Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Head shaking

Did anyone's LO go through a head shaking phase?  A few days ago DD started kind of tucking her chin and shaking her head no, mostly when she's playing around/being silly.  But DH was saying while I was at work tonight around bedtime she started shaking her head a lot and it kind of freaked him out.  I didn't know if that in any way could be an indicator of a problem?  Obviously we'll call the pedi if it really gets to the point we're concerned (and I have no idea what DH considers a lot), but I thought I'd ask.  We went through this a couple months ago when she would lay on her back and flail her arms and legs, which turned out to be totally normal, but people always feel the need to ask why she's doing things and ask if she's okay.  Then it makes me wonder!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Head shaking

• Options

My DD does this all the time too. She does associate it though with no. Like when we put her to bed she will shake her head no while she is falling asleep because she doesn't want to. Or when she is teething she may touch her face and shake her head no because it hurts.  Maybe that is what your DD is starting to do too. I personally wouldn't worry. If you still find yourself concerned then I would just call the pedi.

• Options
    Matthew shakes his head no all the time. My pedi said to be aware if we say no and shake our head then he may be copying us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is actually normal. DS did it a lot as well. He just thought it was fun. Consider it this way. It's a new skill and they want to use it as much as possible. DD loves to do it. She jiggles her butt, bounces up and down all the while shaking her head no :)
  • Options
    LO loves to do it A LOT. It looks funny. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagejeeanfoxy:
    LO loves to do it A LOT. It looks funny. :)
    DD also does it when we say and shake heads YES. I find it cute!
  • Options
    My DS was doing this for a while about a month or so ago.  I thought it was kinda strange..but didn't think much of it.  We took him to the dr for his well child visit and he had an ear infection.  My mom thought maybe thats why he was doing the head shaking because it stopped after he was on antibiotics.  I'm not sure if that's true or not .. but thought I'd mention it just in case! :)
  • Options
    My LO has been doing this for a while and she usually does it when she's sleepy.
  • Options

imageWildcatPrincess:
    Did anyone's LO go through a head shaking phase?  A few days ago DD started kind of tucking her chin and shaking her head no, mostly when she's playing around/being silly.  But DH was saying while I was at work tonight around bedtime she started shaking her head a lot and it kind of freaked him out.  I didn't know if that in any way could be an indicator of a problem?  Obviously we'll call the pedi if it really gets to the point we're concerned (and I have no idea what DH considers a lot), but I thought I'd ask.  We went through this a couple months ago when she would lay on her back and flail her arms and legs, which turned out to be totally normal, but people always feel the need to ask why she's doing things and ask if she's okay.  Then it makes me wonder!

I thought I was the only one that happened to.  It really gets frustrating. 

• Options

DS does this too. Our pedi said it was normal. She said they have figured out how to manipulate their environment by making themselves dizzy.

You can also google head rolling.

• Options
    Thank you for all the input!  DH is happy to hear other babies do it too (he's way more of a worry wart than I am!)  She has only done it a couple times today and it was while we were playing around being silly, I think she's just messing around.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"