Breastfeeding
Options

Lightning bolt pain in breast

For the past week and a half, I have been getting these sporatic pain in my breasts. Like a lightning bolt, and it will last a few seconds. It REALLY hurts. It has only been one or the other, never both, and usually occurs after nursing.  I Googled some symptoms, and it seems similar to Thrush? But my nipples aren't sore, and look fine.....

Anyone ever had this? If so, what did you do? I called my doc last week about it and he said give it another week or so and take some IBuprophen, and if it still persists, then call him back.....

TIA

I hurt.

Re: Lightning bolt pain in breast

• Options
    I had that happen too. I was checked for thrush and it wasn't it. My doctor said that it can sometimes happen in women with large breasts (not sure if that fits for you). It did eventually go away. I know that's not super helpful but at least it won't last forever.
  • Options
    Clogged duct? If it's thrush you want to get ahead of it as yeast takes forever to get rid of. To be safe if sterilize your pump, pacifiers, etc or it can keep coming back. Try a probiotic to flush out your system too. I had it for almost ten weeks it's brutal. Hope it's not that!! Did u try heat packs or warm bath with Epsom salt? Might help if it's a clogged duct or something irritated in there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. Its def not a clogged duct. (I've had quite a few). The more I read about thrush, I have a feeling it might be that.....which sucks. I've done Iburprophen and nothing else so far. Many sites say to get the same kind of cream that you would use for a vaginal yeast infection and apply to the effected breast......which seems very weird to me. At this point though, I'm willing to try anything as its extremely painful.
  • Options
    I've had that before and I used bag balm (used for cows udders, you can find it at feed stores) it went away within 2 days . Bag balm is supposed to be edible but I still washed it off with warm water before I nursed to be on the safe side
  • Options
    I had the same pain and thought it was Thrush. We saw my Dr and the Pedi and they said it wasn't. My Dr said some women just experience random pains like that. Mine went away after a few days. Then about 2 weeks later it is happening again? It really hurts, toe curling pain.
    BFP 10/31/12, MC 11/9/12 - We had to say goodbye before we could really say hello. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker