pain that DD2 endured.   
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                         Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: DD with allergies, new baby on the way

• Options
    Our pedi sent DD2 for allergy testing at 5 months old. She ordered the testing because of the family history of food allergies and DD2's eczema and MSPI.

Unfortunately, the younger the child is, the less accurate the results are. That's why they usually like to wait until the child is one year old. For DD2, her results showed she was allergic to soy and peanuts. Since then, her list of allergies has grown.

I think you'll just have to keep an eye on your new LO and see what the dr advises if he or she does present symptoms.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    We just assumed that DD2 and DD3 had no allergies and proceeded as normal. My DD1 has super high peanut allergy. (We were in the ER Christmas morning even) and my other kids so far have nothing that we've seen. I wouldn't test until over 2 unless there is cause for concern. I"m not sure what my allergist recommends, I can't remember. We had DD1 tested last year at 4 1/2.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I knew pretty much within 2 weeks of DS being born that he too had food allergies. He got the red rash around his mouth immediately after nursing, he had horrible, bleeding diaper rash, screamed for what seemed like hours and spit up or pooped or both after every eating. I brought him to DD's allergist and she put him on Elecare based on the similarity in symptoms to DD's milk protein allergy. I think she did the skin/patch test around 6 mo (when we would be starting solids) and he tested positive for milk, strawberries, oats. The oats made sense b/c he was having issues using the Aveeno shampoo/bodywash.  Just use your momma gut. If you sense things are not right, you're probably right.
    imageimage
  • Options
    My oldest has tree nut allergies and his allergist didn't recommend testing my daughter unless she showed some sign of an allergy.  With my son, he had signs of having an allergy (excema, random vomiting, etc) but we didn't know about his allergy until he was 3.  My daughter is almost 3 and has shown no signs.

photo 2c2eea5b-cb3d-4ba5-8e22-39fd2841956b_zps4ux1rnnr.jpg

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    My DD2 has several food allergies.  We haven't allergy tested her, but will when she is older and it can be a bit more accurate.  With future babies I will proceed as normal and if the baby shows signs of an intolerance or allergy I will do strict Autoimmune Protocol to identify the triggers, just like I did for DD2.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.