November 2011 Moms
Options

Would you bring him in?

LO has been congested for a couple days now. But I haven't been too worried about it because he is stuffed up, but not runny nose or fever. Every now and then (maybe 2x a day?) he'll cough, it's like he's trying to get mucus out of his throat. I also heard in his chest when he breathes it sounds kinda "phlegm-y" or something. So I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and if will just get better on it's own or if I should bring him to the Dr. WWYD?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Would you bring him in?

• Options
    Maybe you can call the pedi's office and see what they say.  Ours is pretty good about the nurses giving advice over the phone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My LO had the nose thing for awhile, I took him in after he was coughing along with it for about a week. I'd take him in. My guy was fine but the dr said I did the right thing since he had the cough for a few days. It's good to make sure. Good Luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My son has had a cough like that for a couple weeks now. Every time I brought it up to the pedi, they said he didn't have any fluids in his lungs, he's just coughing. I took him in on Monday because he was having horrible diarrhea. Turns out he has a sinus infection and the stomach flu.

I'd keep a close eye on it, and if you feel it's bad enough to make an appt, do so. 

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagelemonJAM:
    Maybe you can call the pedi's office and see what they say.  Ours is pretty good about the nurses giving advice over the phone.

This. Are you using any saline? That may help things too. DD hasn't been sick yet, *knock on wood*, so I don't have much advice there. I would call the pedi if it gets worse. If he seems happy, I wouldn't worry.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Call the pedi first. I did this just last week and she reassured me and told me to wait for a few days.
  • Options
    I agree with pp's. I would just call and ask; I always get good advice when I call.
  • Options
    If he only coughs twice a day, doesn't have a fever and is doing ok otherwise (eating well & happy), I would just wait it out. There's nothing your pediatrician can really do for a cold. If he looks like he's having trouble breathing, his cough gets worse or he has a fever, I would for sure take him in to get checked out.
  • Options

imagelemonJAM:

Yup, this! Mine had the same thing going on for a couple of weeks. There isn't a whole lot that can be done besides prop up the crib mattress, turn on a humidifier in the room, suction out their nose and let it run it's course. That is if he's only congested. I didn't prop my LO up soon enough and this mess ended up going into an ear infection. GL, I hope feels better soon!

• Options

I agree with everyone else. I've been dealing with runny nose and cough for almost 2 months now.  She's been seen by the pedi for her well visit and he said her lungs were clear so he didn't do anything for it.  Now I've taken her back now that it's been a long time and she is on amoxicillin and will pursue if it continues. 

I would say if it's only been a week or less, I would just do home treatment to relieve symptoms.  I wouldn't take lo in until the symptoms persist for maybe 2 weeks or sooner if a fever develops or lo has trouble breathing, etc.  The typical cold can last for 7-10 days I think.  Sometimes longer.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It could just be allergies, if your worried I would just call the pedi and see if you should bring him in. They prob cant do anything but if you havent already maybe try elevating him when he is sleeping, bring him in shower to breathe steam, try small amount of vicks baby rub on his back may help clear sinuses.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice ladies. I will wait it out alittle more. He only seems uncomfortable around bedtime, the rest of the day he's fine. I'm hesitant to call the pedi because I don't know who to call! We moved a couple months ago and got his 2 month shots right before we left and next week I have an appt with a new dr to get his 4 month shots (we're alittle behind cuz've waiting for our insurance to kick in). So I don't know who to call, the Dr who doesn't know us, or the Dr we don't go to anymore.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

imagepurpleXdandelion:
    Thanks for all the advice ladies. I will wait it out alittle more. He only seems uncomfortable around bedtime, the rest of the day he's fine. I'm hesitant to call the pedi because I don't know who to call! We moved a couple months ago and got his 2 month shots right before we left and next week I have an appt with a new dr to get his 4 month shots (we're alittle behind cuz've waiting for our insurance to kick in). So I don't know who to call, the Dr who doesn't know us, or the Dr we don't go to anymore.

I would call the doctor who doesnt know you yet (just tell them your a new patient and when your appointment is and they should be willing to help you). The way our office works is when I call I ask for a nurse to call me back so you dont actually speak with the doctor... Also not sure who you have for insurance but if its Anthem they have a 24/7 nurse line you can call, maybe call your cust service and ask if this is an option or look at the back of your insurance card there may be a phone number? GL!

• Options

Call Pedi!!  Little j had this about a month ago and he ended up needing breathing treatments.  He was fine just a little cough every now and then.  Check to see if he is flaring his nose when he breaths or if his chest is sucking in like you can see his ribs really bad. 

image image Siggy Challange: Before and After 2 Days old Image and video hosting by TinyPic Almost 9 Months Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"