Pregnant after 35
Options

Hot Tea?? Herbal??

So the last 2 times I have been at the Dr. I was going to ask but have forgot. I have looked online and some say that some herbal teas are ok and some are not. Now that it is cold I really want something! All 3 of my other babies were born before winter, so I did not give it any thought. Is anyone drinking hot tea and if so what are you drinking??

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Hot Tea?? Herbal??

• Options
    I've found herbal teas during pregnancy to be a minefield.  What one website says is OK, another says is dangerous.  I've experimented with peppermint tea, rooibos, and lemon + ginger tea.  The first two didn't sit right with me.  Lemon and ginger works fine.  I also realized it's important to read the ingredients carefully because many teas are blends that include things to be avoided.

It's a bit challenging for me, but I try to avoid hot drinks altogether and have the occasional hot chocolate or decaf coffee.  Decaf black tea works occasionally too.
  • Options
    Yea @NeonNoon you are right with the minefield statement! I love Chamomile tea, but is sounds like it is a no go. I keep looking at the store and just don't know what to get! Or if I should just stay away from it all. Ugh! I really what some! Lol!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, some have things to be avoided? Minefield? Crap! I just had a chai tea the other day, I hope I didn't harm LO.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I read the same things but haven't worried about it too much. Mostly I've been drinking decaf black teas - because that's what I most like - and when I drink herbal I've mostly stuck to types that are food I'd eat anyway, like ginger, mint, etc. I've also drunk a fair amount of rooibos, which seems fine. There are definitely some herbs to stay away from but these tend to be the more purely medicinal ones, which I would research more before using, especially in any quantity.

I had sort of forgotten about red raspberry leaf, thanks @hikerlady‌ ! That's one to avoid in the first trimester though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Also @supersarah77‌ I've been drinking decaf Chai almost every day lately and can't imagine what could be harmful unless you had some unusual type - typically it's just black tea with spices like cinnamon, black pepper, cloves, etc. If pumpkin pie is safe, I think you're fine with Chai!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for some idea's of what to get!! If I make it out today I think I will look again :) Still want to ask my Dr. about a couple, but maybe I will just look for some plain decaf black tea for now.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Fruit teas are a safe alternative and there are plenty of combinations out there with winter warming in mind. Apple and Cinnamon springs to mind, and Bengal Spice. Both great for staving off sore throats.

On another note, I was told to stay away from any Raspberry leaf tea until the final month of pregnancy, as many women drank it in days gone by to trigger abortion in early pregnancy and others to trigger labour in late pregnancy. It causes very powerful uterine contractions.
  • Options

@Tsuga76 and @supersarah77 I read on the Livestrong site that "A woman carrying a high-risk pregnancy may be at a greater risk of experiencing preterm labor after exposure to anise seed," which is an ingredient in some chai teas (https://www.livestrong.com/article/186854-chai-tea-pregnancy/). I can't imagine it's a serious concern for low-risk pregnancies (and it may not be a serious concern at all for that matter), but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.

I've been drinking quite a bit of rooibos, which I *think* is meant to be okay. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know!

Me: 35, He: 41. Baby #1!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Yes, I'm a huge hot tea drinker, cold weather or not (guess I'm English at heart haha). Drank decaf black tea all through both pregnancies. The onky herbal tea I personally like is peppermint and I drank it when I had tummy troubles, indigestion etc caused by pregnancy.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    My doctor said any herbal teas are fine to drink during pregnancy
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love nature's medicine teas! Been drinking them for years, they even have a lactating mothers tea I look forward to trying :)
  • Options
    Do you like the flavor of ginger? You could make your own tea with a couple slices of fresh ginger, boiling water, a squeeze of lemon and a little local honey. It's good for digestion and the antibodies in the honey are good for you. Lately I've just been having the hot water and ginger because I'm lazy and don't feel like cutting a lemon :) but I love ginger. No harm in those ingredients.
    Me 42, DH 33, TTC for about a year naturally (but no protection for 4 yrs). Together 6 yrs, married June 2014.
    CD 3, FSH of 15, E2 67, AMH 0.43, LH 6.2, normal HSG test
    DH good count but low volume, 87% motility, 1% morphology
    IUI#1 - Nov 2014, 100 mg clomid and HCG, 2 large follies 20 & 16mm (7 follies total). BFN
    IVF# 1 Jan 2014, 225 Gonal F, 225 Menopur, Ganirelix, 4R/3M/1F w/ICSI - PUPO!

• Options
    vballbaby said:
    Do you like the flavor of ginger? You could make your own tea with a couple slices of fresh ginger, boiling water, a squeeze of lemon and a little local honey. It's good for digestion and the antibodies in the honey are good for you. Lately I've just been having the hot water and ginger because I'm lazy and don't feel like cutting a lemon :) but I love ginger. No harm in those ingredients.
    ...no harm in those ingredients...based on the quantity. I've heard ginger tea is a home remedy for causing m/c! I don't know the recipe but I'm guessing it's high quantities of ginger. 

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/herbs-and-pregnancy/

"This is a prime example of how the method of use of the herb changes its safety rating. We know that rosemary sprinkled in your tomato sauce is not a risk to you and your baby. If you were to use rosemary in a large dose, however, like that used in medicinal amounts, it could be dangerous for your pregnancy. The same goes for herbs such as garlic, sage, ginger, and tumeric. All of these herbs could be contraindicated in pregnancy when used in large or concentrated doses, but are considered safe when used in amounts found in food. "

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"