2nd Trimester
Options

Were OWTs True For You?

Just curious if Old Wives Tales were true for your pregnancy with the corresponding gender? I have had almost no symptoms. I'm only about 13 weeks but my doctor said the worst would have been over by now. I had a week where I was nauseaus and a couple weeks of breast tenderness but really the only things are that my hair is dull and dry, and my skin has been so oily. Everyone says that would mean a baby boy, but my doctor seems to be convinced it will be a girl and I don't know why.

So, how severe were your symptoms? Did they match the gender? Did your doctor predict the gender early on?

Re: Were OWTs True For You?

• Options
    My doctor doesn't try to predict early. There are about 9 or so OWT I did, and they were about 6 for a girl and 3 for a boy. I found out today I'm having a boy. The chinese gender chart was wrong, the fact that I had morning sickness (though it wasn't terrible) was wrong, heartbeat was high (which indicates girl). I forget the others. They are just fun things to do, but I don't think anyone should seriously consider them indicators of your baby's sex.

• Options
    I did a small reveal for family this weekend, & part of my decor was an OWT chart. 7 of them pointed to a girl, and only 2 for a boy. Sure enough, I'm having a boy. 
    I think they're all in good fun, but I don't hold any truth to them. 
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

SaveSave
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    OWT's were (surprisingly) 50/50 for me. I also had very little/no nausea and I'm having a little girl.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    I had a lot of the classic girl OWT symptoms and I'm having a girl:
    -lots of nausea (compared to my pregnancy with DS)
    -bad acne
    -very emotional and moody
    -huge increase in breast size
    -crave sugary things
    -carrying high and got pretty chunky all over
    *The Chinese lunar chart has been wrong for all three of my pregnancies but the ring test has been right. I even looked into biorythms and moon signs (both were right).  I know it's all BS but it's fun trying things to make the waiting more fun!
  • Options
    They were usually about 50/50 for me. Some were right, some were wrong. Happened for all 3 pregnancies so far. 
  • Options
    Almost all of the OWTs pointed to girl for me, but I had a super strong feeling it was a boy. And at 11 weeks actually my doctor said he could tell through sono that he was 95% sure it was a little boy and he did the chromosome blood test that same day...results were back 3 days later confirming he was right. 
    October 2017 May siggy challenge - Parenting fails

DS-02/25/16
    Pregnancy #2-Due 8/24/17 MMC-01/09/17
    DD-Due 10/24/17
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    OWT's all pointed to girl for me and I am I fact having a girl. Idk why your doctor would be speculating though. I made a joke to my doctor about an OWT and she literally laughed and told me not to start picking out the nursery. 
  • Options
    nope, doctor didnt try to predict anything because OWT's re just that: tales. they're right about 50% of the time, obviously, but I'd say if any of them are right for you, it's just luck. the only things i did was the heartrate & Chinese calendar. both predicted girl, & I'm having a boy (:
  • Options
    PinkLady2015PinkLady2015 member
    edited February 2016
    I didn't do any of the crazy stuff like peeing on baking soda or the ring test... I had no morning sickness (boy) but heartbeat above 140 (girl). We also did the Ramzi Theory test (girl) and we're team Pink... I think it's a crapshoot! 

ETA- Chinese gender also said girl 
  • Options
    Soooo my doctor said it based off of what he's seen on previous patients ultrasounds, shape of the skull, location of placenta, etc. He didn't go too much into it but he is Chinese American so maybe there are some cultural things he is using to predict. I'm excited to find out though!!! We are hoping for a baby boy.
  • Options
    Did you use your lunar age? The lunar age is different from your age based on birth date, they do it based off when you 'were concieved' I guess so a year older. I'm 24, but my lunar age is 25 I guess. 
  • Options
    Most OWTs were true for me, but I mean there's a 50/50 chance lol. Chinese gender, belly shape/position, terrible MS. I also found the "baby girls steal your beauty" tale to be true for me. But that was probably just because I felt like crap all of the time and didn't care about my appearance.
  • Options
    I had NO m/s, which some believe means its a boy.
    I craved spicy food, which is also a wives tale that means you are having a boy.
    Chinese calendar predicted boy.

Guess what. Its a girl. And she hasn't "stolen my beauty" yet (at least I hope not!)

I will say that a woman I work with does the ring test on everyone. 3 times she did it on me, and all 3 times it was girl. Of the 10 or 15 of us she has done it on, only once was she wrong. But I don't put a lot of stock in it. Just a fun thing to pass 2 minutes of a boring day at the office. 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    All of the OWT and Chinese Calendars and blah, blah, blah pointed towards boy. We were Team Green. At 41 weeks, I delivered a healthy baby girl. 

So yeah, the OWTs might be fun, but they're not accurate predictors of baby's sex. Science, on the other hand... :wink: 
  • Options
    LadySamLadyLadySamLady member
    edited February 2016
    All of the OWTs, my "motherly intuition" and the Chinese calendar predicted boy. I craved savory foods, I'm carrying low, my skin is clear and yet I am having a girl. My doctor didn't try to predict or even bring up the sex of the baby until after the anatomy scan and even then it only came up because I told her. 

Edited because autocorrect 
  • Options
    WVUPetuniaWVUPetunia member
    edited February 2016
    I did the OWTs because one of my students wanted to use me for a project. ;)  Everything (nausea, heart rate, ring test, cravings, Chinese calendar, etc.) pointed to a girl except some random one where she told me to hold my hands out...  And it's a girl. :)
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • Options
    We are team green (31 weeks) and split about half and half between boy and girl on all the OWTs. We'll see in a couple months!
  • Options
    Pregnant with boy #2 and the pregnancy symptoms for this pregnancy are very different. Almost every wives tale pointed to girl. Chinese gender, lunar timing of conception, morning sickness, weight gain, cravings, at 8w the heart rate was 180+, side i sleep on more often, foot reflexology, I have an anterior placenta so no ramzi for me. The only 2 that really pointed to boy were the baking soda and urine test (done purely for laughs) and the Native American hairline predictor. I am not a true believer in wives tales because I have seen/heard of too many that were opposites, but I did analyze a few things before finding out the gender at 14w and confirmed at 16 and 18w via u/s. We thought it was pink but its blue :)
  • Options
    Everything for me points to boy, but its a girl. :) 
  • Options

My husband's family does this pencil test thing whenever everyone is together and it's something they've been doing for about 20 years on all the females in the family. I'm not even shitting you, it has been right for every single person they've done it on. It correctly predicted how many kids I would be having and what their sex would be. It was fun, I'll admit it but that's about the only weird thing I've done to guess the sex of my kids.

• Options
    Did you use your lunar age? The lunar age is different from your age based on birth date, they do it based off when you 'were concieved' I guess so a year older. I'm 24, but my lunar age is 25 I guess. 
    I used lunar age, and it was wrong. 

• Options
    I checked the Chinese calander and it was right for me. But never checked it before with my other kids. I do know that every pregnancy was different and I have 2 girls and 1 boy. 
  • Options
    Pinkgirl42Pinkgirl42 member
    edited February 2016
    @huskypuppy14 Was just wondering, I had no idea what lunar age is. 

It is interesting how OWT apply to certain people.
    I don't buy* into it, but maybe some of them do have reasons behind them. It is interesting! 
  • Options
    I did a few OWT's for fun and they all said girl. What do you know at my ultrasound baby flipped butt up and showed us his testes. 
  • Options
    A lot of the OWT pointed to girl for me and it is a girl but it's a 50/50 thing. 
  • Options
    They were all right for me but some were only right only if I toyed with them for awhile.

-Chinese Gender Chart thing wasn't right if I used my actual age and calendar conception month.  If I converted to lunar age and lunar month, then it was right. 

-Ramzi was right depending on if you flipped for abdominal ultrasounds or not, some sites said to flip, some said not to.  

I'm not on board with any of them actually meaning much, especially when a simple tweak completely changes the outcome.  

• Options
    I'll let you know in 6 weeks lol
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• Options
    Most owt pointed to boy including Chinese sex chart which by both my age and lunar age said boy I'm having a girl ;) 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    It does make me sad when I hear people excited for a certain gender based on OWTs, then they have the opposite but you just can't trust them 100%! 
  • Options

My husband's family does this pencil test thing whenever everyone is together and it's something they've been doing for about 20 years on all the females in the family. I'm not even shitting you, it has been right for every single person they've done it on. It correctly predicted how many kids I would be having and what their sex would be. It was fun, I'll admit it but that's about the only weird thing I've done to guess the sex of my kids.

A guy that I use to work with, was correctly guessing the sex of people's babies (coworkers, friends, family, etc) for almost 19 years. Mine was the first one he got wrong. He was so bummed that I "ruined" his winning streak. LOL

A guy that I use to work with, was correctly guessing the sex of people's babies (coworkers, friends, family, etc) for almost 19 years. Mine was the first one he got wrong. He was so bummed that I "ruined" his winning streak. LOL
    What's the pencil test thing?? Lol
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• Options
    @KASG

kasg 

1. Stick the needle into the top of the pencil eraser – the pencil should be very sharp.
    2. Place a thread within the needle – two feet of thread should do fine…
    3. The device has been created.
    4. Place the woman’s wrist on a table – back of hand face down
    5. Holding the string with both of your hands, hover the threaded pencil over the wrist – remember, the back of the hand is face down and the palm of the hand is face up.
    6. The Prediction begins:
      With amazement, the end of the pencil (lead side) will begin to move.  It will predict the sex of the child – IN ORDER!
    • Swaying from side-to-side = girl
    • Swaying up-and-down – hand to elbow = boy
    • Swaying  diagonal = Twins! We think!!! Due to the overwhelming response, it seems the diagonal may be a break during “pencil thinking” rather than a twin prediction. We just don’t know! SO if you get a diagonal, don’t go out and buy two of everything, get the Ultrasound first!
  • Options
    @flowerpower5838 Right, there's ones that even say taking a bath when pregnant will drown the baby. Some are just ridiculous.
  • Options
    It does make me sad when I hear people excited for a certain gender based on OWTs, then they have the opposite but you just can't trust them 100%! 
    Sex disappointment makes me sad. My husband and I were both crossing our fingers for a boy, but I can personally tell you I was nothing but thrilled to find out I was having a healthy baby girl. My husband has gotten over his initial fear of 'not knowing how to handle' a daughter, and is now bubbling over with plans on what he wants to teach our daughter to do with cars, what martial art to put her in, decorating her nursery, etc. I think it is normal to have hopes/expectations when you are waiting to find out the sex, but I can't imagine a feeling of disappointment when expectations and reality don't mesh. Like my husband and I agreed, 'This only changes how we plan on potty training right now' until she starts to develop her personality and gender identity. 
  • Options
    thebigoaktreethebigoaktree member
    edited February 2016
    Old wives tales mean jack when it comes to my son, everything that would say girl, nope so far a very healthy boy. Chinese calendar-wrong, HB-wrong(midwife also looked at me like I was a crazy for bringing it up, couldn't really blame her), still have a horrible sweet tooth and want all the cake-so wrong. My mom even had 3 pregnancy dreams that I was having a girl-wrong again. I believe in science. 

Me: 30, DH: 31

Married: May 16th 2015

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker