Adoption
Options

Need advice - adoption baby gear

Garage sale time of year is here and I want to take advantage of deals, but don't really know what I should be picking up! Any advice on what to find used or to avoid looking for at these sales?  I don't want to go overboard on getting clothes and such yet, since I have no idea what size to get, but I thought I could look for some of the other basics - stroller, bouncer, monitor, etc. 

Was there anything you wished you had bought ahead of time, or anything that is great to pick up used instead of paying full price new?

TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need advice - adoption baby gear

• Options
    Great question, I was wondering that too. I would love to get some garage sale deals, but being first time parents we have NO idea what to buy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    After 2 years of IF workups/treatments and 2 IUIs, we have closed the door on fertility treatments.
    We are very excited to be pursuing international adoption from China!
    6000 miles and a day
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We adopted a toddler so the baby gear stuff didn't really apply to us, but I have an in-home daycare so I definitely have advice!

- swing. I think this is a must have for an infant under 6 months. 

- bouncer/exersaucer. This is a must

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
    SA February 2011: Normal
    RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
    Court trip October 2012
    Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
    Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejustjinny:

Garage sale time of year is here and I want to take advantage of deals, but don't really know what I should be pick

I used to go by another name on here, but got a new computer and forgot my login information. I have been an active member on the TTC boards then moved to TTTC, then moved to the Infertility board, and now I am at the Adoption board. Crazy how life does not turn out how you expect it. I never thought I would join 4 different boards on The Bump before becoming a Mother! My husband I are pursing Domestic Newborn Adoption. Later in life we will attempt IVF again. We needed a mental break, but adoption is not much easier! The wait is very hard. We signed with our agency and then became home study approved in February of 2013. We are hoping to be matched soon!
  • Options
    Stay away from car seats. Otherwise, I think a bouncer and a swing are good to have and not pay full price. A pack play is also very handy.
    ***************************** Our beautiful daughter was born in October 2009. Turns out she was quite the miracle. After two years of TTC, diagnosed with DOR. A couple of failed treatment cycles later, we decided to let go of our hope for more biological children and explore adoption.
  • Options
    I'd also beware of cribs as there have been a lot of recalls recently. Do your homework before you buy a used one.
    ***************************** Our beautiful daughter was born in October 2009. Turns out she was quite the miracle. After two years of TTC, diagnosed with DOR. A couple of failed treatment cycles later, we decided to let go of our hope for more biological children and explore adoption.
  • Options
    IRRIRR member
    We didn't go to any garage sales, just family members who are through with their baby stuff.  I have a glider, swing, and baby monitor. I have on hold for us a pack and play, baby jogger and bassinet.  I would not take the bath tub since it was

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Options

I'd have the CPSC recall list on your phone ready to look at when you visit sales, just to make sure that great deal on the crib or stroller isn't because it's been recalled.

I'd avoid anything with a lot of cloth/plush, as I believe a lot of peo

• Options
    I second being cautious of garage sale/craigslist car seats, mattresses, pack and plays, stuffed animals, plush furniture.

Best garage sale things: books, plastic toys, strollers, baby carrier, furniture wooden

Used from friends
    Adoption Blog Updated 2/15
  • Options

Do not buy a used crib mattress or car seat. Safety and peace of mind make it worth it to buy new.  If you are getting either of those two items from a close friend or family, that is one thing, but I would absolutely not get either at a garage sa

Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice!  I just feel a bit overwhelmed with all the baby stuff out there and how much it costs new.  This is good to know what's ok to look for at sales this spring. I don't think I'll be getting a baby shower to help ou
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"