3rd Trimester
Options

Am I in labor or... what?

Has anyone else had this?

Ok, last Friday, I started having mild period-like contractions every 5 to 7 paired w/ nausea.  My OB sent me to L+D; once there, though having marked contractions, I had no dilation.  They sent me home until I made progress, telling me to return if they were 5 to 10 apart but more intense, or if I had blood, fluid, stillness from baby, etc.  After a night of this, I fell asleep and woke up the next morning (yesterday) contraction free.  So I thought that was that. 

But now, starting at 1am, I'm back to having contractions every.  The problem is that they are varying in intensity and duration, and they don't seem to end, so it's hard to time them. A different nurse told me "not to bother" coming in unless I had intense contractions that were 3 min apart and "intense"; completely different instructions than the other L+D nurse.  I mean, what is "intense"?  These are intense to me... they could be a lot worse, I know, but how do I know?

Sorry if this sounds stupid.  It's my first, and I am just not sure what to do.

Re: Am I in labor or... what?

• Options
    I would wait it out.  Maybe go and a walk and see what happens. 
  • Options
    They need to increase with intensity over time. Not just be intense if that makes sense. Also yah I would go more with the 3-5 minutes apart so you don't get turned away again. It could be prodromal labor since you are only 37 weeks it's not active labor but it does help your body progress. I would get up and start doing stuff like walking or cleaning. If it's active labor it will not stop and will keep increasing in intensity and should start being time able if it's prodromal chances are it will slow down or putter out. Good Luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a similar experience with ds.  It lasted for a couple weeks. I was pretty miserable by the time my water broke.  Hopefully you are closer to the real thing though!
  • Options

Intense usually means takes your breath away.  So if you have to focus on getting through the contraction and they're consistent, I'd consider it real contractions.

With DD my contractions weren't ever timetable.  And they were only intense for a total of 4hrs. 

• Options
    I would continue with your daily activities. If the contractions come and they stop you every time you have one, then start timing them. If you sit around and wait for it, you will go BSC...
    ~*March 26th, 2011 - The day I marry my best friend*~ Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers image 44 Invitations sent out!
    image 70 guests are joining the celebration!
    image 11 friends are sad they can't make it
    image 20 people are procrastinators!
    RSVP Date: 2/28/2011
  • Options
    I've been going through exactly this for 2 weeks now...I think it's called Prodromal Labor. My hope is that once actual labor kicks in, my body will be so well practiced that my labor will be shorter....can't blame a girl for wishing! Good Luck! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I dont plan to go to the hospital until I am having contractions that are 5 minutes apart, 1 minute long, for one hour. That is the guideline I plan to follow. Also I have read that taking a bath, laying down, or taking a shower may stop contractions if its false labor. So you might try one of those and see if they go away. If you can easily talk through the contractions or even do other things during them then you definitely dont need to go to the hospital yet.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageFutureMrsLemon:
    I dont plan to go to the hospital until I am having contractions that are 5 minutes apart, 1 minute long, for one hour. That is the guideline I plan to follow. Also I have read that taking a bath, laying down, or taking a shower may stop contractions if its false labor. So you might try one of those and see if they go away. If you can easily talk through the contractions or even do other things during them then you definitely dont need to go to the hospital yet.

I had this exactly a couple days ago.  Drank water, laid down, and took a warm bath and they didn't stop.  Went to hospital and was sent home.  I'm still at home, so this isn't even always the best rule of thumb even though that is what my Dr told me too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Options
    imageJ&Jaggies06:

imageFutureMrsLemon:

I had this exactly a couple days ago.  Drank water, laid down, and took a warm bath and they didn't stop.  Went to hospital and was sent home.  I'm still at home, so this isn't even always the best rule of thumb even though that is what my Dr told me too.

That was what I was told to do, too; 5-1-1.  I've done all of the above plus walking and cleaning, and they haven't gone away.  They are about 5 to 7 right now, lasting 1 minute or more, for several hours.  But aren't getting closer.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's PD ("False Labor").  With an appointment already scheduled for the morning, one way or the other, I'm getting seen.  So I'm going to wait and see.  I'll tell you this, too; they are exhausting.

• Options

imageQuinnsaras:
    I've been going through exactly this for 2 weeks now...I think it's called Prodromal Labor. My hope is that once actual labor kicks in, my body will be so well practiced that my labor will be shorter....can't blame a girl for wishing! Good Luck! :)

Thanks!  I'd never heard of PD; just Googled it and am thinking it's probably the same thing.  As I posted a sec ago, I have a regular weekly in the morning anyway, so one way or another, I'm getting seen in less than 24 hours. ;)  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"