1st Trimester
Options

Insurance/Dr Visit

I have my first visit with my Ob on tuesday oct 6th. so i called my insurance company to find out what is covered and what isn't. I found out my benefits are pretty decent except the u/s part. they only cover one. unless it is medically necessary to have more than one. if i want to do one early on and then one at 6 months to find out the sex of the baby i have to pay the visit in full. Does anyone else have this limitation with their insurance company?

Re: Insurance/Dr Visit

• Options
    Most drs won't do an u/s just because you want one.  I just had the 20w u/s w/ DD and everything was just fine.
  • Options
    Thank you, I have no idea how this stuff works, this is my first Smile
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with the PP, Insurance usually just covers 1 or 2, but most OBs won't do an ultrasound until 20wks, unless you are having medical issues.

Dylan Sophia 06.04.09 - Elijah Alexander 04.25.10 - 04.25.10 - Sullivan Thomas 09.06.11 - Calvin Douglas 08.06.13 - Baby GIRL Due 07.01.15!
    Elijah's Story: Embracing Elijah
    My blog: Midwest Chaos

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds like every insurance company out there - what did you think they'd cover? Ultrasounds for your comfort? They're there to cover your medical expenses.
  • Options
    yeah sam i understand that, i was just wondering, as i said this is my first pregnancy-
  • Options

imageSam78:
    That sounds like every insurance company out there - what did you think they'd cover? Ultrasounds for your comfort? They're there to cover your medical expenses.

:meow..hissssssssss:

No need to make her feel stupid...

• Options
    If you need more than 1, your Dr will make sure to code it as medically necessary in order to have it covered.  But, most Dr's only do 1 u/s with a typical, low-risk pregnancy.
    Bunny 05.2008//mc 9.2009//Bubba 07.2010//mc 10.2011//
    Bloggin' It
  • Options

aszalajka, maybe you'll luck out like me and have an OB that does a quick ultrasound at every visit free of charge.

• Options

I had no idea about this and I did not even think about it - I'm going to call my ins. to inquire about my benefits now!! Thanks for the post!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I guess I should consider myself lucky. 

I had my first u/s at 6w2d, my second at 7w5d and my third and final u/s at 8w5d. 

I would gladly trade my three u/s in for only 1 at 20 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageSam78:

Actually, it doesn't sound like every insurance company out there....my insurance will pay for 1 every month.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

op, that's pretty standard as far as insurance goes.  Trust me, you don't want medically necessary u/s (that your ins pays).  The first is done to confirm pregnancy and after that you just get your belly measured and hear the baby's h/b every couple of weeks. 

I have ultrasounds done every 4 weeks in third tri to make sure the baby is growing.  She has a 2 vessel cord that can be a sign of a plethora of congenital defects.  I think I've had 6 u/s so far.  

I would have rather paid $99 and gotten a 3D u/s at my leisure.  

• Options
    Mine coded my 1st u/s as a surgery so ins. would cover it.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    my doc did one the other day to hera the heartbeat and measure how far  along ,one at 20 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"