Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Blocked tear duct

Hi,

My baby is 10 days old and has blocked tear ducts.  Do any of you mamas have experience with this?  How long does it take to go away?  I have been washing his eyes with clean cloths a few times a day, massaging the ducts, and putting breast milk on them.  Any other remedies?  Thanks!! 

Re: Blocked tear duct

• Options
    My little man had it when he was a few days old. It went away in like 2 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD has it in her left eye and has had it since birth, I have been doing the massage and she still has it.  It just gets all goopy.  The Pedi gave a prescrip for some drops but those are mainly to keep infection out, and she hasnt needed them yet.  Does anything happen when you massage the duct?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS had one for about the first three weeks. The pedi gave us an ointment that you have to massage on his eye and it helped a lot.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You are doing all the same things I was told to do, sometimes it just takes time.  DD still gets a little goopy!
    Keep growing preemie ballerina! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    My baby girl had this happen too.  Use a clean wash cloth with a little warm water and Johnson's baby shampoo and clean it from near the nose to the outside of the eye.  Keep doing what you are doing with massaging the tear duct, too.  It does go away after a bit.  My family doc told me about using the baby shampoo (you just need to run your finger across the top of the lid, using very little) to help keep the area clean. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Today is always fresh, with no mistakes in it--Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"