Connecticut Babies
Options

baby sleep schedule

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get my 3 month old son to nap during the day.  He usually settles in for the night in his crib by 10-1015 pm wakes once during the night (around 330am) and sleeps again until about 6-630 am.  Then he's up until about 8am when he takes a small nap... then that's usually it unless he does a 10 min snooze. We know this is not enough sleep for because by 630 pm he is a gets very cranky and irritable...Crying

Any ideas would be of  great help....

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: baby sleep schedule

• Options

He's over tired which (as backwards as this sounds) will make him sleep even less and be more cranky. 

Do what you can to get him to sleep for naps.  Have a routine for naps (similar to bedtime routine) and follow it religiously.  My son never needed a schedule but he needed a routine.  Same actions before nap and bed every.single.time. 

He also should be going down earlier at night if he is up for the day at 6am.  My son sleeps from 7:30pm to 6am every day.  8 hrs of sleep is not enought for a 3 month old.  It should be closer to 11 or 12.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers M: 31 DH: 34 Dx: PCOS, Endo, Uterine Septum Ovarian Wedge Resection - May 2009 BFP #1 - October 2009 = DS BFP #2 - June 2011 = DD (Total Surprise!) Tree nut allergy in DS diagnosed 4/2012. Currently working with EI for SPD and possible ASD.
  • Options

thanks! yeah my hubby and I figured he was over tired... and we do try to get him to nap but he just seems to struggle with it for the most part. But we did finally have some success today and he took three 1 -hour naps throughout the day.  Hopefully we'll stay on the same track. Your idea of a routine will probably be helpful with this.

His night routine is the same - bath, he has his bottle, I sometimes read to him if he doesn't seem sleepy enough and then we put him in his crib.  We never have a problem with nite-time snoozing... But he was only waking once but now twice. We'll see if the naps help him sleep better at night.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Having daily routines really does help. Usually babies get into routine of taking a morning nap and then an afternoon nap.   A good book to help you that I recommend is the Baby Whisperer.
  • Options

Sounds familiar! My daughter has a similar schedule... or lack there of! I am now making an effort to get out of the house more during the day because car rides and the stroller help her fall asleep. She was out for a full two hours the other day when we went to the stores and grocery shopping together. She was so much happier at night when we started our bedtime routine.

On the few days that she does nap at home, swaddling is a must.

I hope that helps!

• Options

This does help - my LO has finally started napping during the day. He does a couple small naps and then one long one later in the afternoon.  He is much better at night now... plus he's also ready to sleep for the night at about 9pm (with the exception of getting up once between 2-4am) which is early than his norm.

Swaddling is definitely a must for my son. He startles easly with certain sounds or even just on his own at times and it wakes him up. Swaddling helps him feel more secure I believe.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"