July 2013 Moms
Options

Is this normal? Pumping Q

Hi ladies, since DD was born I haven't been bumping as much. Congrats to all the new Mommas, and hang in there to all of the overdue Mommas!

I posted this on the BF board, but figured I'd post it here too...

Hi ladies, my DD is 12 days old and latches and eats like a champ. I have been trying to start pumping periodically to start a freezer supply, but I can pump with my Avent Double electric BP for an hour to an hour and a half and barely get an ounce and a half to two ounces... Is this normal? It seems like it takes forever to get so little.

DD was 9lbs 4oz at birth and has steadily been gaining weight, so I know she is eating plenty. She typically nurses for 15 to 20 min on each side and seems to fully drain me.

Just wondering if I start pumping more often if I will get more? Any tips or tricks for pumping to get maximum results? TIA!

Re: Is this normal? Pumping Q

• Options
    Between one and three ounces per session is totally normal, especially when baby's belly is so little and your body hasn't adjusted to the pump. If you haven't, check out the Kellymom page on pumping:

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/whattoexpectwhenpumping/
    Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageGuillerma:
    Between one and three ounces per session is totally normal, especially when baby's belly is so little and your body hasn't adjusted to the pump. If you haven't, check out the Kellymom page on pumping:

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/whattoexpectwhenpumping/

Ugh. Mobile ate my link. There should be dashes in between all the words, or just google Kellymom pumping.
    Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Totally normal amount for that age and even better if you are getting that much after LO feeds.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    With DS, I never felt like the pump was as efficient as him nursing. I would pump for a longer time period than he would normally nurse, and when milk stopped expressing, my breast didn't feel as depleted as it did after he nursed. I never really trouble shooted it though except to read that what was happening wasn't totally abnormal as I really only needed a small supply in the freezer though.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickersimage
  • Options
    Sounds like the right amount for a 12 day old baby, remember thier tummies are still very tiny at this age. Also a baby removes milk from the breast much more effeciently than a pump. She will go through several growth spurts (2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks is average) where you will experience more frequent nursing, and that is her building up your supply to her demand. When you are away from her at work and pumping to replace feeds you will get more then. I am trying to build a little stash too, and I always find I pump more in the mornings. Also try doing breast compressions when you pump to get more. Kellymom.com has great info on all of this.
    image image image

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Totally normal. It worried me, too, last time around because everyone here was talking about stockpiling breastmilk for back to work. I just had a frequent eater, and so didn't have much extra to pump. Once  I was pumping at work, and more accustomed to the pump, I had plenty to feed him (though not much extra).
  • Options
    I don't think that is enough milk for pumping for an hour that is way too long of a time. You night not be letting down. I would definitely do some research.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"