August 2013 Moms
Options

One beer.

2»

Re: One beer.

• Options
    I've had a sip of dh wine or beet here ant there just for the taste. I don't think it's a big deal and feel like junk food and OTC meds are more damaging. We all do what we think is best. We just did the hospital tour and they told us we could bring a bottle of bubbly in a cooler. Guess what I'm having for first meal!
  • Options
    I feel its not that big of a deal at all and find the "just not worth it" comments a bit self righteous.  If wine didn't give me heartburn I would have had a glass last night.
    Both conceived using 7.5 mg Femara+Ovidrel+IUI

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yea, no. Not risking it. 
    imageimage
    Anniversary

• Options

I had half a glass of champagne last night to celebrate quitting my job of 6 years.

I've looked at a variety of research and am fully comfortable with my choice to have a little drink here and there, especially close to the end. 

If your DH thinks 4 weeks isn't so long, ask him to join you in not drinking. In July. See how much he loves it. 

• Options

It's one beer. It's not like you're drinking a pint of vodka a night..

And they do make O'douls! ha. Amber is actually good.

I found this on Facebook the other day...DAMN TRUTH..People need to relax.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL BORN IN 1930's, 1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's and Early 80's !!! First, you survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes. Then after that trauma, your baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints. You had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when you rode your bikes, you had no helmets, not to mention, the risks you took hitchhiking .. As children, you would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun. You drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle. You shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this. You ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but you weren't overweight because...... YOU WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!! You would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach you all day. And you were OK. You would spend hours building your go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out you forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, you learned to solve the problem . You did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........YOU HAD FRIENDS and you went outside and found them! You fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents you played with worms(well most boys did) and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. You made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although you were told it would happen, you did not poke out any eyes. You rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them! Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! The idea of a parent bailing you out if you broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law! This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. You had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and you learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

• Options

imageRivieraBound:
    I feel its not that big of a deal at all and find the "just not worth it" comments a bit self righteous.  If wine didn't give me heartburn I would have had a glass last night.

Seriously. Agree.

• Options
    Haha DH and I were just discussing drinking yesterday. The smell of alcohol has been disgusting to me the whole pregnancy. In the past three days, an IPA or glass if red wine sounds heavenly. Only a short time to go!
  • Options
    imagevadamsv:

imageRivieraBound:

Seriously. Agree.

Tritto.  

image image

• Options
    imageSoleil3:
    imagevadamsv:

imageRivieraBound:

Seriously. Agree.

Tritto.  

I don't think anyone was being self righteous. I've said before I think it's a dumb thing to do, but more because I'm typically a full bottle of wine kind of girl. I don't know that a few sips or just a small glass would really satisfy me, so I've just avoided it. I've eaten my fair share of cold cuts and sushi and probably drank WAY too much caffeine. No judgement here, just doesn't seem worth it to me. 

Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • Options

I've had a sip here and there of a few things and have had a few NA beers at social functions.

We've hosted a few parties here lately that have required trips to the liquor store. I think I may actually miss going when I'm no longer hugely pregnant. The double takes and the looks of horror just get me every time! Just because I'm not drinking doesn't mean I can't buy. LOL

| My Blog l image
  • Options
    imageJill9288:
    imageSoleil3:
    imagevadamsv:

imageRivieraBound:

Seriously. Agree.

Tritto.  

I don't think anyone was being self righteous. I've said before I think it's a dumb thing to do, but more because I'm typically a full bottle of wine kind of girl. I don't know that a few sips or just a small glass would really satisfy me, so I've just avoided it. I've eaten my fair share of cold cuts and sushi and probably drank WAY too much caffeine. No judgement here, just doesn't seem worth it to me. 

Its the "it doesn't seem worth it" or " not worth the risk" comments that are self righteous. Doesn't seem worth what? What risk is being implied from a sip or a serving of alcohol now and again?

image image

• Options
    I'd kill for the confidence to have a sip of beer.  I have what might be the worst luck and the guiltiest conscience in the world, so I know if I have even the teensiest taste I will be out of my mind forever with worry.  Right now I'm trying to be satisfied with sniffs of my husbands martinis and homebrews and it ALMOST works.  A little flask of gin and a bottle of tonic water will most certainly find their way into my hospital bag.  I may even entertain the idea of a glass of wine to help me sleep for a while if I go into labor in the early evening.  Then again, I may crazy-talk myself out of it.

Have your beer, and think of me and all those like me who are too scared!
  • Options

imageRivieraBound:

yup.

Though I admit to being that FTM, too.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageSascha3:
    Last pregnancy I had a glass of red wine on our anniversary, and a glass of champagne for new years eve. I was in my third trimester. I have a pretty high tolerance so I didn't even feel the alcohol because it was a small amount.

This pregnancy I haven't had any except for a sip of the wine pairings that the sommelier sent out for my husband when we did a tasting menu for my birthday.

YOU may have a high tolerance but your baby doesn't. I'm not bashing anyone's choices at all, but let's remember mommies one drink may not impair you but think about how it makes your 5 lb fetus feel.
  • Options

imageMomeee1:
    imageSascha3:
    Last pregnancy I had a glass of red wine on our anniversary, and a glass of champagne for new years eve. I was in my third trimester. I have a pretty high tolerance so I didn't even feel the alcohol because it was a small amount. This pregnancy I haven't had any except for a sip of the wine pairings that the sommelier sent out for my husband when we did a tasting menu for my birthday.
    YOU may have a high tolerance but your baby doesn't. I'm not bashing anyone's choices at all, but let's remember mommies one drink may not impair you but think about how it makes your 5 lb fetus feel.

Yes mommies, think of the babies!!!

Seriously, shut up. No one here is advocating binge drinking or having more than a glass here and there.  

image image

• Options

imageMomeee1:
    imageSascha3:
    Last pregnancy I had a glass of red wine on our anniversary, and a glass of champagne for new years eve. I was in my third trimester. I have a pretty high tolerance so I didn't even feel the alcohol because it was a small amount. This pregnancy I haven't had any except for a sip of the wine pairings that the sommelier sent out for my husband when we did a tasting menu for my birthday.

you should probably consider an anatomy class.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I'm hazarding a guess that most of the freak-outs in this thread are by people with no real grasp of anatomy that make their decisions based on the educational posters in the liquor store.

Which is fine... but if you're also giving it up while nursing, it can mean no drinking for years. I prefer to learn what the actual risks and effects are and make a choice based on that. 

• Options
    imageBelhurstBride:

imageMomeee1:
    imageSascha3:
    Last pregnancy I had a glass of red wine on our anniversary, and a glass of champagne for new years eve. I was in my third trimester. I have a pretty high tolerance so I didn't even feel the alcohol because it was a small amount.

This pregnancy I haven't had any except for a sip of the wine pairings that the sommelier sent out for my husband when we did a tasting menu for my birthday.

you should probably consider an anatomy class. &nbsp;

You should consider why having a drink is that damn important!
  • Options
    imageSoleil3:

imageMomeee1:
    imageSascha3:

Yes mommies, think of the babies!!!

Seriously, shut up. No one here is advocating binge drinking or having more than a glass here and there. &nbsp;

So because I don't support your decision to get your fetus drunk, I should shut up? You sound like the idiot!
  • Options
    imageMomeee1:
    imageBelhurstBride:

imageMomeee1:
    imageSascha3:

you should probably consider an anatomy class.  

You should consider why having a drink is that damn important!

Do inform us all, what is it exactly that one drink will do?  

image image

• Options

I was never a big drinker before, not even wine. When asked how often I drank when doing my paperwork for this pergnancy I was laughed at when I said maybe twice a year. So for me, its not something I choose to do. I will be nursing again and will not drink during that time either. Its not me being self righteous at all, its just something I didnt do before and dont see a point of doing it while pregnant or nursing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"