Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Hitting

My son is 15 months so cute and super sweet bit when he gets frustrated he hits. Everything, the couch, the dog , me , himself. When I say "no hitting is bad" he laughs! Help please. We have LO 2 arriving in November.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Hitting

• Options
    I say "No hitting" in a firm voice and quickly take him in our time out area and walk away out of site. He is still to young to make him sit there or do a timer... but he usually throws his little fit and comes to find me. When he does I tell him he needs to be nice, we do not hit. He gives me a kiss and it is over. He only hits on occasion now. Sometimes he doesn't cry much but will go off to play with a toy, as long as he is nice and changes his mood I am fine with that. I think the key for it to work for us was for me to walk away and not be around him, if I return and he hits again... I place him back, say no hitting and walk away again. He gets it now.
  • Options
    imagechicsahm:
    I say "No hitting" in a firm voice and quickly take him in our time out area and walk away out of site. He is still to young to make him sit there or do a timer... but he usually throws his little fit and comes to find me. When he does I tell him he needs to be nice, we do not hit. He gives me a kiss and it is over. He only hits on occasion now. Sometimes he doesn't cry much but will go off to play with a toy, as long as he is nice and changes his mood I am fine with that. I think the key for it to work for us was for me to walk away and not be around him, if I return and he hits again... I place him back, say no hitting and walk away again. He gets it now.

This is exactly what we do too. Started around the time she turned 1 and it hasworked well
    eliza bopple
    Eliza born 1-25-12
    Baby 2 EDD 7-18-14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageLalaMama81:
    We do "gentle hands" instead of no hitting. So if she hits or uses her hands unkindly (too rough, pulling hair, etc) we say, "Gentle touch," and touch our hands gently on her face/cheek. She mimics it back to us and it has actually become her way to say she's sorry as well. 

Mine he has to give me a kiss. lately he will hit and then immediately will go in for the kiss. I don't know If he lacks impulse and feels sorry right away, If he wants to kiss to avoid the "time out" or he just think that he should hit and kiss......

I hope he grows out of this one quick

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLalaMama81:
    We do "gentle hands" instead of no hitting. So if she hits or uses her hands unkindly too rough, pulling hair, etc we say, "Gentle touch," and touch our hands gently on her face/cheek. She mimics it back to us and it has actually become her way to say she's story as well.nbsp;

This. Except sorry and gentle come in the form of a hug.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageLalaMama81:
    We do "gentle hands" instead of no hitting. So if she hits or uses her hands unkindly (too rough, pulling hair, etc) we say, "Gentle touch," and touch our hands gently on her face/cheek. She mimics it back to us and it has actually become her way to say she's sorry as well. 

We do this... I wish I could say it is working but he really only started a week ago.  I feel like he is still learning how to control his arms and sometimes he hits pretty hard.  We are working on gentle touch.

I am also due is November so at least I am grateful that we are dealing with this now! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"