Breastfeeding
Options

Time between feedings

How old were your babies when they started to go longer between feedings?  My DD is 7 weeks old and nurses every 2 hours during the day.  She might stretch to 3-3.5 hours if she is in her sleeping in her car seat and we are out running errands.  During the night she goes every 3 hours like clockwork, and I have adjusted and become used to it.

However, last night I nursed her at 10pm and then put her to bed.  She didn't wake up and cry to nurse in her normal pattern.  Finally at 3:45am (almost 6 hours later), I heard her gently stirring.  I woke her up and fed her because our pediatrician said to not let her go more than 5 hours between feedings.  When I asked for how long, she had said for a few months.  Has anyone else been told that?  Or is DD transitioning to longer stretches of time?  What is the deal?  TIA!

Re: Time between feedings

• Options
    I haven't been told that. Once she was back up to her birthweight, I fed her every 2-3 hours during the day and then let her sleep as long as she wanted at night. At first she would do a 4 hour and then a 3 hour stretch but it kept getting longer and now she mostly STTN. I think once they're back up to their birthweight it's OK to let them go a little longer.

DD Born 5.9.12

MC March 2016@8.5w

Expecting #2 4/30/17

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

imagedam0ne4:
    I haven't been told that. Once she was back up to her birthweight, I fed her every 2-3 hours during the day and then let her sleep as long as she wanted at night. At first she would do a 4 hour and then a 3 hour stretch but it kept getting longer and now she mostly STTN. I think once they're back up to their birthweight it's OK to let them go a little longer.

I got the same advice from my LC.  Once he was back to birthweight I could let him STTN, which he started doing well after birthweight anyway so it wasn't really an issue.  During the day he goes about 2 hours and then at night he will go an initial first stretch of 7-9 hours.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My pediatrician recommended I wake DD every four hours at night until she's eleven lbs., but I just haven't had the heart to do it. I'll let her go for five or six hours because she's sleeping contentedly. She usually goes anywhere from an hour and a half to three hours during the day.

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    At night we could stop waking him once he was a little over his birthweight.  For during the day, he started stretching out his feedings around 4.5/5 months.  But even then he only stretched it to 2.5/3 hours.  Now he's almost 1 and eats about every 3.5/4 hours.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"