Baby Names

Non-top 1000 names

I know people always say they want a name that's not in the top 100/500/1000, but what kind of names are we talking about, if you don't mind sharing? 

I know once you start getting down on the list it ends up being a bunch of youneek spellings of Aidan/Aiden/Aydin/Aadynn and whatnot, so it's not like there are even 1000 completely unique names in the top 1000 SS list. There are probably so many more really nice, unpopular, but totally normal names that only a few hundred, or a few dozen, babies are born with every year. 

Lately I've been really feeling Magdalena for a girl, which fell out of the top 1000 in 2010, or Alistair for a boy.  

my read shelf:
Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
40/112

Photobucket

Re: Non-top 1000 names

• imageJoy2611:

But, I'm scared someone will take it and start a trend with it, Mery! 

Edmund.  <-- love.  Hard core.  Out of the top 1000.

Lol, that's why I said "if you care to share." 

No one can really steal a name. :p I'm pretty sure most people here feel the same way, though!

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Lol. Most of my list isn't in the top 1000, although some of them are probably weird. I've yet to meet anybody else who likes Demelza, which did not even make the Beyond the Top 1000 list. Hugh and Anna are the only names on my list that made the top 1000. 

Boys: Hamish, Ewan, Kelly, Fergus, Angus, Cormac, Darcy, Alistair, Eamonn, and Gareth (DS)

Girls: Niamh, Rowena, Briony/Bryony, Catriona/Caitriona, Rosalind, Linnea, Demelza, Demetria, Calliope, Iona

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not going to post them (sorry!) but our top girl's names contenders (who aren't in the top 1000 and haven't been in the past 100+ years) are all legitimate, correctly spelt names that we came across through our studies, interests, diverse human relationships, working internationally etc. I've been keeping track of all the fascinating names I hear. We genuinely like each one of them, we didn't purposefully dug them up for their un-popularity. Actually, perhaps some ARE popular in some corner of the world :)
    Anniversary
  • Names from our lists that were not in the top-1,000:

Amalia (blipped in 2011, back out again in 2012)

Cecily

Antonia

Nella

Harriet

Louisa

Susanna

Eugenie

Philippa

Oona

Americo

Artemas

Carlo (flits in and out of the low 900s)

Pascal/Pasquale

Kepler

Walton

Amasa

• Oh Cecily isn't?! That's on my list, too. 

Joy, I like Edmund much better than Edward, but I don't like Ed.  

my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • oops34oops34 member

We were considering Mabel or Clementine, which are not in the top 1000. To me, I love the names and being out of the 10000 only made them more appealing. Ultimately, we decided on a name in the high 400's.

Beyond the top 1000 for boys, I like Lyle and Linus. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I find it hilarious that people really won't share their names with a bunch of strangers on the internet.  Really?
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • DD's name Zelda is out of the top 1000.

My current top girl names, Margot and Thora, are not in the top 1000 either.

• imagemsmerymac:

Oh Cecily isn't?! That's on my list, too. 

How about Ned? Sean Bean approves.

• Magdalena

Bernadette

Agnes

Georgiana

Joan

Therese

Ramona

Fern

Lorraine

Lloyd

Lachlan

Malachy

Angus

Ignatius

Harlan

Bartholomew

Sylvester

Ambrose

Augustine

Laurence

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageplunderb:
    imagemsmerymac:

True that! 

my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I just checked Moira & Margo (spelled this way) are not in the top 1000. Maeve is up in the 500 somethings now. While it's still not that popular, I know a few in my area. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • My son's name is Ames and it is not in the top 1000 :)
  • I'm currently looking up names of family members for fun to see if they're on there or not, and so far I can see that Sherry, my mom's name, isn't on there. 

• Oh, and I just realized that Ellis isn't on there. 

ETA:  Neither is Ellen. 

• Ulysses (although it was 979 in 2011)

Fawn

• I am searching for a non popular boy name and its hard!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ZimgerZimger member

I don't know of any girls names that I really like outside of the top 1000 but I have a few boy names. I've thought about using them as FN's but I don't think I would...maybe as MN's.

• Tycho
    • Bram
    • Ansel
    • Crispin
    • Percival

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemachole513:
    I am searching for a non popular boy name and its hard!

What about Todd?  

• ZimgerZimger member
    imagequeenbone:

Joan

Ambrose

Love Joan and Ambrose! I didn't even think of Joan.

• DD's name, Elinor, isn't in the top 1000, but Eleanor and her nn, Nora, are both in the top 150.

Our future possible boy and girl name are on the list between 600 and 1000 (Duncan and Matilda).

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• A friend of mine is pretty set on choosing a name that is not in the top 1000. One of her top girl names is Aurelia.  The other two top girl names she has are in the high 800s.

We are almost definitely naming our son Dashiell. It's not in the top 1000, but that's not intentional. (And to be honest, I kind of wish it was. I don't want a name in the top 500 or anything, but I actually do wish it was a little more popular as one of my hesitations with the name is that friends and family will think it's "too out there" or "too uncommon" enough to embrace/like it.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSarahL77:
    DD's name, Elinor, isn't in the top 1000, but Eleanor and her nn, Nora, are both in the top 150.
    Our future possible boy and girl name are on the list between 600 and 1000 Duncan and Matilda.

Duncan, Matilda and Elinor make up the cutest sibset ever!

• There are a quite a few non top 1000 that I like but the one I think of is my son's. Carlin for a boy of Gaelic origin meaning "little champion". I originally got the name from watching a lot of George Carlin comedy while I was pregnant & then when I saw the meaning it just fit. He was my little hero, giving me the strength for some much needed change.
    BFP 4/3/07 EDD 11/23/07 MC 7/20/07 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • ZimgerZimger member

imageaimee1899:
    imageSarahL77:
    DD's name, Elinor, isn't in the top 1000, but Eleanor and her nn, Nora, are both in the top 150. Our future possible boy and girl name are on the list between 600 and 1000 Duncan and Matilda.
    Duncan, Matilda and Elinor make up the cutest sibset ever!

Oh I agree. I really like Duncan!

• Kfran84Kfran84 member
    Imogen is the only one on my list off the top 1,000! Others were in the 200400 range which I'm cool with.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCourt0026:
    I find it hilarious that people really won't share their names with a bunch of strangers on the internet. nbsp;Really?

ITA
    Birthday

• imagequeenbone:

Magdalena

Bernadette

Agnes

Georgiana

Joan

Therese

Ramona

Fern

Lorraine

Lloyd

Lachlan

Malachy

Angus

Ignatius

Harlan

Bartholomew

Sylvester

Ambrose

Augustine

Laurence

Love your list.  Lachlan is on ours too.  I've tried to get DH on board w/Ignatius, Harlan, and Malachy.  So far, no go.

• Corina, Maren and Margot
    image Samuel (Photo by Gruman Photography)

• imagebrooksidebride:

A friend of mine is pretty set on choosing a name that is not in the top 1000. One of her top girl names is Aurelia.  The other two top girl names she has are in the high 800s.

We are almost definitely naming our son Dashiell. It's not in the top 1000, but that's not intentional. (And to be honest, I kind of wish it was. I don't want a name in the top 500 or anything, but I actually do wish it was a little more popular as one of my hesitations with the name is that friends and family will think it's "too out there" or "too uncommon" enough to embrace/like it.)

Supposedly my name, Meredith, was a little too "out there" for my dad's family. And it was 150ish the year I was born (600+ now).  That side of the family picks really boring names. Even though my dad agreed to my name, I also worry that he'll be like, "huh?" since I would want to keep names secret until birth, so he wouldn't even have a chance to get used to it. 

my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • My mom's name, Carol, and my daughter's middle name, Belle, are both out of the top 1,000.
  • stahlopstahlop member

My favorite, not in the top 1000, is Augusta. 

Oh, and Imogen.  

I tried really hard to convince my DH on both of these for DD.  More Augusta though. 

imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• imageplunderb:
    imagemsmerymac:

Sean Bean dies in everything!  No good!  I love the name Zelda, but I am a hardcore video game geek, and all my friends would tease me mercilessly if I had named DD that.  Her name is unfortunately super popular, but she was named after my Great Gramma so popularity be damned.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • My name (Jill) isn't top 1000 anymore.  If this baby is a girl, her first or middle name will be Wren which is not top 1000 either.  Though, knowing our "style" (classic, preppy), the other name we choose will likely be top 500 at the very least.  Probably top 100. :)

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• I was shocked to find my middle name common MN is not in the top 1000.
    Louise!
    It is a classic, nottoooutthere name.

• TheWopTheWop member

Audra and Agatha. 

If I had another daughter tomorrow she would most likely be an Audra. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagetalanswife:
    My son's name is Ames and it is not in the top 1000 :)

Is this like Amos? Or is it one syllable? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
  • My top two girl names are Ophelia and Wren, neither of which are in the top 1000. My top boy name is Finley which is 547. 

"Not in the top 1000" used to be my rule, but we have so much trouble choosing boy names that I had to compromise it.  

Oh and my daughter's name is Ramona, which isn't in the top 1000 either.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
  • Tovah. 
    sam & arlo 

• imageHattieLove:

imagetalanswife:
    My son's name is Ames and it is not in the top 1000 :)

Is this like Amos? Or is it one syllable? 

It is one syllable, pronounced like aims.  It was DH's grandfather's name.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"