Breastfeeding
Options

exhausted from breast feeding and pumping.

I had baby 9 days ago and started pumping the last few days, but i feel like im completely drained. I have had almost completely fatigue the last two days. Any one have any advice on good food choices and meals?

Re: exhausted from breast feeding and pumping.

• Options

Is there a reason you're pumping so early?  Pumping before you need to and that early can set you up for an oversupply.  Your body is trying to learn how much to make, and by pumping AND bf'ing that early, you are giving it twice the signals.

Unless you have to pump, there really isn't a reason to. 

To answer your question:  a crockpot is your friend.  :)  Can friends/family/husband cook for you?  Your job should be to sit on a couch and bf your baby and someone should be bringing you food (and water!!).  Cleaning, cooking, etc. should be someone else's responsibility right now. 

• Options

I agree w/ pp give the pump a break unless you're EPing. 9 days is still really young and you're likely to be exhausted regardless of what you eat or how you feed LO.

Quick protein foods are good: string cheese, power bars.  Try to get some iron and flax seed as well. Lots of water.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Put the pump away ;-)  Right now you should focus on nursing and resting and enjoying your baby.  No need to pump for several more weeks - then you'll be better rested and nursing will be easier and not so time consuming.

• Options
    Agree w PP.  Don't pump yet!  Drink lots of water, lean on friends & family, & take at least one nap w the baby during the day.

• Options

Hang in there!  I was ravenously hungry for the first few weeks...I ate a lot of almonds, string cheese, yogurt, turkey sandwiches, and granola bars.  I had a snack and a glass of water every time I nursed, even in the middle of the night!  

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    Yes, don't pump so often. I started pumping after every feeding early on and ended up with an over supply, and it sucked. Focus on just BFing now. It will get better!! Take any help you can get.
  • Options
    i was diagnosed with postpartum cardiomyopthy and ended up in the heart unit in tulsa,ok at st fransis hospital! scary and very shocked the day after posting this!!! my heart rate when i went into the ER was 148! thats why i was so tired and exhausted! i wasnt able to breast feed after i was diagnosed. =( the heart medication was bad for the baby so he has been on formula ever since. postpartum cardiomyopthy is heart failure after labor. most women are in their upper 30's or 40's when this happens and i am only 20! it was so shocking and the scariest news a new mother could hear. all research shows most cases heal within 6mths. We are praying my heart will reheal as fast as the studies. thankyou all for your post and support, sorry this is so late!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"