1st Trimester
Options

Too early to share pregnancy news: what do I tell people for why I'm not drinking!!??

2»

Re: Too early to share pregnancy news: what do I tell people for why I'm not drinking!!??

• Options
    I just said I was getting over being sick and didn't feel like drinking. Our group, including family usually drink wine with dinner or a drink before dinner but no one questioned it at all. I was banking on people understanding wanting to get fully better before imbibing and it worked.

Once I'm fully over this virus and cough I plan on using the excuse that H and I are taking turns and he's been the DD for a while now and it's my turn. 
  • Options
    I used sparkling cranberry/grape juice and it looked legit and the other girls in my family even wanted some they thought it looked delicious!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The weekend before my BFP we went out with my boss & his wife & drank a fair amount (we are pretty good friends).  That Wednesday I had a positive test & the following Friday night we had our office Christmas party at my boss's house.  My husband & I started out the night with water & my boss immediately asked me if I was pregnant!  We of course told him no, that we were thirsty from working around the house all day (which was true).  He insisted on getting me a beer which I had to pretend to drink & had my husband sneak gulps out of at every opportunity.  When we sat down for dinner everyone had a glass of red wine at their seat.  I didn't drink mine saying that I didn't want to mix beer & wine.  Later in the night my boss asked me again if I was pregnant.  How awkward! 

We had a New Year's Eve party with a bunch of my husband's friends and a surprise 40th birthday party for my boss since then.  Those nights were easier because I was able to ask the bartender to serve me Sprite, in a cocktail glass, with a lime (looks like a Vodka/tonic).
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I used the good old "My doctor's got me doing this weird diet" or "My doctor recommended that I not <do this activity>" excuse for EVERYTHING.  95% of people thought my doctor was a jerk, 5% figured it out, not bad if you ask me :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    2nd pregnancy, only 4 weeks... I'm in the same boat - except I'm the guest of HONOR at an upcoming happy hour - DOH! 

Will do the Sprite/Tonic/lime which I did last pregnancy too. 

I'm just going to try and pass the "30 Day January Cleanse" off as my excuse... no one will buy it. Oh well! 
  • Options
    My bday is Christmas Eve. My last period was November 20th. It was my21st bday that just passed so my cousin bought over our favorite wine cooler. I stated I wasn't feeling well and had a headache and just wanted cake my mothers response was "you better not be pregnant" I just lost my baby October 12th. And I had a BFN the 26 of December. Last Wednesday I got a BFP in the doctors office.
  • Options

I've done the sprite with lime trick to fool some people into thinking it was vodka (so that works well). You don't have to tell them what you're drinking, just walk around with it (that way you're note lying). Or you could just say you're the DD and you're letting the hubby have the fun. Most people won't think twice about it :)

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Could try the dry-athlon excuse.  We do a dry-athlon (no drinking) every Jan.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You could also try something like "For a new year's resolution, I'm going a month (or 2, etc) w/o alcohol. 
    You could also say you're trying to conceive and alcohol is bad for fertility. I cut way back on drinking while TTC for that reason. 
  • Options
    I think it is rude of people to ask. It is none of anyone's business. I had a friend ask and she said are you not drinking because you are with child? I laughed it off and said exactly. She still thinks I was joking.

BabyFruit Tickerimage

• Options
    I'm so glad you asked this question because I am in the same boat.
    BabyFetus Ticker

image image
  • Options
    Despite our old standby ("We're on the five year plan") and our steadfast refusal to entertain baby making talk, my family has been relentless. I went to the bathroom after a dinner out the other night and my husband told me later in the car that my mother and aunt were seriously discussing my potential pregnancy. Super Bowl was worse, watching me like a hawk. I ended up having to take fake sips of margarita and grabbed the same brand of beer as my husband so he could drink for me. It was actually kind of fun. I upped the ante by leaving several tampon sleeves in their bathroom trash. Hilarious.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    You can try a just getting ginger ale and pretending its a mixed drink.  I did fake rum & coke with just coke & a lime at my company christmas party. Also, if you are you house FRE makes an alcohol removed wine.  I bought a white & red and had this over the holidays when everyone else was drinking their wine.  No one noticed, untill I was ready to share my news.

• Options
    I totally agree with the poster who talked about going to the restaurant early and talking to the server!  I did this recently.

My family and friends are totally the type that would question if I wasnt drinking with everyone else (LOL partially because my husband and I are life of the party types).

Last weekend while we were out, my husband actually went up to the bar instead of us ordering from a server.  He got a whiskey and coke and got me a plain coke (its ok to have one or 2)  I nursed it for a while.

I also went early to a restaurant once and told the waitress the situation .  I asked her to just bring me a club soda when we ordered.  Everyone assumed I was drinking. 

I also am well known for my heartburn.  So I used that as an excuse saying I was having a bad heartburn day and didnt want to upset it more
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Options
    I drink water with mio in it, but pretend its vodka, water and mio...no one has said a word thus far!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"