October 2011 Moms
Options

Do you dog park?

I used to go to the dog park all the time(daily)with Penny.  I had a bad freak accident a couple years ago where a dog ran into the back of my legs full force and I was knocked down hard landing on my upper back and head.  I ended up getting a concussion.  

I have avoided the dog park since, even though my kids and dog love it.  Would you be comfortable taking your kids back there? 

The dogs are all well behaved, it was really a freak accident and I was not paying attention.  Violet loves dogs and I think she would get a kick out going in the spring.  (I used to take A when she was 2 with no problems)

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg

Re: Do you dog park?

• Options

We don't currently live somewhere with a dog park, but when we did, our dogs loved it.  I agree that some owners are very negligent and the city that we lived in actually had rules that prevented children under 12 inside the park.  

We never took kids, but it might make me a little uncomfortable. 

• Options

imagePackerfan79:
    I think most dog parks are terrible. I have seen soooo many animals come in because of injuries they have sustained there. Either from fights or from hurting themselves in play. Some owners are really negligent and let their dogs just do whatever they want without watching them at all. I will take LO to watch maybe outside the gate but not in until they are older. Eta: I always recc to my patients owners that they not take their puppies to the dog park and if they can to avoid them all together.

Really!  My dog doesn't really interact with the other dogs much, she is a snob.  She loves running through the woods unleashed and getting in the pond.  I have never seen a fight at my dog park but it could happen.  We always went right after school since it was only a block away...we would see the same 5 dogs/ owners every time we went.   Weekends were a big and different though, that is when my accident happened.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm a big fan of dogparks, I am not a big fan of kids and dogparks.

So personally, I wouldn't take Violet and Penny to a dogpark. 

First, I think it's important that owners are responsible about their own dogs. Keeping an eye out for pooping, difficult behavior, etc.  That's harder to do when you have to keep your eye on a toddler too.

Second, not all dogs are good with kids. At the dogpark we went to before LBB was born there was a very sweet afghan hound, Callie.  She was a bit of a humper, but other than that, never involved in any issues.  BUT Callie had major issues with kids.  Her owner wasn't sure why, she was a rescue, so we can only speculate as to her past, but kids made her very very nervous.  Barking, growling, running in circles nervous.  If people brought kids to the dogpark,  Callie would have to leave (which I always feel is a little unfair because it's not like she can go to a regular park and run around unleashed.)

Third, even dogs that are good with kids, may have issues because toddlers are very unpredictable.  Which could be a problem if you're not on top of the situation all the time.  They walk funny, they scream, and all sorts of other stuff that can be unsettling.

Finally, they are more prone to get hurt.  Your freak accident isn't such a freak accident.  Dogs don't look we're they're going, and it's easy to get knocked over.  But you know how to move out of the way and keep an eye out.  Violet won't know that, so there's a good chance she's going to get knocked over too.  And she could get hurt or stepped on after that.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagestardust317:

We don't currently live somewhere with a dog park, but when we did, our dogs loved it.  I agree that some owners are very negligent and the city that we lived in actually had rules that prevented children under 12 inside the park.  

We never took kids, but it might make me a little uncomfortable. 

There are no rules about age.  There are rules about the dogs that can enter:  well socialized, not in heat, up to date on their vacs.

• Options
    I feel bad that Penny won't get to go.  With our schedules there really is no time for either one of us to take her without kids.  I guess we will just have to get the yard fenced.Stick out tongue
  • Options
    We go twice a day, every day. Or ok, 9 out of 10 days. In winter. In summer it is every day. Shadow has been in little fights here and there but nothing serious. I am confident enough about sticking myself in between and breaking it up.

Kids at the park....well. We obviously take the boys too at least for one of those walks a day. However, they do not get out of the stroller. And once that is not feasible, there will be a strict rule of handholding. If that won't work, we'll have to walk Shadow somewhere else.

I see it this way. There are two dog parks in this city and an estimated 1000 parks for kids. 'Nuff said. It's about her and not about them for once.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have taken Cleo and Aggie a few times, but Aggie doesn't seem to enjoy it. All the scents seem to be overstimulating to her and she leaves a drooly hot mess after sitting under my feet for most of the visit.  I wish she liked it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We don't have a dog park in our town, but I do drop our Lab, Phoebe, off to our local doggy daycare when I feel she needs some extra play time and when we go on vacation. She loooooves playing with her friends there, and they have a camera to watch the dogs play.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Options

We used to take our dog to one.  We don't anymore, he has become a bit aggressive in his old age and has started charging people he doesn't know.  He never bears his teeth but it's an aggressive sniff.  We now take him to my parents place where he can run around with my mom's dogs and my dad who is a dog whisperer.

He's mostly a good dog but I wouldn't trust him at a dog park. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSammy-Mae:

We used to take our dog to one.  We don't anymore, he has become a bit aggressive in his old age and has started charging people he doesn't know.  He never bears his teeth but it's an aggressive sniff.  We now take him to my parents place where he can run around with my mom's dogs and my dad who is a dog whisperer.

Can your dog whisperer dad teach me how to train my beagles to go walking? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageStewartandmaura:
    imageSammy-Mae:

Beagles are not trainable.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageNita2603:
    imageStewartandmaura:
    imageSammy-Mae:

Beagles are not trainable.  

YES! They are gremlins!

• Options
    I have two dogs and have never taken them to a dog park mostly because I don't trust other dog owners.  I would never take my toddler to one for that same reason.  In a perfect world a dog park is great for dogs.  But there are too many risks that really don't out weigh the benefit the dogs would have.  They play with each other enough at home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"