2nd Trimester
Options

oh a lot of women smoke during pregnancy, my bad.

Re: oh a lot of women smoke during pregnancy, my bad.

• Options

I agree!  Awesome display of putting your babies first by quitting!

I think advances in science are showing that just because a baby comes out of the womb "fine" does not mean the child was unharmed by toxic chemicals.  The study of epigenetics is showing that you can affect the DNA of your fetus which later in life will affect how your child develops.

My mom smoked and drank coffee to excess all through 4 pregnancies and claims we all came out "just fine" (even though we were all small babies and my brother was a preemie with a heart murmur).  I wonder now, however, how her choices affected us.

Anyway, I would've been pissed too at those women.  They sound like morons.

• Options
    haha!! i love your reaction at the bottom... some people have no manners or common sense!! as I tell my students - manners don't cost a thing!! anyway, i don't smoke and i even covered my mouth or held my breath when walking past people who were smoking when i was pregnant. and now that i have my baby i avoid smoking people as much as i can!! that may seem a bit harsh but i don't care!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejlhinkley:

i was actually told by someone that quitting smoking during the first trimester can actually cause a miscarraige. i personally dont know if this is true but i dont care.

This is NOT true!  Any doctor will tell you that the best thing to do if you are a smoker is to quit!

I smoked for 10 years and the second I had a positive pregnancy test I quit.  It wasn't hard for me because I had a REASON to quit.  I tried many times before to quit and it never worked but I had no problems at all quitting when I knew that I was now responsible for my baby!

• Options

There is actually little to no research to prove that marijuana affects the fetus.  It's much safer than smoking cigarettes, and I know women who smoked marijuana to fight morning sickness, instead of taking chemical medicines prescribed by doctors.  

I wouldn't smoke it, personally, and did not through either of my pregnancies or while nursing, because I believe that through the blood/milk the baby can get high, and that's not fair.  But just like there are no adverse effects on adults, there would be none for the fetus either.

Just saying. 

• Options

Two women I work with smoked sparingly during their pregancies.  Their doctor said that it would do more harm to quit cold turkey than to smoke one or two a day.  STILL, smoking is a horrible, disgusting habit.  Yes, I used to smoke and did for about 15 years, but I quit. I am 7 months prego now and I couldn't imagine smoking, or drinking or doing drugs during my pregnancy.  I want my baby to have every opportunity to have a healthy life.  Most women do not smoke during their pregnancy. I see smoking during pregancy as ignorant and extremely selfish.  I work in healthcare and you cannot even smoke on the hospital's campuses!

• Options
    I quit almost 6 years ago now and to this day I miss it everyday.  But I know my babies 17mo and due at the end of sept are better because they live in a smoke free home.  I smoke in my dreams which is funny but its not real so its all good
  • Options
    I know this girl who smoked throughout her pregnancy and her baby was born at 29 weeks with lots of complications. They can't specifically attribute it to smoking but everyone knows that is why. Except for the mother and the father!!!!! They just don't get it. I what the hell is wrong with people?? I freak out when I can even smell smoke. I just can't understand how someone in their right mind can risk the health of their baby so blatantly. And in this day and age when there is so much info about the harm of smoking.
  • Options
    HOLY CRAP!  AMEN TO THAT SISTER!  I totally agree!  So sick of people that are ignorant.  Get up off your ass and read a book.  Hmmm...what a concept.  Educate yourself about being healthy during your pregnancy.  My hubby and I have come to this conclusion: a lot of people are dumb & rude. 
  • Options
    imagestruttonnorf:
    imagepiglet6609:

imageIs it June yet?:
    There are so many things I'd like to judge here... Must... keep... mouth... shut...

Fine, I will say it... Just because I am in a cranky mood and don't really care if I get the flame throwers from hell coming down on me today!

You work in a welfare office, these woman were there to collect benefits or assistance I am guessing  from the complaint of being there all day and the same woman are out side huffing and puffing on cigarettes.... And basically bragging about smoking during all of her pregnancies! 

Um if they can afford to be smoking all damn day then maybe they should not be getting as much assistance!!! And the statement all pregnancies implies two or more kids, How about mandatory birth control, drug and alcohol tests!!! Welfare should be used as a band-aid to help you get by not a subsidy to allow you to sit on your ass and continue to not want to do for your self and the babies you continue to have on the system, it is not there to feed your children so what little money you bring in can go towards smoking!!! Peoples priorities are so messed up! If you can't afford to look after the children you are having then STOP making babies! 

HOLY CRAP!  AMEN TO THAT SISTER!  I totally agree!  So sick of people that are ignorant.  Get up off your ass and read a book.  Hmmm...what a concept.  Educate yourself about being healthy during your pregnancy.  My hubby and I have come to this conclusion: a lot of people are dumb & rude. 

• Options
    imagemammaitalia:

There is actually little to no research to prove that marijuana affects the fetus.  It's much safer than smoking cigarettes, and I know women who smoked marijuana to fight morning sickness, instead of taking chemical medicines prescribed by doctors.  

I wouldn't smoke it, personally, and did not through either of my pregnancies or while nursing, because I believe that through the blood/milk the baby can get high, and that's not fair.  But just like there are no adverse effects on adults, there would be none for the fetus either.

Just saying. 

One of the reasons for the lack of research is that people who normally smoke pot either also smoke cigarettes or drink or both, so they cannot tell what effects are due to the other vices and what are from the pot. I am all for legalizing pot (and taxing the shnot out of it) but cannot imagine someone smoking it while pg, just the same as with cigs and alcohol. I do have a friend that smoked both pot and cigarettes until she was about 20 weeks along, because "thats when the lungs start developing" and I'm thinking, yeah, its not a matter of the kid taking that stuff in through the lungs, its that it mixes into your blood stream and from there to the baby. Her doc did her c-section about 3 weeks before she was due (he had scheduling conflicts) and the baby wound up in NICU for a couple of weeks because of underdeveloped lungs, but that could have been because of the early birth as much as the smoking.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• Options

People are stupid- so some women do smoke while pregnant... because they are stupid and selfish!!!!  I think it is definately on the decline though, just as smoking is in general.

I would've told her about a boy I knew in college with half a face... his mother smoked while she was pregnant and he was born with tumors on his neck and side of his face and the early stages of lung cancer!  One tumor was as big as his head.  He had to have emergency surgery only hours old!  He lost some of his jaw bone because the tumors were so entwined and had a permanent trachiotomy in place.  He spent his whole life in and out of the hospital, undergoing surgeries, drowning in his own fluids, and breathing out of a tube for the rest of his life.  I had to help him change the tube in his throat once because he was choking.  All because his mother couldn't bother to stop smoking while pregnant.  His dad wouldn't quit even after he was born like this and the second hand smoke made his breathing problems even worse!!

To the woman whose friend is smoking while TTC- you should tell her that smoking can prevent her from getting pregnant.

• Options
    TLCATLCA member
    imagestruttonnorf:
    imagepiglet6609:

imageIs it June yet?:
    There are so many things I'd like to judge here... Must... keep... mouth... shut...

Fine, I will say it... Just because I am in a cranky mood and don't really care if I get the flame throwers from hell coming down on me today!

You work in a welfare office, these woman were there to collect benefits or assistance I am guessing  from the complaint of being there all day and the same woman are out side huffing and puffing on cigarettes.... And basically bragging about smoking during all of her pregnancies! 

Um if they can afford to be smoking all damn day then maybe they should not be getting as much assistance!!! And the statement all pregnancies implies two or more kids, How about mandatory birth control, drug and alcohol tests!!! Welfare should be used as a band-aid to help you get by not a subsidy to allow you to sit on your ass and continue to not want to do for your self and the babies you continue to have on the system, it is not there to feed your children so what little money you bring in can go towards smoking!!! Peoples priorities are so messed up! If you can't afford to look after the children you are having then STOP making babies! 

I could not say it better myself.

• Options
    Thank you! ITA. :) Less smoking would leave you with more money for the things you are getting from welfare-like food!  :)
  • Options

WOW, thats a big wow.......i used to be a heavy smoker and i LITERALLY did not have another smoke once i peed on the stick, a lot of women wait for the blood test "to make sure" but serisouly common, you're pregnant, get over it........i am currently 34 weeks and 2 days and have been smoke free since i found out i was pregnant, i think it is selfish and disgusting to continue smiking while pregnant.  I know there are women that "get lucky" and their babies are healthy but c'mon, you dont know if it has harmed your baby or not until it is too late to do anything about it!  WOW.......i dont understand.  Yeah it was hard, yeah i still crave it, BUT i have a precious life inside me that has no choice but to consume everything i consume and i just dont think it is fair to continue smoking - ultimately it is a choice and it is your choice but i just cant see me being ok with someone handing my newborn a cigarette so how DARE i continue smoking, it is the same thing!

I was a smoker before becoming pregnant and probably will be a smoker again AFTER the baby and i still feel that it is shameful to smoke while pregnant...

grrrrrrrrrrr

• Options

HALELUJA!!!!!!!!

I AGREE 100%

• Options

These women are idiots and should never have been allowed to reproduce. The entire premise behind deciding to become a parent is that it's not just about you anymore. Whether it's breaking a nicotine addiction, suffering through a cold sans-cough syrup, or accepting the fact that you will never be able to wear a two-piece again as your belly resembles the cover of a marble notebook, sacrifice is the name of the game.

I have seen women smoking while PG, but that doesn't make it right by a long-shot. Would it be acceptable to stick a cigarette in an infants mouth? That's exactly what they're doing; everything you put into your body goes into the baby's.

Good for you for doing the right thing & putting your child first. Having a healthy baby is all that matters & if these women are too selfish too see that then I feel sorry for their families.  

• Options
    my neighbor growing up smoked during all three of her pgs, one of her daughters has extreme asthma and requires oxygen therapy several times a day...it angers me just thinking about it now...
  • Options
    I had to go for an out-patient ultrasound at the hospital during my 2nd trimester, and as I'm pulling into the parking lot, I see a very visibly pregnant woman (at least 7 mos) in a hospital gown, with an IV tower, standing across the street from the hospital (no smoking on campus), SMOKING a cigarette.  I was dumbstruck- she was obviously a patient, and she was smoking.  I try not to be judgemental, but I couldn't help myself here.
  • Options
    imagecolleend10:

My pregnancy was a *surprise* and I was a heavy smoker prior.  But my first trimester I was soo sick that even before I realized I was preggers the smell, taste and thought of a cig would make me want to vomit and I just stopped on my own.  It was like my body's own intuition.  My baby knows best! :)

This for me too.  I was actually trying to quit and doing ok---I had drastically cut back---but I got sick and didn't notice any withdrawls.

• Options

Smoking during pregnancy doesn't mean there will be complications but it increases the risk. I don't understand why women would take that risk. I am more of a social/stressed smoker. But when my hubbie and I decided to try to have a baby, I quit altogether. We had problems conceiving and I had given up. Needless to say, a few margaritas, cigarettes and months later I was pregnant. I worried throughout the entire pregnancy that I had harmed her. I didn't find out I was pregnant until almost 8 weeks so I kept thinking during the most critical stages of development I had harmed her. Thank God nothing was wrong with her. 

It's bad enough smoking when we know the harm it does to us. And I'm in the same box because I smoked. But to put a child who doesn't have a choice in harms way, that's just selfish.

• Options

As a former smoker, I know how hard it can be to give up smoking.  I was a smoker when I found out I was pregnant with my first child.  I quit cold turkey.  It was hard to fight the want for a cigarette, but I did it.  I didn't pick up smoking again until after I weened her.  I've been a non-smoker now for 5yrs.  It's hard to believe that I was a smoker at all because the smell of the smoke disgusts me.

I also have friends who have smoked during their pregnancies.  Although I do find it a bit selfish, especially if they didn't even try to reduce the frequency or amount they smoked, I can also understand how hard it is for them to quit.  However, I still believe it's wrong to smoke while pregnant and for someone to be so matter-of-fact about it and admit they've done it/are doing it.  You would think that they would consider the health risks to their baby to be enough to quit.  Unfortunately, nicotine is just as potent to a smoker as addictive drugs are to an addict.  Nothing is enough to make them quit unless they are willing and ready to do it.  Sad, but true.

• Options
    imageashleynicoles:

Women with healthy babies who choose to partake in things such as smoking, drugs, and/or alcohol consumption need to realize that they're the exception and not the rule!

There is much medical research and evidence that shows the effects. And to you smokers who did you quit during pregnancy....YOU GO! I'm sure it has to be incredibly difficult and I'm proud of you for making that selfless decision for your child. Step 1 to being an awesome mommy! :)

Then these women who do smoke during pregnancy end up wondering why their baby is born prematurley, have a low birth rate or end up developing asthma or allergies.  It can often be linked to being exposed to their mother's smoking during pregnancy.  I've known of many women who smoke and stop while pregnant.  They may go back to smoking but never do it around their children and smoke outside the home.  They keep in mind the risk to their children, even if they don't keep in mind the risks to themselves. 

• Options
    I have never been a smoker, but my mother was, my sisters and I were very small I was the largest at 5lb 5oz.  I am very healthy but both of my sisters have asthma and allergies.  My youngest sister had severe asthma as a small child and had to take nebuelizer treatment 3 times per day, and was born with a heart murmer.  As we have no family history of congenital heart defect I attribute it to her smoking.  I also know many women who smoked through out thier pregnancies and thier children have no obviouse problems, but I have huge problems with it and find it infuriating!  I don't believe ANYONE has the right to make a risky lifestyle choice for someone else and essentially that is what a mother does when she smokes pregnant.  Not only is the mother choosing to be a smoker with all of the associated health risks but she is choosing for her unborn infant to be a smoker as well.  Same goes for parents who expose thier children to second hand smoke...I was a second hand smoker for nearly 19 years due to my mother and I don't think that its ok! 
  • Options

hahahahaha!  she just wants to feel like her actions are justified. 

I was at a baby shower once where we had to wait for the girl who was throwing it (a friend of the mom-to-be's) because she was outside smoking.  I was a smoker then (I smoked for 12 years before I got pregnant) and while I was outside with her she told me she had just had a baby and smoked.  Her doctor told her if she couldn't quit she should at least cut back, so she did to 1 or 2 a day.  C'mon--when you only smoke 1 or 2 a day you're just doing it out of habit and should've just quit already.

I purposely quit a few months before trying to get pregnant and then stopped the nicotine gum the day we started trying.  Folks, those of us who have smoked KNOW it's very, very hard.  But your kid can't ask you to stop.  It's the best gift you can give them.  Talk to your docotor if you need help for crying out loud.  Good luck to anybody trying to quit before or while pregnant!

• Options
    I would have come back with something like "alot of women drown their kids too.." or something like that, but I tend to go overboard sometimes...
  • Options
    Also, think of where the baby is growing--I read somewhere that if people want to consider how awful it is to smoke while pregnant, it's like the kid is in an unventilated bubble where "smoke" goes in but can't come back out....nice!
  • Options

That is so stupid. One of my sister-in-law's excuse was that the baby lungs haven't been formed yet. Can you believe that? So she thinks its ok to filled a poor innocent child with chemicals while its not even completely formed yet. Unbelievable how people think!

It disgusts me!!!!!!

• Options
    imagebchenier:

I've been having suuuper crazy dreams involving smoking, and even crave it like crazy these days but I just keep thinking about keeping my baby healthy and that gets me through the day!

I know what you mean about the crazy dreams involving smoking. For about a month straight during my first trimester, I would have nightly dreams involving me either smoking or buying a pack of cigarettes. I only crave cigarettes when cruising around with my husband or when I see someone smoking in a movie. However, just like you said I just think about what it would do to the baby and it definitely does get me through those cravings.   

• Options
    why thank you :) im trying really hard not to smoke eventhou my DH is also a smoker and has not quit (he lowered the cigs to 3 tops a day thou)... Its all worth it for my baby!
  • Options
    You think that is bad?? My friend was a waitress at our country club, and she was waiting on an obviously-about-to-pop pregnant woman, who proceeds to ask her if she can get a Monster-Ita (a giant margarita offered there), so my friend repeats back to her "a VIRGIN monsterita, right?" and the lady says "no, I don't want it a virgin!"  So she finishes taking the order, and then asks her boss if they can serve that to her, and he tells her "well, it isn't against the law, she is of age, there is nothing we can do about it."  So, she brings her the drink.  The lady finishes that one, and then asks for another.  My friend kindly went to her boss and told him he needed to find a different waitress to wait on that table, because she just didn't feel comfortable serving that woman.  YAY for my friend for standing up for her beliefs, but BOOO on that woman!!!!!!!  I can't believe people!!!!
  • Options
    u shouldnt judge for the fact that i do smoke and i am pregnant. i have cut down by a lot but if u have ever smoked in your life then you would no how hard it is to quit. i have tried so many things to quit but nothing works. its awesome that u dont smoke but u have no right to judge anyone who does
  • Options
    I smoked before I got pregnant and I thought when I was pregnant it would be easy to quit because I would have a reason to do so, yeah that was totally not the case. It was hard and I quit once and then started up again, I quit again and after awhile it gets easier but I felt horrible while I was smoking, it was a little easier to quit when he started moving, I think before I didn't really feel pregnant and then it  hit me and I finally stopped, it's still hard to go to family get togethers because it feels like everyone is outside smoking and I can almost taste it I want one so bad, but afterwards I am glad I didn't. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You've GOT to be kidding me! I won't even come within 10 feet of smoke much less think its "normal" to smoke during pregnancy! Good job remaining calm bc I wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut after the dirty looks. I don't understand how she didn't think about the damage she was doing to her child with every puff!
  • Options

The sad but true thing is a LOT of women do smoke throughout pregnancy.

A lot of them also drink, do drugs, and a variety of other stupid things.

I once had a women who somehow didnt realize that her baby breathing over 60 times a minute and turning blue was a bad thing so an hour later her mom called 911. Needless to say the baby was in severe respiratory distress so I being a critical care medic needed to take them up to a specialty hospital that had a pediatric ICU. WHY was the baby in severe resp distress? Because mom smoked through the whole pregnancy negatively impacting fetal lung development.

This kid was REALLY sick, I'm talking they had had to breathe for them in the ER so needless to say it was an emergency. I quickly loaded the baby and got my equipment attached to them and then mom started yelling at me cuz she "needed a g damn smoke" and that i'd better sit around awhile cuz she's sore from that stupid c section and doesnt want to be here.

I told her her options were to get in my ambulance now or not go with her child and I'd take care of the kid under implied consent. Mom decided to light her cigarette anyway so baby just went with me and grandma. I have no clue how mom was going to get to the new hospital nor did I care at that point.

The ignorance of some people absolutely kills me. I'm not even a parent yet but i've been a nanny for 12 years and I couldn't imagine ever not doing the absolute best I could for the kiddos I watchs well being, let alone my own when I have them. We're not planning on kids for another year or so and I'm already taking prenatal vitamins and have my pre-pregnancy checkup done, and obgyn as well as hospital picked out lol.

More power to you for standing up to those idiots, we need more people with common sense around!

• Options
    I would like to point out that it's not fair to judge until you've walked a mile in that woman's shoes.  Who knows what's driving her to smoke?  Stress because she's uninsured or no place to live?  No partner?  No support from family and friends?  Maybe she's sick all of the time and the only thing that calms her stomach is a cigarette?  Plus, unless you've been a smoker, you have no idea how hard it is to quit.  Let's not forget how many women were told to keep smoking and drinking during pregnancy in the 1950s and those kids turned out all right.  I'm not saying we should all go out and smoke a pack and down some vodka, I'm just making a point.  Unless you're going to raise her child, it's none of your business.
  • Options

So people don't have the right to judge people who put their innocent unborn child in harms way now? Should we also not judge crack addicts who are pregnant? alcoholics?

I have watched more than one baby die because of their moms addiction to cigarettes.

Have you ever seen a baby struggling to breathe whose lungs just arent developed enough to support them, and then watch them slip away? yeah, it sucks, and I pray every day I never have to see something like that again, but unfortunately with another 20yrs+ on the job ahead of me, I have my doubts :(

It IS good that you have cut down, and I commend you for that, but that does NOT mean that people who smoke while pregnant shouldnt have a negative stigma. If there isn't that stigma attached, why WOULD people stop smoking while pregnant??

• Options

PLEASE tell me you are not serious ... Do your research & you will find out that now they say that smoking Marijuana is like smoking 2 cigarettes at a time!!!! How do you believe that it DOES NOT affect your living child growing inside you when it gets you HIGH? It is going through your bloodstream & is going through your baby as well just like everything else that you put into your body! Your baby is directly affected by anything & everything that you consume, smoke, inhale & put into your body.

On another note ... I actually know a girl who smoked through out her whole pregnancy & planned on quitting the day her son was born ... how ignorant!!! Doesn't it make more sense to quit while you're pregnant & your child is growing & developing? And I think it is useless to use the excuse of  "oh i'm so stressed out" ... get over it!!! What do you think us non-smokers do when we get stressed? We deal with it, get over it & move on. If you are not ready to forget about you to put your childs needs before yours then you should not be having children .. once you become pregnant it is not about you & what you want anymore ......

• Options

I have 2 twin girlfriends whose mother smoked during her pregnancy; one has systemic lupus and had a hysterectomy at 28--the other is bipolar.  Both have asthma.  This was in the 1970's, but even then there was no excuse.  

Anyone who smokes during pregnancy is a fking idiot.   The toxins pass directly into the placenta.  I smoked for 10 years and quit cold turkey the day I found out I was pregnant.

Furthermore, if it is illegal to smoke indoors because of second-hand smoke, why the hell is it not illegal to smoke while pregnant?  The poor baby can't just "leave" to escape the smoke! 

• Options
    FYI - it seems MOST of the women responding to this post WERE SMOKERS and QUIT when they found out they were pregnant.  No kidding it is hard to stop, but it isn't THAT hard when you have a baby depending on you!!!
  • Options

To the two women who are saying no one can judge them for wanting to keep smoking while pregnant because no one can understand how hard it is: HELLO! Did you even READ the previous posts? A majority of women on this board were previous smokers, several for a decade or more. Stop making excuses and grow up. You don't have the right to be selfish anymore.

*steps off soapbox*

Yeah, my mom smoked through all five of her pregnancies. Guess how many kids she ended up with? Two. Tell me that's not f%^&ing related. The women who have "perfectly fine" babies despite smoking are the exception to the rule!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"