March 2012 Moms
Options

What are you doing for lower back pain?

I asked for a pre-natal massage for the holidays, but am wondering if any of you ladies have any suggestions in the meantime. My lower back would be achey every once and a while earlier in my pregnancy, but now it's constant and it sucks :(

TIA :) 

*Baby #2*
Due January 25, 2015
Pregnancy Ticker

*George Julius*
March 6, 2012*
6lbs 15oz - 19.5"*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What are you doing for lower back pain?

• Options
    We use little spikey balls in prenatal yoga. Stand up against a wall with the ball between your back and wall and kind of move it around. You could do this with a tennis ball too!
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    Take a gym sock and put tennis balls in it. It makes a nice lumbar support! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have been stretching in the shower. Hot water running makes it easier since I can't "warm up" the muscles by working out like I'm used to.

Evenings when it is really bad I use a heating pad before bed. We also flipped our mattress yesterday which was AMAZING.  

• Options

Laying down when I can and using a heating pad. 

I had a prenatal massage with my last pregnancy and it made the pain far worse that night and for a couple days afterwards.  I guess toxins or something is released from the massage and can cause pain and stiffness, so just beware of that.

• Options

Tai chi!  I started taking a class at the local community center and its really keeping things looser, and I'm more mindful of my muscles and posture.  

About posture: be super careful to keep your butt tucked in when you're standing.  It's so easy to let it sway out because of the extra weight in the front.  If I tuck in my hiney, it gives me immediate relief.  Unless it's really bad- then I hit the heating pad and pout for a bit.  Prenatal massage has helped, too.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Chiropractor - to make sure everything is properly aligned, and exercising - to strengthen lower back muscles. Also pp said it best with watching your posture
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! I've been on pelvic rest for 2 weeks and had to stop exercising so I bet my muscles are weakening and contributing to the overall pain. I do really need to watch my posture too! 
    *Baby #2*
    Due January 25, 2015
    Pregnancy Ticker

*George Julius*
    March 6, 2012*
    6lbs 15oz - 19.5"*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageKatieMarie27:
    Chiropractor - to make sure everything is properly aligned, and exercising - to strengthen lower back muscles. Also pp said it best with watching your posture

What she said! Chiropractors are so awesome and can really help! Plus some of them have the water massage beds so it's a win/win! 

• Options

When I first found out I was pregnant, I had to discontinue the medications I was on for osteoarthritis in my right hip and back, and the only thing that I could do was PT. Now that I am 28 weeks, everything my therapist taught me has begun helping tremendously! I strengthened my abs, which I know are helping my back, with basic ab exercises (which I still try from time to time, though they're much more difficult now). I also do this one thing that helps a great deal:

On your back (propped up w/ pillows or a wedge) bend your knees up, feet flat on the floor. Drop both knees to one side until you feel a stretch and hold for 30 seconds. Alternate for three to six minutes. The stretch really helps me. Though there is still so much pain, I do really feel a difference!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"