August 2011 Moms

mastered sippy cup yet?

Have any of your babies mastered the sippy cup yet. Mine just chews on it! Maybe I'm not giving her enough practice?

Re: mastered sippy cup yet?

• Yes.  I started giving him a sippy around 7/8 months and now he pretty much prefers that over his bottles.

He gets his sippy with every meal and if he gets thirsty during the day he's given a sippy.   

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We started the sippy cup around 5-6 months.  It did take a while for her to get the hang of it, but I think that is because I wasn't offering it to her consistently.  Once I started offering it daily, she caught on.  I also would pretend to drink out of it, and that seemed to get her more interested in using it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • not.even.close

He has always only ever chewed on it.  He gets one with every dinner, and occasionally I just give him one for practice during the day. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • LO did the sippy cup, but didn't really like it. I switched to a straw cup, and he LOVES it. It works so much better for us.
  • We introduced it about 5-6 months old and DD did the same thing. I bought the nuby which is like a bottle nipple and she chewed on for about 2 weeks and then wammo caught on. It is a progress, you may have try a few different kinds, I did.
    Lynette Kaitlyn Jones arrived August 23rd, 2011! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Mine just learned how to use it within the past few weeks. I was getting frustrated because he wasn't getting it and then all of a sudden one day it just clicked. Now he can drink from the spout kind or the straw ones.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No we offer with meals and snacks but they only drink a little bit.
  • We have mastered the sippy cup for water but she hates her formula in it and gives us so much trouble to finish the little formula she does take (26oz/day) that we haven't pushed the subject.  I am banking on the hope that she will love WCM and we will transition at that point.  We will see.  I won't freak out if she is taking a bottle at 13 months. 
    3 failed IUIs, 1 successful IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage
  • Yes, and he's even figured out how to unscrew the top of one of them...

I give him water in the sippy at meals. I used to give the one with the straw before he figured out the sippy cup. After a few bites, I would hold the cup for him so he would drink. He finally figured out that he needed to tilt his head back. It took a couple of months.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes.  We started giving DD the sippy around 6 months old with every meal, just to get her used to it.  She has been drinking from it efficiently for the past few months.  Just recently, maybe about 3 weeks ago, I started giving her the straw cup.  I had tried it with her several months ago, but she just chewed on it.  Now, she prefers the straw cup and uses it perfectly.  She actually gets a lot more out of it than with the sippy. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • not really :(  I sometimes think he may be sucking on it but then he goes to chewing on it.  He has never emptied it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • LJR 84LJR 84 member
    My ds has. He never took a bottle though...went straight from ebf'ing to sippys!
  • We started a sippy cup at 7 months-ish. We have let Lincoln sip from a straw since he was able to sit unassisted. He prefers the sippy cups with a straw, so maybe try that. He has no problem drinking from the traditional kind but it is easier for him to get liquid from a straw kind. 
    imageimage
  • We do the straw sippy. She doesn't do as well with a regular sippy. The straw one leaks more, but I love that she can drink out of a straw. Makes it so nice when we're out to eat to just order her a glass of water with a straw, and not have to worry about making sure I have a sippy cup with.
    nataliepic350 photo nataliepic350.jpg photo 099_zps0c6fc5c8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes but it took forever!

We introduced the sippy at 5.5 months. After 2 months and 3 or 4 different cups, we gave the straw cup a try and BAM! She figured that out right away. We left it at that for a few months then re-introduced the sippy cup (used the Playtex stage 1) maybe 2 months ago and she quickly figured it out. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This may be a stupid question but does the straw sippy work like a regular straw? I would be afraid it would shoot to the back of her throat.
  • Alex is still figuring out how to tip it back. He knows which part goes in his mouth.
  • imagemananana:

imagebrismom=:
    This may be a stupid question but does the straw sippy work like a regular straw? I would be afraid it would shoot to the back of her throat.

Yes, it works like a straw.  LO would have to suck pretty darn hard to shoot the back of her throat- I'm not even sure how that would be possible actually. 

I just re-read my post. I mean the juice would shoot to the back of her throat not the straw haha. But i think I'm going to try it anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"