March 2013 Moms
Options

Question for second time moms...

Question about bottle sterilizers....

Do I need one?

I registered for one but am now having second thoughts. How often do I even need to sterilize bottles/nipples? Can they go in the dishwasher?

I have no idea what I'm doing here....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question for second time moms...

• Options
    waste of money and space imo. Just boil them before use and wash them really well everyday. Yes bottles and nipples can go on the top rack of the dishwasher. But please make sure you sterilize your bottles, nipples, pacifiers, teethers and breast pump parts before use. Factory chemicals can harm your baby.
  • Options
    Skip the sterilizer. It's completely unnecessary! You basically boil all the bottle components when you first get them and then wash the bottles with good ole soap and water after feedings. The only time I went through the trouble of boiling the bottles after the initial sterilization with my first child was if someone in the family had been sick.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you NEED one? No. Some ladies think they are nice to have. But personally, I always boiled my nipples and stuff. And I did it a couple of times a week. IMO, they get cleaned better when you do it by hand, but they can go in a dishwasher. They make little containers that you can put the stuff in, and then put the container in the dishwasher. I believe Munchkin makes a decent one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Another vote for dishwasher and boil.

.....and skip the wipes warmer, too ;)

imagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had one for DS and used it twice in 3.5 years.  I just gave it away to a FTM friend.  Personally I thought it was a waste.
  • Options

Having a preemie, I used it a lot.  I have a microwave one. 

However, I'll probably use it this time around, too.  I never like how plastics come out in the dishwasher and I've heard that handwashing usually doesn't get hot enough.

I also used it to sterilize pump parts.  It was pretty handy. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagejmayamama:

This.  If you end up formula feeding then I would just buy enough bottles to get you through 2 days of feedings so you can just run them through the dishwasher.  So not worth the hassle in my opinion.   

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    nope.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

EDD 10.26.15

Garrett Samuel 1.30.14
    Vanessa Ruby 2.21.13
    Joseph Michael (born into Heaven) 6.17.10
    Rae Patricia 4.14.07

• Options
    I never need one, always used the dishwasher or by hand. However I invested in one a couple months ago bc of bad storms that were headed our way. You can atleast clean bottles if you have a generator.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Ftm, but I vote no too. We plan to use our sanitize cycle on the dishwasher if we need it.
  • Options
    I have a dishwasher, so I used that for day to day cleaning. Every once in a while I used the microwave steam bags to clean my pump parts. I hate clutter in my kitchen and didn't want another thing taking up space.
  • Options
    imagejmayamama:

This exactly.

• Options
    We don't have a dishwasher and I never felt the H20 got hot enough when washing the bottles by hand, so we used ours every single time after we hand washed the bottles.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just boil them, and you can put somethings in the dishwasher.  I use the bottles with liners, so I have less to sterilize... I would use the money for something else.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"