August 2011 Moms
Options

mastered sippy cup yet?

Have any of your babies mastered the sippy cup yet. Mine just chews on it! Maybe I'm not giving her enough practice?

Re: mastered sippy cup yet?

• Options

Yes.  I started giving him a sippy around 7/8 months and now he pretty much prefers that over his bottles.

He gets his sippy with every meal and if he gets thirsty during the day he's given a sippy.   

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We started the sippy cup around 5-6 months.  It did take a while for her to get the hang of it, but I think that is because I wasn't offering it to her consistently.  Once I started offering it daily, she caught on.  I also would pretend to drink out of it, and that seemed to get her more interested in using it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

not.even.close

He has always only ever chewed on it.  He gets one with every dinner, and occasionally I just give him one for practice during the day. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LO did the sippy cup, but didn't really like it. I switched to a straw cup, and he LOVES it. It works so much better for us.
  • Options
    We introduced it about 5-6 months old and DD did the same thing. I bought the nuby which is like a bottle nipple and she chewed on for about 2 weeks and then wammo caught on. It is a progress, you may have try a few different kinds, I did.
    Lynette Kaitlyn Jones arrived August 23rd, 2011! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    Mine just learned how to use it within the past few weeks. I was getting frustrated because he wasn't getting it and then all of a sudden one day it just clicked. Now he can drink from the spout kind or the straw ones.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No we offer with meals and snacks but they only drink a little bit.
  • Options
    We have mastered the sippy cup for water but she hates her formula in it and gives us so much trouble to finish the little formula she does take (26oz/day) that we haven't pushed the subject.  I am banking on the hope that she will love WCM and we will transition at that point.  We will see.  I won't freak out if she is taking a bottle at 13 months. 
    3 failed IUIs, 1 successful IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage
  • Options

Yes, and he's even figured out how to unscrew the top of one of them...

I give him water in the sippy at meals. I used to give the one with the straw before he figured out the sippy cup. After a few bites, I would hold the cup for him so he would drink. He finally figured out that he needed to tilt his head back. It took a couple of months.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Yes.  We started giving DD the sippy around 6 months old with every meal, just to get her used to it.  She has been drinking from it efficiently for the past few months.  Just recently, maybe about 3 weeks ago, I started giving her the straw cup.  I had tried it with her several months ago, but she just chewed on it.  Now, she prefers the straw cup and uses it perfectly.  She actually gets a lot more out of it than with the sippy. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    not really :(  I sometimes think he may be sucking on it but then he goes to chewing on it.  He has never emptied it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    LJR 84LJR 84 member
    My ds has. He never took a bottle though...went straight from ebf'ing to sippys!
  • Options
    We started a sippy cup at 7 months-ish. We have let Lincoln sip from a straw since he was able to sit unassisted. He prefers the sippy cups with a straw, so maybe try that. He has no problem drinking from the traditional kind but it is easier for him to get liquid from a straw kind. 
    imageimage
  • Options
    We do the straw sippy. She doesn't do as well with a regular sippy. The straw one leaks more, but I love that she can drink out of a straw. Makes it so nice when we're out to eat to just order her a glass of water with a straw, and not have to worry about making sure I have a sippy cup with.
    nataliepic350 photo nataliepic350.jpg photo 099_zps0c6fc5c8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yes but it took forever!

We introduced the sippy at 5.5 months. After 2 months and 3 or 4 different cups, we gave the straw cup a try and BAM! She figured that out right away. We left it at that for a few months then re-introduced the sippy cup (used the Playtex stage 1) maybe 2 months ago and she quickly figured it out. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    This may be a stupid question but does the straw sippy work like a regular straw? I would be afraid it would shoot to the back of her throat.
  • Options
    Alex is still figuring out how to tip it back. He knows which part goes in his mouth.
  • Options
    imagemananana:

imagebrismom=:
    This may be a stupid question but does the straw sippy work like a regular straw? I would be afraid it would shoot to the back of her throat.

Yes, it works like a straw.  LO would have to suck pretty darn hard to shoot the back of her throat- I'm not even sure how that would be possible actually. 

I just re-read my post. I mean the juice would shoot to the back of her throat not the straw haha. But i think I'm going to try it anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"