January 2015 Moms
Options

Fetal Cell DNA blood test? Anybody? UPDATE!

iheartichiiheartichi member
edited September 2014 in January 2015 Moms
I've read thru the other posts to try not to duplicate a question, but I'm freaking out. Anybody have any experience with a fetal cell DNA test? We had an anatomy scan last Friday, everything was great except a soft marker, a shortened humerus. That upped our chances from 1 in 284 ( I'm 32) to 1 in 100 for having a baby with Downs. This thought has consumed my brain and I'm terrified. The geneticist suggested an amino or this new test, the fetal cell, which they take my blood and take 9 million chromosome samples to test. Apparently the results are 99.7% accurate. I've never he heard of it. Could use some positive thoughts and prayers if anybody's got a sec. We get results oin a week.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fetal Cell DNA blood test? Anybody? UPDATE!

• Options
    I had the MaterniT21 test, which I understand is one of the brand names for the fetal cell DNA test. I am over 35 so my insurance covered it straight off the bat and I had it instead of the nuchal test. It was pretty painless (they drew two large vials of blood), and with no risk to the baby. I'm sure you know the statistics for amnios; some studies put them at about your Downs risk right now. I guess I'd do the fetal cell test, but this is your body and your decision! Get all the advice you want and then follow your instincts.

Best of luck with all of it!
  • Options
    It's simply a blood test like the pp mentioned.  Nothing invasive or dangerous at all. There are multiple names for it (brand names, that is). Panorama, Harmony, MaterniT21, etc.  But they are all basically the same and they are all just blood tests. Easy peasy!

I had one done just after 10w that came back inconclusive :(  But I'm AMA so it was offered and covered by insurance as well (not necessarily covered due to being AMA but my insurance did covered it).
    DS #1  2/2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hope you get reassuring results. It sounds like the odds are very much in your favor- a 99% chance that your baby does not have a chromosome problem.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • Options
    Ok thanks! So it is the same as harmony or materni21. I saw moms posting about those but wasn't sure. We actually went ahead and got the blood drawn so we'll get the results in a week or so. We've just had a hard time and would LOVE some good news so we can actually be excited for once. Had 2 mc's last year, but I'm so glad to have joined where I can see such positive stories from others!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I got the free cell DNA test done (blood test) last Wednesday. The genetic counselor told me they would contact me with the results in 2 weeks. It was recommended by her that I get this test as opposed to the quad screen because it has less false positives. I had the triple screen ( now the quad screen) done when pregnant with my son years ago. From what I was old it checks DNA strands that are in moms blood that are released from the placenta, they are no longer in cell form. The test checks for gene mutations and extra chromosomes of gene 21, 13 and 18. My baby has an SUA and because of that the genetic counselor recommended the test, I actually didn't want to get it done, because I'm worried about false positives and stress caused because of that, but after research and speaking to my dr we went ahead and had it done.

Good luck!

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    I had the mat21 after they found a ICf and it came back with possible Turners syndrome. I finally saw the results myself with the High risk doctor and it seems rather inconclusive. They say that it is very accurate for the three main trisomys. I hope it's good news for you!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Good luck, @iheartichi‌ !! I had the mat21 done last Weds and they contacted me yesterday with the results. I hope you get good news so you can enjoy your pregnancy. Keep us posted.

• Options
    Thank you all so much for your info and good thoughts! I'm learning so much being on here and I really do appreciate it. I know we'll get through whatever we're given, but it will sure change everything if we get a positive result.

Ps. What is AMA and SUA? I'm trying to learn all these acronyms....isn't there a post on here somewhere that explains it all?

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

SUA is Single Umbilical Artery. Most of the time when the placenta, baby and umbilical cord form there are 3 vessels in the Umbilical cord. 2 veins that remove waste and blood from baby to placenta, and 1 artery which delivers blood, oxygen and nutrition to the baby. When a baby is diagnosed with SUA, they have 2 vessel umbilical cord. 1 vein and 1 artery. It increases the risk for congenital defects and chromosome defects ( not always, but in some pregnancies ), kidney and heart issues, and lastly IUGR; Inter Uterine Growth Restriction. Which is when the baby will begin to stop growing, or grow slower, or the placenta can stop delivering to or receiving from the baby. 1 in 500 - 1,000 babies are born with SUA. Increased chance of it happening are if you are of older age, have had more then 3 children, if pregnancy is a multiple pregnancy ( twins, triplets ect.)

My baby was diagnosed with SUA 3 weeks ago. I just had my second scan to check her heart and all seems good. Waiting for the results from the cell free DNA test still, to check for issues that are associated with SUA.  4 weeks ago I never heard of SUA, so I am still learning about it. I do not know what AMA is, maybe someone else can explain that.

Good Luck! :) 

• Options

I believe AMA is Advanced Maternal Age? I could be wrong though.

• Options
    Thanks so much! That explains a lot. We should be getting our results back on Monday the 22nd. I wish you the best if luck with yours!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Wow that's great news!!!! I'm so happy for you :)

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    Wonderful!!

• Options
    great news! congrats!
  • Options
    What a relief!
  • Options

Thank goodness. I have kept checking for your update today. Seems since joining the group, you worry about your own pregnancy, but now you care about all the women and their LO's and how everyone is doing and anxiously wait on their results and updates

Congrats the test came back negative. Now you don't have to be stressing out about that, but by no means stress-free lol comes along with the parenting territory. My free cell fetal DNA test results come back on the 27th. Blood was taken on the 12th seems to be taking forever.

• Options
    That's so true about caring about everyone else's LOs along with your own! And it's also comforting to know you're not the only one going thru these strange things. I'll be looking for your update too, 27th is not too far away, but I know it seems like forever. Good vibes being sent your way!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Got my results back today...

Negative for gene mutations and extra chromosomes on chromosome tri 13 and 18, and negative chromosome 21. And the test also verified 100% it is a .... girl. :)

Feeling a lot better now that all my results are back.

• Options
    That is such great news!! :D and also you got your results back early! That relief is an amazing feeling and I'm glad you're feeling it, too. And hooray for a little girl! We're finding out Saturday what the gender is, can not wait, now that we can actually enjoy it. Congrats!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    They thought my baby had triploidy....had the free cell the harmony and an amnio done...everything turned up fine:) so this post hit close to home....glad your baby.girl is ok!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"