March 2012 Moms
Options

Early risers

Has anyone successfully gotten an early riser to sleep a little later?

DS used to sleep until 7:30 or 8 on days that I didn't work, including weekends.  I work 2-3 days a week and on those days I have to wake him up at 6 so we can be out the door on time.  In the last couple of weeks, he has been waking up earlier and earlier, to the point that he's now waking up between 6 and 6:30 every day.  I know he's still tired and he's been cranky during the stretch from waking up to his first nap (I actually put him down a half hour early yesterday because he was so tired, whiny, cranky, etc.) but when he first wakes up in the morning he's wide awake, happy and has no interest in going back to sleep.  We co-sleep for part of the night, so he's in our bed in the morning, therefore it's not really an option to just let him play in his crib (and putting in his crib to play just results in screaming).

He takes 2 naps during the day and they are an hour to an hour and a half each (so he gets 2 1/2 to 3 hours of sleep during the day) and typically goes to sleep around 8:30.  Last night, as an experiment, I tried putting him to bed a little later but he still was wide awake at 6:15.

Any suggestions? 

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
52 books in 2015?           
image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   

Re: Early risers

• Options
    WipzWipz member
    Usually if my guy wakes early it's because he wants a drink.. so I keep a bottle of water beside the bed.  He will usually drink a few ounces and roll over and go back to sleep.

This morning however he decided he wasn't needing any more sleep... unlike mommy... so we ended up getting up and making breakfast for him and when daddy came home about half hour later we all went out for breakfast. 

• Options
    DS always wakes up around 6 also, I don't really mind. I don't think there is much you can do to get him to sleep in later, especially if he is in your bed in the morning.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    eyenigheyenigh member
    For us, the later he goes to bed, the earlier he wakes up in the morning-- unless he's sick. I try to keep him very active during the day so he sleeps hard at night, which is usually pretty successful as long as he goes to bed at a consistent time. 

• Options
    The later DS goes to bed, the earlier he wakes up. I know it seems counter intuitive, but it is absolutely 100% consistent with him. So, all I can suggest is an earlier bedtime. GL!
  • Options

Thanks all!  Guess we'll keep his bedtime at 8-8:30 and buy extra coffee Stick out tongue  We're going to work on moving him from our bed to his crib over the summer (DH and I are both teachers so we'll be off and rough nights won't be as much of a problem for us) and will probably consolidate down to one nap then as well.

Wipz, I'll try offering water too, maybe he's just thirsty!  He does usually down a pretty good amount of water between when he wakes up and when he eats breakfast, so it's possible.  Or wishful thinking.  But it can't hurt! 

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    52 books in 2015?           
  • Options
    DS went through a phase a couple months ago where he was up by 5:30am every single day, with 5am being his normal wake up time. Nothing I did changed anything and this went on for at least 3 months. Later bedtime, earlier bedtime, not letting him nap too late. Nothing helped. One day he miraculously starting sleeping past 6am, so I no longer consider 6am "early" lol. Some kids are just earlier risers, and it sucks!
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.. he napped really well during the day, just woke up super early.  But the last couple of days he's been back to sleeping normally (slept until 7:15 this morning.. it was lovely!) so I'm hoping it was just a weird phase.  Fingers crossed!
    52 books in 2015?           
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"