Baby Names

Non-top 1000 names

I know people always say they want a name that's not in the top 100/500/1000, but what kind of names are we talking about, if you don't mind sharing? 

I know once you start getting down on the list it ends up being a bunch of youneek spellings of Aidan/Aiden/Aydin/Aadynn and whatnot, so it's not like there are even 1000 completely unique names in the top 1000 SS list. There are probably so many more really nice, unpopular, but totally normal names that only a few hundred, or a few dozen, babies are born with every year. 

Lately I've been really feeling Magdalena for a girl, which fell out of the top 1000 in 2010, or Alistair for a boy.  

my read shelf:
Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
40/112

Photobucket

Re: Non-top 1000 names

• Joy2611Joy2611
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary

But, I'm scared someone will take it and start a trend with it, Mery! 

Edmund.  <-- love.  Hard core.  Out of the top 1000.

~ May 2011: Married ~ December 2013: NTNP ~ March 2014: Chemical Pregnancy ~
    image   image

I love you. Maybe I'm an idiot for it, but I always have. Everything good that I try and do I do it because of you.  I try and get away but I just keep coming back. And that's because I love you.

• image Joy2611:

But, I'm scared someone will take it and start a trend with it, Mery! 

Edmund.  <-- love.  Hard core.  Out of the top 1000.

Lol, that's why I said "if you care to share." 

No one can really steal a name. :p I'm pretty sure most people here feel the same way, though!

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Joy2611Joy2611

I'm actually surprised that it hasn't jumped in popularity.  Given that Edward is so dang popular due to Twilight, I assumed others would be like "I want a name like Edward, but different..." 

I am in no way complaining!  I've loved the name since I was about ten and first read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."

image   image

I love you. Maybe I'm an idiot for it, but I always have. Everything good that I try and do I do it because of you.  I try and get away but I just keep coming back. And that's because I love you.

• Lol. Most of my list isn't in the top 1000, although some of them are probably weird. I've yet to meet anybody else who likes Demelza, which did not even make the Beyond the Top 1000 list. Hugh and Anna are the only names on my list that made the top 1000. 

Boys: Hamish, Ewan, Kelly, Fergus, Angus, Cormac, Darcy, Alistair, Eamonn, and Gareth (DS)

Girls: Niamh, Rowena, Briony/Bryony, Catriona/Caitriona, Rosalind, Linnea, Demelza, Demetria, Calliope, Iona

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I'm not going to post them (sorry!) but our top girl's names contenders (who aren't in the top 1000 and haven't been in the past 100+ years) are all legitimate, correctly spelt names that we came across through our studies, interests, diverse human relationships, working internationally etc. I've been keeping track of all the fascinating names I hear. We genuinely like each one of them, we didn't purposefully dug them up for their un-popularity. Actually, perhaps some ARE popular in some corner of the world :)
  • Names from our lists that were not in the top-1,000:

Amalia (blipped in 2011, back out again in 2012)

Cecily

Antonia

Nella

Harriet

Louisa

Susanna

Eugenie

Philippa

Oona

Americo

Artemas

Carlo (flits in and out of the low 900s)

Pascal/Pasquale

Kepler

Walton

Amasa

• Oh Cecily isn't?! That's on my list, too. 

Joy, I like Edmund much better than Edward, but I don't like Ed.  

my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Oops34Oops34
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Love Its

We were considering Mabel or Clementine, which are not in the top 1000. To me, I love the names and being out of the 10000 only made them more appealing. Ultimately, we decided on a name in the high 400's.

Beyond the top 1000 for boys, I like Lyle and Linus. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I find it hilarious that people really won't share their names with a bunch of strangers on the internet.  Really?
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • DD's name Zelda is out of the top 1000.

My current top girl names, Margot and Thora, are not in the top 1000 either.

• image msmerymac:

Oh Cecily isn't?! That's on my list, too. 

How about Ned? Sean Bean approves.

• Magdalena

Bernadette

Agnes

Georgiana

Joan

Therese

Ramona

Fern

Lorraine

Lloyd

Lachlan

Malachy

Angus

Ignatius

Harlan

Bartholomew

Sylvester

Ambrose

Augustine

Laurence

• image plunderb:
    image msmerymac:

Oh Cecily isn't?! That's on my list, too. 

True that! 

my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I just checked Moira & Margo (spelled this way) are not in the top 1000. Maeve is up in the 500 somethings now. While it's still not that popular, I know a few in my area. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • My son's name is Ames and it is not in the top 1000 :)

• I'm currently looking up names of family members for fun to see if they're on there or not, and so far I can see that Sherry, my mom's name, isn't on there. 

Waiting on your BFP is like Charlie checking for his Golden Ticket

(Kudos to HisGirlFriday929 for finding this gif for me)

VOTE on my Name List

• Joy2611Joy2611
    image msmerymac:
    image plunderb:
    image msmerymac:

Oh Cecily isn't?! That's on my list, too.&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Joy, I like Edmund much better than Edward, but I don't like Ed. &nbsp;

&nbsp;

True that!&nbsp;

I hate Ed. I can handle Ned. Personally, I want to use Eamon as the nickname as it's the Gaelic version of Edmund. Most people think that's weird. It probably is. I don't care.
    image   image

• Oh, and I just realized that Ellis isn't on there. 

ETA:  Neither is Ellen. 

VOTE on my Name List

• Ulysses (although it was 979 in 2011)

Fawn

• I am searching for a non popular boy name and its hard!
    TTC Journey
    TTC Since June 2009

New RE 6/29/11..HSG = Normal
    DX PCOS & Anovulatory & MFI- Low Motility >20%
    July 2011 Femara 5 mg = No O
    August 2011 6 week break to start Metformin :(

Oct 2011 Femara 7.5 mg + IUI#1 = Cancled due to 0% Motility
    11/11/11 DH w/new URO put on 50 mg Clomid

IUI 1-4 Femara 7.5 mg = BFN
    March 2012 Gonal F + Ovidrel + IUI #5 = BFFN
    Break due to cysts :-(
    April 2012 Gonal F + Ovidrel + IUI#6 = BFFN
    May 2012 Gonal F + Ovidrel + IUI #7 = Canx due to 0% Motility
    IVF #1 August 2012.. 7R/6M/6F! Transfered 2 6 cell = BFFN
    IVF #2 October 2012?

?S/PAIFW?

[URL=http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p26/machole513/?action=view
  • ZimgerZimger
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 250 Love Its Second Anniversary

I don't know of any girls names that I really like outside of the top 1000 but I have a few boy names. I've thought about using them as FN's but I don't think I would...maybe as MN's.

• Tycho
    • Bram
    • Ansel
    • Crispin
    • Percival

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image machole513:
    I am searching for a non popular boy name and its hard!

What about Todd?  

VOTE on my Name List

• ZimgerZimger
    image queenbone:

Joan

Ambrose

Love Joan and Ambrose! I didn't even think of Joan.

• DD's name, Elinor, isn't in the top 1000, but Eleanor and her nn, Nora, are both in the top 150.

Our future possible boy and girl name are on the list between 600 and 1000 (Duncan and Matilda).

RIP Platinum Status
    TTC #2

Lilypie - (IUPt)

• A friend of mine is pretty set on choosing a name that is not in the top 1000. One of her top girl names is Aurelia.  The other two top girl names she has are in the high 800s.

We are almost definitely naming our son Dashiell. It's not in the top 1000, but that's not intentional. (And to be honest, I kind of wish it was. I don't want a name in the top 500 or anything, but I actually do wish it was a little more popular as one of my hesitations with the name is that friends and family will think it's "too out there" or "too uncommon" enough to embrace/like it.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image SarahL77:
    DD's name, Elinor, isn't in the top 1000, but Eleanor and her nn, Nora, are both in the top 150.
    Our future possible boy and girl name are on the list between 600 and 1000 Duncan and Matilda.

Duncan, Matilda and Elinor make up the cutest sibset ever!

• There are a quite a few non top 1000 that I like but the one I think of is my son's. Carlin for a boy of Gaelic origin meaning "little champion". I originally got the name from watching a lot of George Carlin comedy while I was pregnant & then when I saw the meaning it just fit. He was my little hero, giving me the strength for some much needed change.
    BFP 4/3/07 EDD 11/23/07 MC 7/20/07 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • ZimgerZimger

image aimee1899:
    image SarahL77:
    DD's name, Elinor, isn't in the top 1000, but Eleanor and her nn, Nora, are both in the top 150. Our future possible boy and girl name are on the list between 600 and 1000 Duncan and Matilda.
    Duncan, Matilda and Elinor make up the cutest sibset ever!

Oh I agree. I really like Duncan!

• Kfran84Kfran84
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    Imogen is the only one on my list off the top 1,000! Others were in the 200400 range which I'm cool with.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Teen Crush: James Van Der Beek in Varsity Blues
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Court0026:
    I find it hilarious that people really won't share their names with a bunch of strangers on the internet. nbsp;Really?

ITA
    Birthday