Alabama Babies
Options

Positive Group B Strep and Antibiotics (LONG)

At my app last week, the nurse surprised me by telling me that my Group B Strep test came back positive.  She said that's it's really no big deal and very common in pregnant women.  She said that they will just have to give me antibiotics while I'm in labor to prevent the baby from getting it.  (It can make baby very sick or even die.)  I didn't have this with either of my first 2, so I was just kinda surprised by the news.  Since then, I've been reading alot about it.  It really doesn't seem to be a major issue in itself, but the issues seem to be more with the antibiotics which can cause baby to get thrush from breastfeeding.  Thrush is basically like a yeast infection that the baby gets in their mouth and mother gets on the breasts.  The baby and mother can pass the thrush back and forth between eachother and it can be hard to get rid of. 

This has me a little stressed out.  BFing was so hard for me both previous times.  The thought of having another possible complication on top of an already difficult time really makes me feel like we are doomed from the beginning with BFing.  I know that not all mothers/babies end up with thrush from the antibiotics and maybe we'll be lucky too and not get it.  But, if we do...agh!  I just concerns me big time.

So, I guess I want to know if any of you had a positive Group B Strep test, and, if so, did you deal with thrush issues?  Did you do anything to prevent it or what did you do to get rid of it?

Several people have recommended that I go ahead and take probiotics to counter the effects of the antibiotics when I do get them.  A lady at A Nurturing Moment today recommended a specific probiotic powder that is supposed to be the highest dosage you can buy.  (They don't sell it there so I didn't feel like she was just trying to "sell" me.  Seemed like she was really trying to help and seemed to know what she was talking about.  So, I'm going to look into that.)  She said that just eating yogurt w/probiotics won't do the trick. 

I'm hoping that the probiotics will also help ward off a possible vaginal yeast infection too.  I tend to get those anytime I'm on antibiotics.  Can you IMAGINE dealing with a YI on top of all the other vaginal crap that goes on after giving birth.  Ugh!

Re: Positive Group B Strep and Antibiotics (LONG)

• Options
    I was GBS+, too.  I had a LOT of issues breastfeeding, but thankfully thrush was not one of them and I did not get a YI, either. No one advised me about taking probiotics, and I would just run it by your OB (mainly bc you said it is the highest possible dose). 
  • Options

1) Probiotics are safe during pregnancy (and probably breastfeeding).  My Pedi's nurse recommended them to me (and Avery) when we had a touch of the tummy bug.  I bought Culturelle Probiotics OTC at Target.  (they are spendy though - I think they were around $15?)

2) Antibiotics don't necessarily cause thrush.  I was on heavy antibiotics after my c-section to prevent infection and I didn't have any issues w/ breastfeeding. 

I'm sure everything will work out.  I'm sorry it tested positive.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you have to worry about this!  I did not have GBS, but I can say that I use Culturelle probiotic (it's a capsule) when I'm on antibiotics or have an upset tummy - they work!  You can get it from Target and Wal-mart.  They also make it for babies/kids in a powder and my Pedi recommended I give it to Eli in his bottle while he was on antiobiotics (it's odorless and tasteless).  Ask your current pedi if you can give it to a newborn.  Maybe supplement in one formula bottle a day for a couple of days (if you're okay with that)...  If so, you may be able to prevent the thrush in both of you.  I hope all goes well and you avoid all of that!
  • Options
    I was GBS+ and took antibiotics with no thrush problems.  I honestly never heard of that when I was pg!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was GBS+ and on antibiotics after my c-section and had no problems BFing.  Hope everything goes well!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was GBS+ as well and didn't have any issues...I wasn't able to BF but that had nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  Maybe we will get lucky and it won't end up being a problem.  That lady told me that I could put the powder on my nipples so that the baby would get some of it too.  I'm going to ask the pedi about that though because that particular one does have flavoring in it. 
  • Options
    I was GBS+, and didn't do anything to prevent thrush. But we didn't experience the problem anyways :).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFetus Ticker  
    Ashley, DH: Paul
    Angel Baby: March 09
    #1-BFP: 11.17.09~EDD: 7.21.10~Tristan born 7.13.10 via unnecessary c-sec
    #2-BFP: 3.17.14~EDD: 11.28.14~ It's A Girl!~Shooting for a VBAC
                        Image and video hosting by TinyPic image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"